doonbugz
01-29-2008, 05:50 AM
i use a 1 handed

Gimmick
01-29-2008, 06:03 AM
What racquet are you using to do this?

grass_hopper
01-29-2008, 06:50 AM
1 hbh is great for defensive reach and volley. 2 hbh is great when you step into court and hit a winner, it's hard to read where the ball is being hit to. I like 1 hbh but it is much harder to master it.

kairosntx
01-29-2008, 06:52 AM
Are you trying to generate some good discusion and a lively debate, or are you contemplating which to use in your own game?

Blade0324
01-29-2008, 10:29 AM
I would have to vote 2HBH for driving or topspin shots. 1HBH slice is great defense but 90% of the time I use 2HBH.

VGP
01-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Depends on YOU!

quest01
01-29-2008, 11:57 AM
I use a 2 handed backhand.

matchmaker
01-29-2008, 01:14 PM
I have used both and whether I hit a two or a one-hander the backhand has always been one of my strongest shots. Basically they both have pros and cons.

2hbh:pros better for balls you don't have the time to take a full backswing at, e.g. serve returns, high bouncing topspin balls, deep balls
cons less reach, two-handers take the ball closer to the body, when attacking have to be right behind the ball, usually 2hbhanders have lesser volleys and slice shots because they develop an instinct to hit on that side with 2 hands and when they hit with 1 hand have less touch. Although many do have a good drop shot on that occasion.

1hbh:pros better for attacking balls taken in front of the body, shorter balls, approach shots, usually one-handers vary the backhand side more mixing topspin up with slice, tend to have more touch on volleys and slices because they always play with one hand
cons need early set up on kickers, difficult to hit shoulder-high shots, can get in trouble by deep topspin balls. Often have to block serve returns rather than hit them like a two-hander sometimes manages.

Conclusion: everything in life is a trade-off. For elegance and variation: 1hbh. For sheer consistency and power: 2hbh. If off course technique is flawless. Many 2hbhanders only use the shot because it is their weakest side and they cough up shorter balls than on the forehand. Many 1hbhanders slice too much and have problems producing consistency on the topspin backhand.

To become aware of the full potential of both shots you have to look at some of the pros who mastered them best: Agassi for 2hbh and Kuerten for 1hbh. If you do not have a backhand like them, it is not changeing from 1hbh to 2hbh or vice versa that is going to help you it is an operator error. They show you the full potential of the shots. Until you get to that level of backhand shot production, you have to work on your technique.

Capt. Willie
01-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Two hands are for baseball. ;) But what does this have to do with racquets?

bcast66
01-29-2008, 01:39 PM
2 handed and 1 handed is my vote. 2 handed on topspin and drives and 1 handed on defensive slices. but you should pick what you are more consistent with. know that if you play someone good and you have a 1 handed backhand they will attack the **** out of it "i know i do""i like giving them super high balls so they hit me a short ball then the points done basically."

tennis_nerd22
01-29-2008, 03:01 PM
neither.

use 2 hands and a foot... best combination

DarthCow
01-29-2008, 03:07 PM
If you really want a strong shot on both sides, somehow learn how to be ambidextrous and have 2 forehands.

wyutani
03-11-2008, 09:24 AM
If you really want a strong shot on both sides, somehow learn how to be ambidextrous and have 2 forehands.

2 forehands is not exactly good, you dun have time to change hands...i think

VGP
03-11-2008, 09:26 AM

Isn't that the "two-sword technique" from The Prince of Tennis?

babolat15
03-11-2008, 09:29 AM
you are going to get very mixed answers on this. it is really personal preference

Salsa_Lover
03-11-2008, 09:44 AM
I like the 1hbh, never learned the 2hbh

Yes it needs more preparation and is hard to get the high balls, you then need to slice the high balls, and block the powerful servers as you'd have less time to prepare.

But this exactly is what makes a more varied and beautiful game.

And for those of you that say that 1hbh is only defensive.. then you haven't seen Gasquet in action

JRstriker12
03-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Good lord........

I'd suggest reading through the "The one-handed backhand is dead" thread. Plenty of view points on why one or the other is better.

