PDA

View Full Version : What's the best player's racquet for your shoulder?

bpt7
12-15-2004, 10:28 AM
I've been playing w/my Dunlop 200g MW for quite a few years now, but over the past year or so I keep developiong shoulder tendinitis. I do love this racquet, but now I'm thinking maybe I should switch to a lighter raquet. I'm a 4.0 rated player, and have an all around court game. I usually like to serve and volley, but I have no problem staying back and bang the ball. I tried the 200g HM and 300g HM and I was very disappointed w/them. Tried the Diablo and Prestige classic, but they're too heavy. Wondering if there are any particular raquets you recommend I'd demo....thanks in advance.

Hal
12-15-2004, 11:03 AM
This may be in the "Too Heavy" category (so will most/all "player's racquets"), but the nCode Six-One 95 is pretty shoulder friendly.

BreakPoint
12-15-2004, 11:27 AM
A racquet that's easier on the shoulder than the nSix-One 95 is the PS 6.0 95 Original. Yes, it's over 12 oz. in static weight but due to its very headlight balance, it swings more like a 11.5 oz. racquet. I've had no shoulder problems with this racquet at all. It's also great for serving and volleying due to its maneuverability. Gives you enough weight to pound the serve and to be stable on volleys, while being easy to move around all at the same time. Best of both worlds!! It's also not stiff like most newer racquets but has a soft but crisp feel, which is better for your arm and shoulder. Give it a try!

alleycat
12-15-2004, 12:29 PM
I had a similar situation in that I played with the Dunlop Revelation Tour Pro for years, and developed shoulder impingement problems. But I then went too light, and perhaps long, to a Head Fire Tour Pro, which did not improve my shoulder. I think you need to find a happy medium weight, over 11 0z. as I did with the Yonex MP 3i which has been great for my shoulder, but unfortunately is discontinued. I suspect the Yonex rxd 500's, which are frequently mentioned on this site are shoulder friendly so you might want to give them a demo. I also briefly tried a Diablo MP which was not particularly shoulder friendly. Good luck.

Hal
12-15-2004, 12:35 PM
As a current nSix-One user and a long time (~20 years) user of both the PS 6.0 95 Original, and the PS 85, I have to differ with BreakPoint. The nSix-One 95 is a more comfortable racquet than the PS 6.0 95 Original. At least this is what my 38 year old shoulder has told me. Other players on this board have confirmed my observation. The stats show that the nSix-One is slightly more flexible than the PS 6.0 95 (65 vs 67, respectively).

That said, both the nSix-One 95 and the PS6.0 95 are probably better for you than your 200g MW. Also, if you're looking for a lighter racquet (which doesn't necessarily mean better for the shoulder), then the PS 6.0 will feel lighter due to the lighter swing weight. The downside of the lower swingweight (IMHO) is that the PS 6.0 95 it's not as stable as the nSix-One 95 from the back court.

BreakPoint
12-15-2004, 12:52 PM
I agree that the nSix-One 95 is more stable than the PS 6.0 95 but it also swings heavier which means it may put more stress on your shoulder, especially when serving. I've always found the PS 6.0 95's stiffness rating of 67 to be very, very misleading. It feels more like 60 or less to me and feels much more flexible than many other racquets that are rated at less than 67, e.g., Slaz X-1, Head LM Instinct, 300G, Volkl Tour 10, etc. I think it's because it has a stiff throat (the point where the RDC machine rates it) but a very flexible hoop which gives it an overall soft feel.

Hal
12-15-2004, 01:12 PM
bpt7, BreakPoint makes some valid points. The upper hoop of the PS 6.0 95 is flexible, making it seem like a lower flex racquet. I can only pass along "my" experience with these two racquets. If I were you, I'd demo both the nSix-One 95 and the PS6.0 95 (amoung others), to see which (if either) works for you.

kreative
12-15-2004, 01:17 PM
maybe the volkl tour 10 mp, v-engine 10 mid/mp, pk 5g or ki5

Craig Sheppard
12-15-2004, 01:36 PM
Before you switch racquets, have you thought about working out more? I am in a smiilar situation--if I play matches on 2 straight days or more, my shoulder starts to suffer due to my serve. I can't tell if it's my 12+ oz racquet, or if I need to workout my shoulder more to gain some strength and stability. My guess is the latter; I'd just say consider the possibility...

