PDA

View Full Version : MG Prestige Pro vs Midplus

Offshore
01-28-2008, 02:56 PM
I have read the many good posts and reviews on the Microgel Prestige lineup and as a long time Prestige lover, and current FXP Prestige MP user, I am wondering how people compare the Pro v MP since the frames have been out for a couple of weeks. I am looking for a direct comparison if possible because I like the idea of an open pattern Prestige option and even liked the low swingweight of the Pro and spin capability but it would be interesting to hear what others experiences were when demoing both. I enjoyed the MP for different reasons (more heft, slightly more control). I only had a brief time to hit with each stick and might give one of them a longer term tryout. I have a relatively flat all court game with 2H backhand at about 4.0-4.5 level.

edit: The Michael Chaho thread was particulary helpful...any follow to that?

Pro_Tour_630
01-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Like I said, in the next 6 months to a year all we are going to hear on this forum is the new Head Pro Vs the New C10 pro, Head is going to take away fans from C10 pro users IMO. It is light open pattern yet stable

jc883
01-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Very interested in the comparison as well. Some mentioned that the MGP Pro vibrates quite a bit when hitting groundstrokes, and not as stable as the MGP Mid+, not sure if that's true.

BMG
01-28-2008, 05:03 PM
I thought that the Pro version was light for a Prestige frame (swingweight wise) but it seemed surprisingly stable. It took a while to get used to a) the LOW swingweight..it felt like it was under 310) b) the open string pattern and c) the headlight balance.

After playing it a while though I really started to like the spin generation and maneuverability of the stick. While it still didn't feel like a "Prestige" it is a very good frame. Consistent kick serves, good control, lively stringbed, and nice volleys. I think that the MP version of the MG Prestige is meant for a different animal - more control, more stability, less power. I guess it depends on what you are looking for to help your game. Like Michael Chaho said; the Pro version lends itself nicely to different string setup variations. I am looking into that myself.

VikingSamurai
01-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Well I went with the MGP mid+ and I am coming from using mid frames.. I like what I see so far..

Pro_Tour_630
01-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Like Michael Chaho said; the Pro version lends itself nicely to different string setup variations. I am looking into that myself.
nice post, thanks

Seacoast Stringer
04-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Pro Tour 630 mentioned that the MG Prestige Pro was sensitive to string setups and during the past several weeks my doubles partner has taken quite a liking to this frame. What have some of you done to customize your Pros? A little lead on the hoop; have you found a nice string setup? Any recommendations are welcome as he is looking for just a tad more pop from the frame. Currently he is using NRG 18g @ 58 lbs. with no lead anywhere (yet?). Thanks

jayserinos99
04-28-2008, 12:23 AM
My MGPPs were strung with Toughgut 16L mains, Isospeed Pro 17 crosses at 56/62. If I were to restring them, I'd go a bit lower. I could add a bit lead but I liked them stock with a leather grip.

Matt21
04-28-2008, 04:06 AM
I demo'd both and ended up buying the MP. The pro was okay, but to me, felt sluggish compared to the MP. I'd say it hit a tad heavier ball, but the control just wasn't there like with the MP. Also, I compared the Pro to another 16x19, 98sq" frame that I have (Yonex RDS002 Tour). Basically, the Yonex outshined the MG Prestige Pro in swing speed, weight of shot and touch (including volleys). I'm sure the strings may have had something to do with it, but again, I ended up sticking with the 18x20 and am glad I did.

pmerk34
05-03-2008, 05:55 PM
I have read the many good posts and reviews on the Microgel Prestige lineup and as a long time Prestige lover, and current FXP Prestige MP user, I am wondering how people compare the Pro v MP since the frames have been out for a couple of weeks. I am looking for a direct comparison if possible because I like the idea of an open pattern Prestige option and even liked the low swingweight of the Pro and spin capability but it would be interesting to hear what others experiences were when demoing both. I enjoyed the MP for different reasons (more heft, slightly more control). I only had a brief time to hit with each stick and might give one of them a longer term tryout. I have a relatively flat all court game with 2H backhand at about 4.0-4.5 level.

edit: The Michael Chaho thread was particulary helpful...any follow to that?
The pro has more power, is heavier and and generates spin easier. The midplus is a tad lighter, more maneuverable (more headlight) and more control oriented. In fact, the MP basically has insane control but if you want to build your game around power and need even only a small bit of help from your frame the MP will not be of use to you. The player must supply every drop of power with the MP.