The best backhand is the backhand that works best for you.

soyizgood
03-11-2008, 09:48 AM
2 forehands is not exactly good, you dun have time to change hands...i think

You obviously have never used a 2HBH before. VERY easy to get your second hand ready. Just keep the second hand on your racquet in ready position in the grip you would use for the 2nd hand.

PS I thought you were referring to the 2HBH as another forehand. I agree using 2 forehands is not a good idea. Sorry for jumping the gun, but being the leader of the 2HBH Club (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=171896) obligates me to fiercely defend the 2HBH from those jealous, bitter OHBHers. ;)

soyizgood
03-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Good lord........

I'd suggest reading through the "The one-handed backhand is dead" thread. Plenty of view points on why one or the other is better.

The best backhand is the backhand that works best for you.

I assume you mean this thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=177703).

JRstriker12
03-11-2008, 09:54 AM
I assume you mean this thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=177703).

Yup.

But like I said - the best backhand is the backhand that works best for you.

theone
03-11-2008, 09:57 AM
I have a 1HB and it's the first shot I could hit when I took up tennis.. 1HBH is natural for me so i'll never change but I have been working on the 2 hander a bit, I only tend to use it when i'm late on a fast ball and need to muscle it back.

iplaybetter
03-11-2008, 10:18 AM
neither.

use 2 hands and a foot... best combination

what racket are you using i found that gods racked works best
http://www.photostringer.com/images/agassi01a.jpg

ledor
03-11-2008, 11:03 AM
so what do you all think

1 hand is better (looking). i'm a 2H bh.

Sentinel
03-11-2008, 11:16 AM
I love it how we start this same thread afresh each month.
For me, its the 1h.

soyizgood
03-11-2008, 11:26 AM
The 2HBH is the MODERN backhand and king of the baseline. OHBHers are in denial and are hoping for a messiah to take #1 after Federer and Henin lose the top spot. It's not going to happen for a long time on either tour and the OHBH is practically dead on the WTA.

iamke55
03-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Newer is almost always better. As continental forehands faded away, as continental backhands faded away, as wooden racquets disappeared, and as dinosaurs became extinct, the same will happen to 1 handed backhand.

kungfusmkim
03-11-2008, 02:08 PM
I started out with a 1 handed bakhand but it kinda took a huge toll of pressure on my right arm. So i switched to a 2handed bakchand which let me stay in match longer and to use less movement hititng the ball(open stance.) I dont think i cant ever go back to a 1hbh. But i have to say the 1hbh was a bigger weapon for me then my current 2hbh. Since the juniour dont play 1h hackhanders often it allowed me to disguise my backhand flat or top spin which was an advantage for me. However, when the matches got long the my right arm would be over used and i would start to make more Doubles and more unforced errors and i would ahve a melt down. But other wise i would have stayed with the onehander. I disagree with iamke55 the 2handed foreahnd was rare but its been here ever since decades ago. I mean Pancho Segura had a 2handed forehand, Seles the same and What aobut Santoro? Not to mention the Asian tenis players Peng Shuai, Akiko Morigami, Aiko Nakamura, Yan Zi. Just like the the worlds economy the onehander would have ups and downs. Our parents generation was still filled iwth Serve and Volleyers and one handed backhand and our generation is filled with power and heavy spin and less tactics on the court. Who know maybe the onehanders are gunna be back in the next generation but it can never be gone cause people will know its still there and it will always will be there no matter what. You just cant make it extinct cause there will still be players even 1 or 2 who use the onehanded backhand. Just like every one cant love something or someone same with the bakchand. Not every player like the 2handed backhand.

kungfusmkim
03-11-2008, 02:10 PM
And also the continental grip didnt fade away its still in Asia it's just that we dont hear about it.

soyizgood
03-11-2008, 03:18 PM
I love it how we start this same thread afresh each month.
For me, its the 1h.

The crazy thing is that Rickson and I started clubs for the backhands in an effort to cut down on these threads. Some people just don't know any better or they just want to re-ignite the struggle. *SIGH*

Oh and 2HBH rule! ;)

kanjii
03-11-2008, 03:19 PM
1HBH...look at the #1 players in the world, they play with 1HBH. I think Fed and Henin are still #1, yes?