Craig

NoBadMojo
12-15-2004, 01:41 PM
anyone else connecting dots between dunlops and shoulder probs? i dunnno about some of the other frames, but the 200gHM seems tough on shoulders..you have both Haas and Stephenson using a version of it and both had shoulder surgery, some tw posters have complained of this, and in the playtest of this frame i did for TW iwas feeling shoulder twinges and i dont have a shoulder prob other than what you get from banging serves for many years. maybe the poster can confirm it is the diabloMP he thinks is too heavy, because if that's the case, all the racquets suggetsed here are really not gonna swing light enough for him i dont think..anywho, sounds like the guy is looking for lighter

alan-n
12-15-2004, 03:07 PM
Before changing racquets. Maybe there are small changes you can do to your technique to relieve stress from your shoulder. Are you getting your body sideways enough on the serve to help rotate your shoulder freely? etc. etc.

netman
12-15-2004, 05:33 PM
Maybe you should see a doctor first. You didn't state your age, but shoulders do experience a lot of wear and tear and as you age and a natural by-product of this is a loss of tissue stamina. So the joint tires quicker and is more easily injured. Could just be that you are aging. If you are younger, you may just have some acute trauma that will heal with some rest. I'm one of the older guys and have had shoulder surgery. Every once in awhile I have some pain flare up. Could be from weight lifting, could be the tennis, or could be the yard work. Some rest and a switch to the PK 5g gets me through it. Then I go back to my very stiff tweener frame with no problems.

Folks are too quick to blame racquets on this forum. FWIW, sometimes a little R&R will cure the problem.

bpt7
12-16-2004, 06:10 AM
Thanks for all the info and help. To answer your question I'm 28 and yes, I do work out 3-4 times a week. Already went to the doctor and there's nothing serious with my shoulder other than tendinitis once in a while. So I was thinking maybe it's the racquet since I have no pain when I go to the driving range or lift weights. I did try to change my serving motion and that seemed to be better....I've been playing with a 200g MW for the past 4-5 years and I'm guessing maybe the frames are "old" and it's time to switch. I don't want to go to "light" because that will probably lead to wrist injury. I basically want a raqcuet so my arm won't fall off or my shoulder won't start bothering me in the second match of the day when I play a weekend tourney.

Xevoius
12-16-2004, 07:20 AM
I used to play with the same racquet about 6 months ago, am 29 years old and also had arm/shoulder issues on my serve. I pulled an old POG OS out of my garage and took it out for a spin since it is the highest rated racquet on www.racquetresearch.com (check out the shoulder pull category) and have not looked back. No pain whatsoever. My serve has slowed down a little but my groundstrokes have made up for it. I took me about 3 hit sessions to get used to the added weight but I think the weight made all the difference. If you don't have access to a POG OS, I would suggest adding weight to your current racquet. It will force you to change your service motion and make the racquet do more work for you.

NoBadMojo
12-16-2004, 07:48 AM
sounds to me like the guy would be well 'served' by taking a serving lesson or two from a 'good' teaching pro, who could correct whatever move is causing his problem and also recommend a couple great racquets for his situation.

ferrari_827
12-16-2004, 09:07 AM
I was interested in getting the HM200g since I don't have a Dunlop in my collection, but after hearing about all these shoulder problems I decided against it. The 300g is too light for me.

netman
12-16-2004, 09:17 AM
ferrari_827, If you are interested in a nice Dunlop player's racquet track down a Select Pro MP or Tour Pro MP. Select Pro is similiar to the Prince Graphite but with a little more flex and good shock control through the ISIS system. Select Pro MP weighs in at 12.5 oz. and is a fabulous control stick. Tour Pro has a slightly thicker frame than the Select Pro and is also slightly lighter and more powerful. I found the Slaz PBH to be very similiar to the Tour Pro, except the Slaz is much stiffer.

bpt7
12-16-2004, 09:29 AM
I play with a 200g MW not HM. And yes, I did take a "serve" lesson and the pro said it's nothing wrong with my serve motion(I do use my kick serve a lot), so now I try to use it less often and go flat most of the time. So I'm really ot sure if the HM also causes shoulder problems...but from what I heard so far I'm not the only one here who feels like the Dunlops do cause shoulder problems. Thanks for your input and it looks like I'll be trying quite a few frames in the near future :-)

NoBadMojo
12-16-2004, 10:26 AM
enjoy the hunt....maybe call the pro if you trust him and ask him/her to give you some suggestions since he at least knows your game a bit..otherwise it's pretty much a crap shoot. i think if you can explore the pk and volkl family of racquets, many of those are really kind to your body..i was impressed w. the new PK Ki5, and that swings lighter than what you were using but took alot of work for me to kick it very well, but you could smoke flat bombs w. it and it is easy on the joints. if you wish to get the kick back, go open string pattern and pretty headlight for headspeed and nothing over 100sq in.. maybe just see what suits you specwise and take a few out for a spin...

Steve Huff
12-16-2004, 12:18 PM
I posted before, but it must have gotten deleted for some odd reason. I think the 5g (Ki 5) is a good choice. It is very headlight and the swingweight is low for it's static weight. Heavy rackets seem to be easy on the elbow, but tough on the shoulder. The 5g seems to have a good mixture to where it's friendly on both. The kinetic system probably helps in that respect too.