PDA

View Full Version : Multi/ ALU hybrid

edge
03-21-2004, 08:52 PM
If I hybrid NXT Max 16 and ALU in the Volkl 9V-engine, which string would you suggest I use for the mains? Thanks.

Swan Song
03-21-2004, 10:43 PM
I would suggest Babolat Syntronic Brio. It has a soft/firm feel because of the hard outer shell. It works really with ALU on my POG MP strung at 54lbs.

edge
03-22-2004, 06:09 AM
Yeah but I got 15 packages of NXT MAX 16 to use, so do I string it in the mains or crosses with ALU?

Gaines Hillix
03-22-2004, 10:37 AM
edge, my experience with polys with softer strings is that it makes the string bed feel springy. The trampoline effect is pronounced. If you're going to do this, I'd suggest a crisp playing string like Laserfibre Laser Supreme instead of NXT Max.

edge
03-22-2004, 11:51 AM
Thanks, Gaines, but I'm not going to let the 15 packages of NXT Max sit on the shelf...so do I string the NXT or the ALU in the mains?

Grimjack
03-22-2004, 11:55 AM
If you've got that many, I'd just recommend you try it both ways. If you have a preference for control setups over livelier ones, try it with the poly's in the mains first. You'll find it springier than a pure poly, but less so than a full NXT job. Maybe it'll do the trick.

If you prefer lively, but want to tame it just a little, and tire of excessive string movement, try it the other way first, with the NXT as mains.

*shrug* Won't know till you try, right? You've got the stock to experiment. Do it.

edge
03-22-2004, 12:50 PM
Grim, yeah, I've strung one with ALU mains. Problem is, tournament coming up for my son in 2 weeks and I want to give him 2 alike. Looks like I will string the other with NXT mains and see which one he likes. All ALU is too powerful, all NXT is not enuf power but good control, so a hybrid is logical. Previously used all ALU with ZONE 7.1 but his new Volkl 9V racquet is more powerful and livelier. Thanks.

Grimjack
03-22-2004, 02:22 PM
All ALU is too powerful, all NXT is not enuf power but good control, so a hybrid is logical.

:shock:

I think most would find this line of thinking odd. In my experience, NXT (or other multi) is FAR more powerful than any poly. ALU may be more powerful than the average poly, but is still quite a bit deader than your average multi.

If he finds an all-ALU job too powerful, I might suggest going with a less lively poly (Super Smash or TiMo or something) for the mains, and softening it with the NXT that you don't want to waste for the crosses.

Whatever you opt for, though, best of luck with it. And best of luck to the kid in the upcoming thingy.

edge
03-22-2004, 03:10 PM
Athough ALU has a muted feel, it has alot more pop then the typical poly. ALU has more pop than NXT Tour, which is the most powerful synthetic that Wilson makes. Changing racquets always takes some time to get the new racquet complemented with the right strings, thanks.

touchytennis
03-23-2004, 02:35 AM
just wondering, if u string hybrid with poly and multi, and the multi breaks. do you restring the whole setup? or just the multi?