PDA

View Full Version : Lead tape on handle. Where?

jelichek
01-28-2008, 06:25 PM
Let's say I want to put one ounce (28 grams) of lead tape on the handle of my stick. Does it make a difference in balance/swing weight etc. as to where it goes? At the top? At the bottom? Or evenly dispersed from top to bottom or bottom to top? Thanks for the info. :???:

vsbabolat
01-28-2008, 06:33 PM
What is the starting weight, balance, swing weight of the racquet?
What is the final weight, balance, and swing weight you want the racquet to have?
Do you own a balance board?
Do you own a scale?

jelichek
01-29-2008, 06:00 AM
I'm gonna re-phrase the question. The lead is already there. The balance is all set. All I really wanna know is where is best place ON HANDLE to put lead, if there is one/a difference at all?

MichaelChang
01-29-2008, 06:04 AM
I'm gonna re-phrase the question. The lead is already there. The balance is all set. All I really wanna know is where is best place ON HANDLE to put lead, if there is one/a difference at all?

yeah. putting it differently on different places on handle, could change the balance.

PROTENNIS63
01-29-2008, 09:07 AM
put it under your leather or replacement grip. I have seend some people but it under the butt cap as well.

stox
01-29-2008, 10:45 AM
put it under your leather or replacement grip. I have seend some people but it under the butt cap as well.

Please make sure if you put it under the grip itself that you wrap it with something like electrical tape or plastic wrap. Sweat + Lead over time = Yikes! Also note that it will build up your grip if you place it under the grip obviously.

LPShanet
01-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Let's say I want to put one ounce (28 grams) of lead tape on the handle of my stick. Does it make a difference in balance/swing weight etc. as to where it goes? At the top? At the bottom? Or evenly dispersed from top to bottom or bottom to top? Thanks for the info. :???:

A full ounce is quite a bit of weight. You might consider using a material other than lead tape. Either way, you'll probably want to put it INSIDE the handle rather than on it. Many racquet technicians use lead weights (similar to fishing weights) and secure them inside the handle. Regardless of which material you use, you will also probably want to secure the weight inside the handle by using foam, silicone or other binder that keeps it from coming loose. You can get further instruction on relevant techniques from the USRSA or by consulting a racquet technician.

Kaptain Karl
01-29-2008, 11:09 PM
If you are seriously asking this question you should give more info, as requested by this user....
What is the starting weight, balance, swing weight of the racquet?
What is the final weight, balance, and swing weight you want the racquet to have?
Do you own a balance board?
Do you own a scale?

Also ... what's your goal? (More / less "oomph!" on what shots? When? How?)

Some placements can make dramatic differences with just a few grams of lead. Other placements (like inside the grip) could hardly impact your strokes/shots with (say) 20 grams. (You'll find TT-ers are very willing to help ... if you give them enough information.)

What are you trying to accomplish and why?

- KK

pabletion
02-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Please make sure if you put it under the grip itself that you wrap it with something like electrical tape or plastic wrap. Sweat + Lead over time = Yikes! Also note that it will build up your grip if you place it under the grip obviously.

REALLY??????????? I placed lead tape under the grip, and then use an extra over grip on top, but never really thought it could be harmful, is it??? Lead poisoning???? Is there a risk? I mean, scientifically or statistically speaking... should I cover the lead tape with something, like you say, like electrical tape? Please someone who knows about it, any help will be appreciated and might even prevent diseases!!!!

aimr75
02-03-2008, 04:40 PM

anyone experienced any issues not wrapping the lead tape with anything?
________
And Jeep Transmissions (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/AMC_and_Jeep_transmissions)

HyperHorse
02-04-2008, 02:24 AM
REALLY??????????? I placed lead tape under the grip, and then use an extra over grip on top, but never really thought it could be harmful, is it??? Lead poisoning???? Is there a risk? I mean, scientifically or statistically speaking... should I cover the lead tape with something, like you say, like electrical tape? Please someone who knows about it, any help will be appreciated and might even prevent diseases!!!!