I started with 1HBH and only play with 2HBH for fun...when it's down to the wire, I'd rather aim and shoot my 1HBH down the line :)

bad_call
03-11-2008, 06:19 PM
I have used both and whether I hit a two or a one-hander the backhand has always been one of my strongest shots. Basically they both have pros and cons.

2hbh:pros better for balls you don't have the time to take a full backswing at, e.g. serve returns, high bouncing topspin balls, deep balls
cons less reach, two-handers take the ball closer to the body, when attacking have to be right behind the ball, usually 2hbhanders have lesser volleys and slice shots because they develop an instinct to hit on that side with 2 hands and when they hit with 1 hand have less touch. Although many do have a good drop shot on that occasion.

1hbh:pros better for attacking balls taken in front of the body, shorter balls, approach shots, usually one-handers vary the backhand side more mixing topspin up with slice, tend to have more touch on volleys and slices because they always play with one hand
cons need early set up on kickers, difficult to hit shoulder-high shots, can get in trouble by deep topspin balls. Often have to block serve returns rather than hit them like a two-hander sometimes manages.

Conclusion: everything in life is a trade-off. For elegance and variation: 1hbh. For sheer consistency and power: 2hbh. If off course technique is flawless. Many 2hbhanders only use the shot because it is their weakest side and they cough up shorter balls than on the forehand. Many 1hbhanders slice too much and have problems producing consistency on the topspin backhand.

To become aware of the full potential of both shots you have to look at some of the pros who mastered them best: Agassi for 2hbh and Kuerten for 1hbh. If you do not have a backhand like them, it is not changeing from 1hbh to 2hbh or vice versa that is going to help you it is an operator error. They show you the full potential of the shots. Until you get to that level of backhand shot production, you have to work on your technique.

matchmaker - great write up.

raiden031
03-11-2008, 07:28 PM
I used to have a 2-hbh and switched to a 1-hbh because I always thought the two-hander felt awkward because of the restricted movement due to using both hands. I found it much harder to develop my one-hander into what my 2-hander once was but I am glad I did because I like it alot better because it feels more graceful and I like the way it looks when people do it right.

However if I had to teach someone how to hit a backhand, I would almost always prefer to teach them the 2-hander because they are much more likely to develop a solid backhand quicker. The one-hander is for the overachievers who want to put in the extra effort.

tennis_nerd22
03-11-2008, 07:49 PM
what racket are you using i found that gods racked works best
http://www.photostringer.com/images/agassi01a.jpg

yea i found that racket to work very well, especially when i use my foot for extra support with the 2 hands across the handle. very nice

however i need to string it with iron or else it plays like crap, and depending on the day of the week some lead at 6 and 12

m1stuhxsp4rk5
03-11-2008, 08:12 PM
one hand is great its really a tricky shot you can do so much the two hand is more powerful and straight forward. one hand you can do so much flick the wrist to change direction or add more spin. to me the one hand is nicer look shot, its more consistent for me and i really like to hit it. the two hand is my power shot that gives me winners.

emerckx53
03-11-2008, 09:00 PM
so what do you all think

I don't know....what is better a 911 GT3 or a F430 Modena? C'mon.....you can't be serious about asking people this question.

samster
03-11-2008, 09:03 PM
I started playing tennis with 2hbh, but switched to the 1hbh after 2 years because I thought the 1hbh is more versatile and because I started volleying more, the 1hbh just felt more natural. I can still hit a lob with the 2hbh just to confuse my opponent.

Gennady Mamzhi
03-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Did anybody try 3-handed backhand? Worked once for me...

wyutani
03-13-2008, 03:50 AM
You obviously have never used a 2HBH before. VERY easy to get your second hand ready. Just keep the second hand on your racquet in ready position in the grip you would use for the 2nd hand.

PS I thought you were referring to the 2HBH as another forehand. I agree using 2 forehands is not a good idea. Sorry for jumping the gun, but being the leader of the 2HBH Club (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=171896) obligates me to fiercely defend the 2HBH from those jealous, bitter OHBHers. ;)

just for ur information, im 2hbh. yea.