PDA

View Full Version : Last demo question...second time around!!!

TripleB
12-15-2004, 10:59 AM
After this question I will exile myself from creating posts.

I'm going to demo four racquets: the RDX-500 Mid, the RDX-500 Midplus, and two of these four:

Yonex RDX-500 HD Midplus

Volkl Tour 10 V-Engine Mid

Head LiquidMetal Prestige Midplus

Babolat Pure Control 98

In your opinion, which two out of the four do you think I should include with the RDX-500 Mid and RDX-500 Midplus in my four demos.

I'm looking for excellent control, good spin potential, comfortable feel, and solid groundstrokes.

Thanks for your opinions.

TripleB

BreakPoint
12-15-2004, 11:30 AM
Unfortunately, in my opinion, NONE of the four have the "excellent control, good spin potential, comfortable feel, and solid groundstrokes" that you're looking for. Just my opinion.

BTW, BBB, how are you liking the PS 6.0 95?

kreative
12-15-2004, 01:23 PM
v-engine mid, and pure control.

jayserinos99
12-15-2004, 01:33 PM
^ i second the t10 ve mid and the pc98

BLiND
12-15-2004, 01:36 PM
Prestige MP, and RDX 500 MP HD for completness.... IMHO

SC in MA
12-15-2004, 01:44 PM
Head LiquidMetal Prestige Midplus. I'd love to hear your review of this stick vs the Yonex RDX 500's.

TripleB
12-15-2004, 02:53 PM
BreakPoint,

I'm liking it much better than any of the other three racquets I'm reviewing right now. It just has that classic feel along the lines of the POG or the Wilson 6.0 85. Something the others (even the Tour 90) don't have. BTW: that's my least favorite of the four. I compared the PS6.0 95 a little beside my POG mid the other night and liked the POG mid much better BUT that is probably because I'm accustomed to it. I think, with my type of stringing in it and a little time, I could learn to love the 6.0 95.

If I had to put the four racquets in order right now of how I think I would like them based on what I've read:

1) Volkl - I had a chance to try this for a brief time and liked the feel, not great in the topspin department but not as bad as I would have thought with 18/20 and a 93 sq in head, I also liked the Volkl 10 before this but felt it was underpowered...heard this version has more.

2) Pure Control - I reviewed the longbody of this racquet and really liked the feel of the ball coming off the frame but could never get used to the extra length, always wondered what the shorter version would feel like.

3) Head LM Prestige MP - the 75 for power on the review scares me a little bit because I think the nCode nSix-One 95 I'm reviewing right now has a little too much power for me, especially when trying to take the ball on the rise and hit a winner, and it only received a 72 in it's review.

4) RDX-500 HD - it sounds like it doesn't offer as comfy of ride as the other two RDX-500s

Thanks for all your picks so far. I greatly appreciate them.

TripleB

ragnaROK
12-15-2004, 03:25 PM
TripleB, I also had the same problem with the PC+ when I used to play with it. I have since gone with the standard length one and it plays great. I'm assuming you're talking about the older graphics/weight one.

SC in MA
12-15-2004, 04:45 PM
TripleB: I played with the older, heavier Bab PC Std. for about 6 months. Great for groundstrokes with power and control, but I found it wasn't manuverable enough for my all court game. I especially noticed this problem on stretch, reach, out-of-position type shots, and also volleys.

Currently, I've been playing with the nCode 6.1 95 since last summer. It was initially strung with gut and I had a real problem with too much power, not enough control. I switched strings to plain, old Prince Syn Gut at a higher string tension and the power diminished considerably. I now consider it a very comfy, solid, stable, control racket. In fact, I would like to bump up the power a bit. I think I'll string it next with ALU Power.