I've been putting lead tape on the handle with nothing covering it other than my replacement + over grip.
I haven't had any adverse health problems.

sharpblade
02-04-2008, 05:04 AM
you should put the lead tape under the butt cap.

JavierLW
02-04-2008, 06:42 AM
anyone experienced any issues not wrapping the lead tape with anything?

I found that if I dont wrap it with something, it comes off when I want to take the replacment grip off. So I put a layer of packaging tape over it to keep that from happening. (I dont like buying new lead tape everytime I change grips)

Otherwise with a replacment grip and an overgrip over it Im not sure how much of a big deal it is, but it's easy enough to wrap it anyway.

origmarm
02-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Whenever I have used lead tape on the handle I have taken off the buttcap and put it inside the handle. Here you can see two methods:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Customizing/customize.html
towards the bottom

As to the balance, the short answer is yes it will affect it but not much. If you look here:
http://www.hoboy.net/Hoboy/formulas.xls
another poster made this but you can see the effect on balance of moving the position of the weight in centimeters up from the buttcap

PROTENNIS63
02-04-2008, 07:30 AM

If he puts it under a replacement grip than of course it will be wrapped with something. Especially if he is using an overgrip over that.

stox
02-04-2008, 09:19 AM
I'm not sure I can phrase this clearer but I'll try with an analogy. Think of a large underground source of lead, when it rains this lead seeps throughout the surrounding area (i.e. you sweat and lead seeps into the grip and even overgrip). Now think about a kid playing in the mud after this rain as well, the water + his sweat causes the lead to seep and come in contact with his skin (i.e. the lead is transferred from the grip/overgrip to your hand eventually).

Whether or not this is enough to hurt you, well I am no expert and cannot say whether it will or not. I just prefer not to take chances on something like that.

JavierLW
02-04-2008, 09:44 AM
I'm not sure I can phrase this clearer but I'll try with an analogy. Think of a large underground source of lead, when it rains this lead seeps throughout the surrounding area (i.e. you sweat and lead seeps into the grip and even overgrip). Now think about a kid playing in the mud after this rain as well, the water + his sweat causes the lead to seep and come in contact with his skin (i.e. the lead is transferred from the grip/overgrip to your hand eventually).

Whether or not this is enough to hurt you, well I am no expert and cannot say whether it will or not. I just prefer not to take chances on something like that.

Then you shouldnt use lead. If they surrounded that underground storage tape with electrical tape or packaging tape, that's hardly going to solve the problem.

Im surprised nobody makes tungsten tape or some other dense material.

But like I said, I think you'd want to cover it up anyway because it might get yanked off when you pull off the replacement grip, and who wants to reapply it all everytime??

stox
02-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Then you shouldnt use lead. If they surrounded that underground storage tape with electrical tape or packaging tape, that's hardly going to solve the problem.

Im surprised nobody makes tungsten tape or some other dense material.

But like I said, I think you'd want to cover it up anyway because it might get yanked off when you pull off the replacement grip, and who wants to reapply it all everytime??

Yeah I personally don't wrap lead around my grip, but since the option was brought up I was just suggesting that he protect himself. The reason for the tape / plastic is that it is less porous, so less water in and out. Lead inside the handle, or fishing weights, or if you need extreme weight then Javier had it right, tungsten welding rods are really heavy and can be cut easily with a dremel tool. I wonder why no one makes a tungsten tape? It's about 1/2 again as heavy as lead, but maybe it's not as malleable or cost effective?

Cup8489
02-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Yeah I personally don't wrap lead around my grip, but since the option was brought up I was just suggesting that he protect himself. The reason for the tape / plastic is that it is less porous, so less water in and out. Lead inside the handle, or fishing weights, or if you need extreme weight then Javier had it right, tungsten welding rods are really heavy and can be cut easily with a dremel tool. I wonder why no one makes a tungsten tape? It's about 1/2 again as heavy as lead, but maybe it's not as malleable or cost effective?

probably not very malleable except in a thicker layer, if its too thin it could just break apart...but that would be a useful tool...