PDA

View Full Version : Is there a male kournikova?

@wright
03-21-2004, 09:05 PM
I got to thinking, has there ever been a supremely talented and well-known male player to never win a pro tournament? The fact that kournikova cracked the top 10 without winning any hardware is pretty remarkable. Discuss amongst yourselves...

kickingbird
03-21-2004, 11:19 PM
Does he have to have the looks of Kournikova too? How about Xavier Malisse, has he won a title yet? I reckon he's an all right player.

kickingbird
03-21-2004, 11:20 PM
...Or does this only count retired players?

Deuce
03-22-2004, 12:28 AM
I suppose if there is a male equal, it has to be Mark Philippoussis. He's probably won a tournament or two, but he is an extreme 'underachiever' whose 'looks' are much discussed, and whose off court 'pursuits' became a priority, to the detriment of his game.

hlkimfung
03-22-2004, 02:09 AM
Gambill, Blake, Lapentti, all good looking

Gambill - Only about 5 titles, one or two slam qtr, never hit the top 10, always popular

Blake - only title was Washington two years ago, did he ever made a slam qtr?

Lapentti - 5 titles, did reach no.6 years back, but disappear from the weekend prime time for quite a while

@wright
03-22-2004, 07:56 AM
I'm not talking about looks here, just achievments and clout. So blake only has 1 title...

Django
03-22-2004, 09:24 AM
Before last year, I would have said James Blake or Max Miryni would be the prime candidates -- but both won their first tournaments. Even Vince Spadea broke through for the first time, with his recent win in Scottsdale (at age 29!).

But I've always maintained that the criticism of Anna K is horribly unfair. The point is, nobody considered Blake, Miryni or Spadea underachievers or "losers" the way they do w/ Anna K. I'm not blind to the fact that many people resent her endorsement income, as if it somehow needs to be "justified" w/ tournament wins.

C'mon, just to play at the highest levels of the professional game is achievement enough. Think of the high regard you hold for your club pro who, perhaps, got into the second round at Wimbledon one year, or once took a set off of Jimmy Connors.

03-22-2004, 09:52 AM
absolutely X.Malisse.....this guy is smooooooooooooooth on the court but has yet to bring home any significant hardware. The SCUD defintely underachived when he was living on South Beach...spent more time on jetskis & waxing his sports cars that on the practise court. But he's relatively healthy & focused now.

Free_Martha
03-22-2004, 10:16 AM
The fact that kournikova cracked the top 10 without winning any hardware is pretty remarkable.

I guess it never occured to you that "depth" and "WTA" go together like wine and beer, and considering how lame and weak the women's field is, Minnie Mouse could be rated in the Top 20 without ever having to set foot on court.

@wright
03-22-2004, 10:35 AM
Since when do wine & beer not go together? Your post makes about as much sense as peanut butter and eggs.

Stinkdyr
03-22-2004, 10:43 AM
Jan Michelle.

GUYANA4U
03-22-2004, 10:44 AM
I believe it was Gambill who was given the title of " Male kournikova" a few years ago when He was on People Magazine's most beautiful list. Or something like this!

Fee
03-22-2004, 11:35 AM
Yeah, but then he won a few singles titles and stopped the off-court stuff and smart people stopped calling him that. JMG answered that question at the USO last year and did a pretty good job of it.

I would go with Malisse. He has so much talent and I've always wondered why he's not a consistent Top 20 player. I worry that Ginepri may end up in that category if he can't get his head together and utilize his talents better.

chad shaver
03-22-2004, 12:27 PM
Cedric Pioline fit the bill for many years. Seems like he went 0-11 in finals, then finally started winning them.