I had a chance to hit with the LM Prestige MidPlus for about 5 minutes yesterday. My main impression was the racket has a very solid, plow thru the ball with control feel to it on groundstrokes. Volleys felt solid as did the few serves I hit with it. I would like to spend more time with one.

newbie123
12-15-2004, 08:42 PM
The LM Prestige MP is not more powerful than the nCode 6.1 95. Its pretty low powered and flexible. Its very solid, excellent feel due to the flex. However, like some people said, I sometimes felt I had to put in a lot of extre effort to hit nice, deep shots. It may have been the relatively tight 16g string in the demo, but I felt I had to muscle many of the balls. It is very comfortable, has good spin potential, and is solid on groundstrokes. Control depends on what you define as control. The LM Prestige is the kind of racquet where you have to hit through most of your shots to have them deep. If you prefer a racquet that requires you to put in a lot of effort and strength but rewards you with a lot of control this is it. But if you prefer a little more easy power(like me) to put away some shots this probably wont work as well, unless you string with a more powerful string.

TopSpinner
12-15-2004, 09:47 PM
Why not try the Kennex Ki 5. I've hit with 5G and it's very good in all the areas you listed with exception of slightly higher power level and Ki5 is supposed to be an improvement over 5G.

12-16-2004, 05:29 AM
IMHO the Pure Control is the 'antithesis' of a good-feeling racquet: the frame is stiff and the stringbed feels 'disconnected' from the frame due to woofer effect. It is a stiff frame with a soft stringbed. Lots of pop, spin and is stable....but feel? NO.

TripleB
12-16-2004, 06:37 AM
TopSpinner,

I demoed the PK Ionic Ki-15 for TW

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/TRIPB03.html

and hated almost everything about the racquet. I'm sure the 5 is a different beast but I'm sort of anti-PK at this point.

007...thanks for the input and great description.

Thanks for everyone's input here!!!

TripleB

SC in MA
12-16-2004, 08:03 AM
newbie123: Thanks for the input on the LM Prestige MP.

TripleB
12-16-2004, 03:55 PM
OK IT BOILS DOWN TO CHOOSING THREE FROM THE FOLLOWING FOUR RACQUETS (the rdx-500 mid is in):

YONEX RDX-500 MIDPLUS

YONEX RDX-500 HD MIDPLUS

BABOLAT PURE CONTROL 98 SQ IN

VOLKL TOUR 10 V-ENGINE MID

SO, WHICH THREE OF THE FOUR DO YOU THINK I SHOULD GO WITH TO DEMO?

FYI: the Prestige racquets were taken out for a crazy reason...I've never been comfortable with the Head grips on my forehand (stupid reason I know but that's the best one I got).

Thanks for this last vote.

TripleB

drak
12-22-2004, 05:33 AM
Benj, why did you demo the Ki "light series"? The PSE's look right up your alley (11.5-11.6 oz) as do the "core" rackets. You picked one you were destined to not like.

Drak

TripleB
12-22-2004, 08:33 AM
Tennis Warehouse asked me to do a review of the Ki-15:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/TRIPB03.html

That's the reason I demoed it...it was one of the three that they asked me to complete a comparitive review for.

TripleB

Mies
12-22-2004, 11:20 PM
TripleB, oddly enough, I find the Head grips a bit odd for my backhand, geh (full western backhand, semi-western forehand) :)..........
Nonetheless, I hit with the LM prestige MP for 6 weeks during the end of the summer season, including two double tourney's. I have long, fast strokes and I must say this is a very comfortable racket. I had no problems with getting the ball deep and it volleys great, if you put some effort in. I must say that my arm never got tired out, not even after two three set doubles on a single day so........I' m now considering buying one.

As for the Babolat, I hit with it for 10 mins and quickly gave it back to its owner. I did not like the feel of it, then again, I don't like the feel of all the babolats I played with so far. They all seem to feel like wooden boards to me, too stiff.

So, in short, my suggestion, toss out the babolat and put in the prestige!

Regards,

Mies

TripleB
12-23-2004, 06:43 AM
I ordered the Yonex RDX-500 Series (Mid, Midplus, HD Midplus) and the Babolat Pure Control 98 sq in. They should be in on Monday. I'll try to put up a short review/comparison in a couple weeks. Thanks for everyone's advice.

TripleB