PDA

View Full Version : Best Racquet for an almost 5 year old

cadfael_tex
01-28-2008, 07:11 PM
What is the best racquet to get for my son who turns 5 in April. He's tall for his age (need to go measure him I guess). Not looking to turn him into the next great pro, just want him to see if he enjoys the game. (Please no Dora the explorer :evil:)

meowmix
01-28-2008, 07:18 PM
If the kid has self respect, then he shouldn't go with Dora the Explorer. I think it'd be fair to start him off on a fairly cheap racket. I think you might want to start him off with a Walmart racket. Take him to Walmart and let him choose a racket. If he likes the sport, then come back to the forum and we'll recomend you some decent frames. There's no need to get a 100 dollar junior frame if he decides to quit tomorrow.

cadfael_tex
01-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Agreed that I'm not spending 100 bucks but what about length. Read on one site that you shouldn't give them anything under 25 inches which will make them struggle at first but build up arm strength fast. Doesn't sound like a way to make it much fun though. So what length is approriate? Anything in particular to avoid?

TheShaun
01-28-2008, 07:22 PM
K90? PS 6.0 85? the smaller the person the smaller the frame :)

nonick
01-28-2008, 07:28 PM
click (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/catpage-JUNRACQUET.html)
my daughter is almost 8 and she is using nblade 25" she is pretty happy with it even the raquet bit big for her.
show him his choices let him pick, there is a dunlop 21" looks pretty cool.

CityHeightsTennis
01-28-2008, 07:29 PM
a Babolat Pure Drive?... sorry can't be a big help....but it's relatively light...

Bud
01-28-2008, 08:07 PM
PK Black Ace with lead at 10 and 2 :oops:

Get her/him a juniors racquet... not one of those nasty barbie Serena racquets.

TheShaun
01-28-2008, 08:21 PM
that 21 inch air shark looks cool. what little boy wouldn't like that. but it is only for baseline bashers...

Pro_Tour_630
01-29-2008, 07:47 PM
as the person who knows most on this forum regarding frames, since I also have a 5 year old who can beat 9 year olds, start with the prince diablo turbo 25
it is the closest Jr. frame to a players frame, Prince is losing money selling this gem at such a low cost. take one swing with it and you will know what I mean, it is as stable as the full version, not a watered down version, it should last him few years with it.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPRINCE-PTDIABLOJUN.html

the Nbalde 25 is nice as well,

cadfael_tex
01-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Anyone else vote for the Diablo Jr. I was also looking at the smallest Babolat and the 23 inch Prince Air Blake

hawaiirgv
01-31-2008, 01:34 PM
For a 5 year old, the name of the game should be about learning to love the game. Almost any junior racquet will be just fine. I agree with those above that you suggest you let him pick his own racquet based on what his favorite color is or if he has a favorite player on TV

TsongaBonga
01-31-2008, 03:19 PM
The prince turbo diablo. Great racket,light and 25". My son is just five and loves it (mainly cause its red)!

cadfael_tex
01-31-2008, 06:53 PM
How about the smallest babolat?

JayxTheKoolest
01-31-2008, 08:33 PM
For a 5 year old, the name of the game should be about learning to love the game. Almost any junior racquet will be just fine. I agree with those above that you suggest you let him pick his own racquet based on what his favorite color is or if he has a favorite player on TV

I'd go this route. Just find out what they think is the coolest. The racket isn't gong to realistically make a difference at their age.

VikingSamurai
01-31-2008, 09:28 PM
as the person who knows most on this forum regarding frames

You don't half love yourself do you? ;)