PDA

View Full Version : <<<K Blade Tour Review>>>

thejuice
01-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Ok, I've been waiting for today because the weathermen/women claimed it would be a pretty day in the upper 50s here in Atlanta and they were right. I've been swinging my new K Blade Tours in the house since Friday and have been itching to get them outside and onto a court to play some sets. Well, the time has come. I played a set and some King of the Court today with a teaching pro and a 4.5 player. My findings were way more than I had expected.

I have to throw in a disclaimer that I hadn't played a set in almost a month due to my anticipation of the MG Prestige, which was betrayed by a demo of the K Blade Tour (the weather has also had something to say about playing). Well...here it is.

Groundstrokes: The teaching pro and I had about an hour to hit around so we played a set. The two of us have played together before and I can't say I've heard too many "good shot" or "good serve" compliments from him...well I got quite a few today. My timing was way off with my footwork but I can say that when my size 14s were in place, he couldn't help but to expect a bomb to return across the net. Not only were my strokes heavy and hard, but they were put almost exactly where I was aiming. I hit at least four clean winners in that one set today. This is four more than I've ever hit against him. I can't move on to the next stroke without saying that this 18x20 stringbed plays like a 16x19 because the access to topspin was unbelievable. I didn't have to concentrate on a topspin angle forhand like with my Prestiges. It was THAT good. My mouth is still salivating.

Serves: This is the initial weakness of this stick. It takes some getting used to. I'm not sure why but it isn't a rocket launcher like some other frames I've used (Pure Control, K90, Volkl DNX10Mid come to mind...hmmm...all open string patterns) but the teaching pro, was aced four times (I didn't count these in my groundstroke winners) with a very nice blend of power and spin. He told me that on the balls he was able to return, they felt heavy (he plays with a K90 for reference). He tried to get in my head by moving inside the baseline and found that he moved in a little too far. He moved back after a couple points. I'm going to try to get a lot of practice in with this thing but I'm more than satisfied with the placement that I can get with it.

Volleys: I normally come to the net a lot but I wasn't able to on my own free will today because both guys I was hitting with are bashers of the ball. The few times I did come in were successful though. I was 3 for 4 at the net which includes a half volley on a low, hard hit return. The KBT won't surprise me at the net because I hit a good amount of volleys with it when I demoed it.

Overall this is a great frame. I bought two and was thinking about getting a 98 as a doubles stick but the 93 head size is so forgiving that I don't need or want a 98. They look great and play way better. I'm in love!!!

josef
01-28-2008, 08:10 PM
nice review.. i hope to get my hands on a kblade tour demo this week. the kblade 98 hits pretty nice too, you should try it..

thejuice
01-28-2008, 08:12 PM
^^^
I think I may still try a demo of the 98. The 93 is just so forgiving. :)

aimr75
01-28-2008, 08:19 PM
i was pretty impressed with it as well.. i dont think i've taken to a racquet so well from an initial hit then with this one.. i had to order one
________
No2 vaporizer (http://www.vaporshop.com/no2-vaporizer.html)

i love t3nn1s
01-28-2008, 08:27 PM
nice to hear that its a good racket...i juss ordered mine too now im REALLY excited..lol

also...how long did it take for yours to come>>??? does it come in 2 dayslike what it says on the special limiteed time offer????

what strings did u put on the k-blade tour??? and what tension

CAM178
01-28-2008, 08:36 PM
juice, nice review. I've got the demo coming to me now, as well. I'm either getting the KBlade Tour, or the K6.1 95.

Where in Atlanta do you play? I lived there for a long time.

thejuice
01-28-2008, 08:48 PM
^^Cam, I work in Buckhead and live in the P'tree Corners area of Norcross but I play all over. We may have to meet up sometimes to hit. I'm always looking for people to hit with.

i love t3nn1s, I actually pre-ordered my sticks from the PGA Tour Superstore here in Atlanta. They offered free strings (of your choice, including gut) and 20% off so I paid about $320 for two (not including a $20 off coupon and a couple of free give-away gift cards I've been saving from store promotions). They came in last Wednesday and I picked them up Thursday night (not Friday like I mentioned in the original post).

