PDA

View Full Version : Head protection tape?

DomStar7
01-29-2008, 09:15 AM
how much protection tape should i put on?

does it make a difference to the weight of the racquet (more than 5g)?

which is the best to buy???

DomStar7
01-29-2008, 09:39 AM
anyone???????:)

VGP
01-29-2008, 10:46 AM
If you're sensitive to such things, it can add a significant amount of weight. More than 5 grams.

eagle
01-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Any brand/make will do.

I apply two layers of it from 3 to 9 o'clock.

Thanks,
eagle

Ed Lee
01-29-2008, 11:05 AM
If you don't mind the extra weight and change in racquet balance, the head tape will help protect the racquet very nicely. I've put up to five layers of tape around the head of the racquet (3 to 9) resulting in weight gains of up to 20gms. The Gamma tape does a nice job, but it is heavy. If you're not looking to change the weight and balance too much, one of the lightest ones is the Babolat Supertape. Doesn't protect as well though. Hope this helps.

DomStar7
01-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Thanks, but how come people but it on at 3 and 9 o clock? i am thinking of getting a yonex rqis 1 and apparenty the head guard thing at 12 o clock is weak, do i need to put it on there aswell?

Tempyst
01-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Thanks, but how come people but it on at 3 and 9 o clock? i am thinking of getting a yonex rqis 1 and apparenty the head guard thing at 12 o clock is weak, do i need to put it on there aswell?

He said, 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock

VGP
01-29-2008, 11:31 AM
If you don't want to add the weight, invest in some replacement plastic parts. Replace them when they get worn out. I usually buy them when I buy new frames.

DomStar7
01-29-2008, 11:46 AM
where do you get them from??

VGP
01-29-2008, 12:02 PM
TW sells them. As do other tennis shops. Some will order in special if they are available.

Search for "grommets".

DomStar7
01-29-2008, 12:39 PM
ok thanks but they dont have yonex rqis 1 grommets...

matchpoints
01-29-2008, 12:44 PM
I have a lady that uses Duct Tape. Her reasons: cheap, readily available, and works just fine. If I recall correctly, they come in different colors too :)

VGP
01-29-2008, 01:16 PM
ok thanks but they dont have yonex rqis 1 grommets...

I'm sure if you call them, they will have them in stock. Every decent tennis shop will have replacement bumperguards and grommets, especially for current frames.

scotus
01-29-2008, 01:25 PM
I have a lady that uses Duct Tape. Her reasons: cheap, readily available, and works just fine. If I recall correctly, they come in different colors too :)

If you have a kind that does not leave sticky residues and won't ruin the finish, then any tape will do.

For me I like Babolat Supertape the best. It is the right size, right thickness, elastic, clean and reusable. I use two layers of it.

Other tapes I have tried:

Gamma: I tried this a long long time ago and never gave it another try. I hope they improved it. But back then it was too thin (insufficient protection) and left sticky residues when I took it off.

Unique: I tried this recently because it has no logos on the tape, which I like. But it does not have enough elasticity to allow for clean adhesion (you will have little bumps all around the edges, which can be very annoying if you care about the way your racquet looks). So I won't buy this product anymore.

Clear tape from hardware store for weatherstripping: I thought I'd give this a try because I liked the clear coat which allows the racquet to look the way it was designed to look. But this tape was too strong. When I took it off, it took off some cosmetic finish off the Prince Warrior (the Tungsten weights located on 1 and 11 have a very thin coat on it). It also leaves a sticky residue behind. It was also difficult to cut this into correct width for the frame. I won't bother with this anymore.

bagung
01-29-2008, 01:55 PM
i always put 1 layer of gamma head-tape from 2 o'clock to 10 o'clock... and it is weight 2-3 g

gtrexe
01-30-2008, 03:21 PM
im just curious but does the tape leave nasty residue when you want to rip off a cut off layer or is it racquet friendly?