PDA

View Full Version : Benjamin...Why?

BHud
12-15-2004, 05:17 PM
Why are you so insistent on replacing your POG Mid?

I ask because I have been in the same boat as you...looking for something just under 12 oz. that is stable, maneuverable, and provides a bit of power. I've been playing primarily with the POG OS and nCode 6.1 over the past year, but have demoed all the potential suspects to replace them...RDX 500s, Prince Diablos, NXGs, Volkl Tour 10s, etc. and still find that nothing compares to the solid feeling of the 12 oz.+ racquets (an exception being the ProKennex Ki5 which might be a real winner!).

Like you, I'm in my 40s and play an all-court game (4.5+ level), but get worn down deep into matches (hence the interest in 11.5-11.75 oz. frames).

I recently tried the POG MP and found it to be great...although I haven't played in the summer heat with it (I'm in Ohio).

Please shed some light on why your POG MP is the racquet that doesn't want to be replaced...but will be... :?

Thanks!

SC in MA
12-15-2004, 06:20 PM
BHud: Sorry to step in your post to Benjamin, but I was just curious if you had tried the Head LM Prestige MidPlus ?

I had a chance to hit with one briefly for about 5 minutes last night and based on my initial impression, it seems like a stick that would meet your criteria (just under 12 oz, stable, maneuverable, and provides a bit of power).

kreative
12-15-2004, 10:08 PM
bhud, maybe try the pure control?

the POG MP is a nice racquet, but is also hefty, and i think benjamin is looking for something that will add a bit of "put-away power", and that he can still swing deep into matches. the POG MP is low powered, and you only get what you put into it, i.e. it won't provide any pop if you don't take a good swing.

TripleB
12-16-2004, 05:08 AM
kreative....nice assessment of what I'm looking for in a new racquet (although I still have the RDX-500 mid at the top of my list and it is very low powered from what I've heard).

BHud,

First off I'm 37...don't want to go over the 40 mark until I have to :D

I think that at one time not too many moons ago I had reserved myself to the POG mid know that it was the perfect racquet. But then one day I tried the RDX-500 Mid for a short time and couldn't believe that there was a racquet out there that gave me more pinpoint control than my POG mid. I then pulled out my St Vincent ProStaff 6.0 85 and got the same results. I could actually aim for the lines and get very close most of the time.

If I could keep that same control and add a little more power, I think I would have a racquet better than my POG mid.

Also, if I could get the POG mid in a lighter package (RDX-500 Mid?) I think I could add a little more pop on my serve because I have a hard time getting the racquet head moving on my serve.

I think that's the main reason that the racquets I'm trying to decide to demo now are 11.7/11.8/11.8/11.8/11.9/12.2 ounces respectively.

TripleB/Benjamin

El Diablo
12-16-2004, 05:56 AM
I've never understood this "pinpoint control" thing about "hitting the lines." Pay attention to any match sometime and see how points are being won. It's about good depth and weight of shot, and not making too many errors.

TripleB
12-16-2004, 06:19 AM
I've pretty much got the "not making too many unforced errors" part down...that's been my game for 25 years now. Now it's a matter of taking my game to an offensive level and being more exact with my shots. I can run balls down all day long and hit extreme spin (top and slice) shots as much as any one man can, but I'd like to be more offensive minded - hitting to the ball a little closer to the lines, reducing my spin, hitting more flat balls, and with a bit more pace (if possible).

TripleB

BHud
12-16-2004, 11:53 AM
Thanks for your comments!

SC in MA - I tried the Prestige (and Radical, etc.), but do not like the tight string patterns Head offers on most of their players sticks...to boardy and it ends up hurting my arm.

kreative - I don't like the feel (or lack thereof) of the Babolot line, but have never tried the Pure Control (I assume you're talking about the original...not the PC MP). Maybe I'll give it a shot...

jun
12-16-2004, 12:00 PM
Benjamin- you must be at least 5.0?

Certainly some of the pros didn't have control problem with POG OS. Just to name a few Agassi, Coria, Mocica Seles and others.

You have been demoing rackets for two years now...I don't know if you are demoing just for the fun of it, or looking for a "holy grail"...

After experimenting with demoing myself, I came to an conclusion that you have settle down with what feels the best and learn to stick with it. Otherwise there's always going to be a racket that will serve you better in some aspect.

TripleB
12-16-2004, 12:06 PM
jun,

Actually I'm a 4.5, which is probably an accurate rating (I'm not the best 4.5 but not quite the worst either). I've made it that high because I run everything down, keep everything in play, and have a fairly good backhand. It's now time to add even more control and some putaway power to my game to hopefully improve.

I think it's a little of both---I love demoing racquets (and seeing what's new out there) and I'm always looking for the holy grail.

TripleB

ferrari_827
12-16-2004, 12:21 PM
Trust me, there is no holy grail. Although some Yonexes are pretty close (!!!)

TripleB
12-16-2004, 12:31 PM
ferrari_827...I'm about to find out! Going to order 4 demos and 3 or my 7 finalist are by Yonex - Yonex RDX-500 Mid, RDX-500 Midplus HD, and RDX-500 Midplus!!! :D

BTW: others are LM Prestige Mid, LM Prestige Midplus, Pure Control, and Tour 10 V-E Mid.

TripleB

BHud
12-16-2004, 12:53 PM
Benjamin...better add the ProKennex Ki 5 to the list...NoBadMojo compares it to the Yonex RDX 500 MP in his mini-review. I've played them both and the PK is a bit more solid (and can serve like a cannon). It's the only sub 12 oz. racquet w/ a slightly larger head (100") that I've demoed that plays like a traditional players stick.

BTW...sorry about placing you in the 40 something category...although it's less than 36 months away for you! :lol:

kreative
12-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Thanks for your comments!

SC in MA - I tried the Prestige (and Radical, etc.), but do not like the tight string patterns Head offers on most of their players sticks...to boardy and it ends up hurting my arm.

kreative - I don't like the feel (or lack thereof) of the Babolot line, but have never tried the Pure Control (I assume you're talking about the original...not the PC MP). Maybe I'll give it a shot...

bhud, definitely the pure contol std. if you fancy a little more weight, than the old 2001 version.

the ncode6.1 and pog os are nice racquets thou. why would you be looking to replace them?

BHud
12-17-2004, 08:44 PM
kreative...I love the nCode 6.1 (and the POG was great too). If I could only reduce the swingweight by about 5-8 grams, I would never look back. That would allow me to get the head around quicker for wicked topspin (when I lift weights regularly, this problem goes away).

I already play them with the bumper guards removed (although thsi tends to tear up the racquets quickly). I know that there's a Japanese version of the nCode 6.1 95" that is a bit lighter, but I don't know how to buy it??

Ultra2HolyGrail
12-18-2004, 04:48 PM
Trust me, there is no holy grail. Although some Yonexes are pretty close (!!!)

There is a holygrail :D

Ronaldo
12-18-2004, 06:38 PM
Benjamin, This is your quest
To follow that star
No matter how hopeless
No matter how far
To fight for the right
Without question or pause
To be willing to march,
march into hell
For that heavenly cause