I have them strung right now with the NXT Tour 16 guage string at 57lbs. I normally string with 17g multi's like Klip Venom but I liked the demo so much that I wanted the same string.

CAM178
01-28-2008, 09:13 PM
^^Cam, I work in Buckhead and live in the P'tree Corners area of Norcross but I play all over. We may have to meet up sometimes to hit. I'm always looking for people to hit with.
Wish I could, man. But now I live in Texas. I sure do miss the tennis in ATL, and ALTA. ALTA was a blast.

Sweet deal on the new sticks!

VikingSamurai
01-28-2008, 09:25 PM

i love t3nn1s, I actually pre-ordered my sticks from the PGA Tour Superstore here in Atlanta. They offered free strings (of your choice, including gut) and 20% off so I paid about $320 for two (not including a $20 off coupon and a couple of free give-away gift cards I've been saving from store promotions). They came in last Wednesday and I picked them up Thursday night (not Friday like I mentioned in the original post).

I have them strung right now with the NXT Tour 16 guage string at 57lbs. I normally string with 17g multi's like Klip Venom but I liked the demo so much that I wanted the same string.

Hey juice I used to live in Vinings.. May be bringing the family for a visit around March/April to see some old friends. Would love to meet up with someone from the boards to have a hit with if you are interested?.. We are just in the thinking stage at the moment, but I havn't been back to GA in about 2 1/2 years, so I am pushing the wife for a holiday away from Japan..

anirut
01-28-2008, 10:33 PM
So, juice, how'd you compare the KBT to the Redondo? Thanks.

thejuice
01-29-2008, 06:48 AM
Hey juice I used to live in Vinings.. May be bringing the family for a visit around March/April to see some old friends. Would love to meet up with someone from the boards to have a hit with if you are interested?.. We are just in the thinking stage at the moment, but I havn't been back to GA in about 2 1/2 years, so I am pushing the wife for a holiday away from Japan..

Hey Chris, I'm definitely down for that. Just let me know. My e-mail is attached to my profile so shoot me one when you all know for sure.

Anirut, I'll make a comparison on the Official Redondo thread this evening. I knew you'd ask when I created this thread. ;-)

SempreSami
01-29-2008, 07:02 AM
I don't see how Wilson plan to sell this racquet in the UK, 170 online, which means if I go into Wigmore in central London it'll prolly be around 200 D:

seangallagher11
02-20-2008, 07:35 AM
I have the kb tour and i love it, it has it moments when you first get it but once you get everything down its amazing. i am thinking about lowering my tension to like 57 or 58 idk i just ordered it at like 60 with the biphase 17g , and did everyone order from here and call in the stencil work

m1stuhxsp4rk5
02-20-2008, 08:11 AM
great review makes me wanna demo this racket haha

thejuice
02-20-2008, 09:47 AM
You should. It seems to be a hit or miss racquet for everyone (much like the MG Prestige Mid). It was a big hit for me...big enough that I will be purchasing another one in the next 24 hours or so.

johnqadams
05-24-2008, 12:46 AM
I got my second K Blade Tour earlier this week. I agree about the topspin. I was pleasantly surprised with the amount you could generate on groundstrokes. Of course the racket is great on volleys. My serve, which is usually the "ace in the hole" rather suffered from the racket. But it always does when I pick up a racket several points too head light.

Once of the first things I did was add lead tape from around 2 o clock to 5 o clock and same on the other side. This helped immensely. Now the weight is more close to a prestige and some other rackets im used to.

Unfortunately, I could no longer play with the leather grip on the racket after a major blister development on the right thumb. I always liked the leather grips on the Wilson Pro Staffs. A good synthetic grip - along with weighting - really makes this racket a smoother ride (to me).

The first racket came with Reaction, which is a decent string. I decided to use it til it wears. The second one from Wilson came unstrung. I went with K Gut on it and am going to use it in the other as well.

So here is my set-up so far:

KGut @53lbs
Head Hydrosorb grip
Lead weighted to ~12.3 ounces
w/ Wilson W vibration dampener ;-)

johnqadams
05-24-2008, 12:57 AM
Hmm, make that from around 1 O'clock to 5 O'clock, pm of course.

biggsy
05-25-2008, 11:08 AM
..the guy that runs the tennis shop in my club says his 16 yr old son is using the 98 and loves it...i'm waiting for a demo. what's the difference btwn the kblade and nBlade?..I'm in the UK and the K is so friggin expensive!!

grimmbomb21
05-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Enjoyed the review!!

I have a MG Prestige MP but I demoed the KBT. I loved hitting with it, so I called the tennis shop ahead of time to make sure I had one strung up to purchase when I returned the demo.:)

I didn't even think about the fact that I had never served with it before purchasing it, which was a mistake. It is definitely taking some getting used to. I am just not getting much pop on it yet. But the control is great!

thejuice
05-25-2008, 12:58 PM
The serve does take a little time to get used to but the thing to understand is that it does take a full swing. My natural service motion is a full swing anyway so I'm able to hit a heavy flat serve with it.

In)SpiRe
05-25-2008, 01:18 PM
The serve does take a little time to get used to but the thing to understand is that it does take a full swing. My natural service motion is a full swing anyway so I'm able to hit a heavy flat serve with it.

So would you say that it plays better for those with some topspin or flatters? I hit pretty flat and will be getting mine in sometime this week, so I would like to know somewhat what to expect (of course I'm gonna have to figure out myself). I've already hit with it on a demo, but it wasn't to extensive and I didn't really get a feel of it so much :/ but for that hour I hit with it, it was really good, but a little to light.

thejuice
05-25-2008, 01:59 PM
I hit with topspin but I'm mostly a flat hitter and for an 18x20 pattern, it's great at going between both. I had been using a FXP Prestige Mid which wasn't a great stick at accessing heavy topspin so I can compare it to that and the Redondo Mid. Of the three, it is so much easier to access serious spin with the KBT. Regarding the light weight, I truly think it's the headlightness that everyone feels because my sticks all weigh 12.3, 12.5 and 12.6 ounces. That includes an overgrip and strings (I don't use a dampener).

In)SpiRe
05-25-2008, 02:48 PM
I hit with topspin but I'm mostly a flat hitter and for an 18x20 pattern, it's great at going between both. I had been using a FXP Prestige Mid which wasn't a great stick at accessing heavy topspin so I can compare it to that and the Redondo Mid. Of the three, it is so much easier to access serious spin with the KBT. Regarding the light weight, I truly think it's the headlightness that everyone feels because my sticks all weigh 12.3, 12.5 and 12.6 ounces. That includes an overgrip and strings (I don't use a dampener).

Well, I usually lead up my racquets pretty hard, and I've never actually measured the weight but I'm sure my racquets are hitting the 13+ oz weight. So I don't think it's so much the headlightness more so than the actual weight, but we'll see. I usually add depending on its stability or if it is just too light for me.

Kirko
05-25-2008, 04:08 PM
Ok, I've been waiting for today because the weathermen/women claimed it would be a pretty day in the upper 50s here in Atlanta and they were right. I've been swinging my new K Blade Tours in the house since Friday and have been itching to get them outside and onto a court to play some sets. Well, the time has come. I played a set and some King of the Court today with a teaching pro and a 4.5 player. My findings were way more than I had expected.

I have to throw in a disclaimer that I hadn't played a set in almost a month due to my anticipation of the MG Prestige, which was betrayed by a demo of the K Blade Tour (the weather has also had something to say about playing). Well...here it is.

Groundstrokes: The teaching pro and I had about an hour to hit around so we played a set. The two of us have played together before and I can't say I've heard too many "good shot" or "good serve" compliments from him...well I got quite a few today. My timing was way off with my footwork but I can say that when my size 14s were in place, he couldn't help but to expect a bomb to return across the net. Not only were my strokes heavy and hard, but they were put almost exactly where I was aiming. I hit at least four clean winners in that one set today. This is four more than I've ever hit against him. I can't move on to the next stroke without saying that this 18x20 stringbed plays like a 16x19 because the access to topspin was unbelievable. I didn't have to concentrate on a topspin angle forhand like with my Prestiges. It was THAT good. My mouth is still salivating.

Serves: This is the initial weakness of this stick. It takes some getting used to. I'm not sure why but it isn't a rocket launcher like some other frames I've used (Pure Control, K90, Volkl DNX10Mid come to mind...hmmm...all open string patterns) but the teaching pro, was aced four times (I didn't count these in my groundstroke winners) with a very nice blend of power and spin. He told me that on the balls he was able to return, they felt heavy (he plays with a K90 for reference). He tried to get in my head by moving inside the baseline and found that he moved in a little too far. He moved back after a couple points. I'm going to try to get a lot of practice in with this thing but I'm more than satisfied with the placement that I can get with it.

Volleys: I normally come to the net a lot but I wasn't able to on my own free will today because both guys I was hitting with are bashers of the ball. The few times I did come in were successful though. I was 3 for 4 at the net which includes a half volley on a low, hard hit return. The KBT won't surprise me at the net because I hit a good amount of volleys with it when I demoed it.

Overall this is a great frame. I bought two and was thinking about getting a 98 as a doubles stick but the 93 head size is so forgiving that I don't need or want a 98. They look great and play way better. I'm in love!!!

outstanding review! I agree on the groundstrokes spin was easy for me also. the sweetspot is so lush! plays so much bigger than a prestige any model or yr.

Hot Sauce
05-25-2008, 09:15 PM
It's a great racquet. I'm demoing it and the K90 right now, and I've decided to buy the KBlade.

thejuice
05-25-2008, 10:44 PM
It's a great racquet. I'm demoing it and the K90 right now, and I've decided to buy the KBlade.

Well make sure you join the K Blade Club!!! :)

johnqadams
06-02-2008, 10:44 PM

I suppose so. With the Head Prestige Classic, 600, and some others my serve is pretty big - all I have to do is relax and lunge through the ball. Anytime I switch to a head light racket it throws it off, ex: the Volkl V-Engine 10 which I had to get rid of. I just dont have the same feelign of mass towards the head of the racket driving through the ball. Im going to try layering some lead tape at 12 o clock instead of on the sides (which I had measured a little too lengthy).

johnqadams
06-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Have any of you experienced much differentiation in weight between your K Blades or any other racket. One of the rackets I received was 0.2 ounces lighter than the other. I'm wondering if that is a very large difference comparatively speaking.

DonBot
06-03-2008, 05:06 AM
My 3 are all within 4 grams of each other. The major variation is grip size. They all claim to be 4 1/2 but each one is a different size and that is thhe one thing about the raquet that drives me up the wall. Grip size is one thing quality control should check. Changing it is a major major pain in the....

thejuice
06-03-2008, 05:42 AM
Mine don't have too much difference. 12.3, 12.5 and 12.6 (something like that). I posted them in the K Blade Club thread when I measured them.

johnqadams
06-03-2008, 10:11 PM
The grip could be one of the main things contributing to the weight difference. If they are uneven you could sand one of them down a bit. Im just going to balance them out with lead tape so they are reasonably close.

The balance may not be as much an issue as the weight, as far as my serve goes. I will have to wait and measure them without the string but the 10 pts headlight spec might be off. I'm going to experiment with neutral layers at 6 o clock as well and see what happens.

Incidentally, the article on here about polarized and depolarized weighting is an interesting read for anyone customizing.