PDA

View Full Version : Microgel prestige or K Blade tour?

yunoukk
01-29-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm trying to buy another racket.
i'm using a liquidmetal prestige Mid size right now.
when Microgel came out i was looking forward to buy it and
little later i saw K Blade came out and i saw it has same head size but
less weight. but also it has less head light so i'm guessing it would be similar?
how you guys think? anybody tried both?

drakulie
01-29-2008, 03:39 PM
I've hit with both. If you are coming from the LM Mid, then the logical choice would be the MG Mid.

BTW, the Kblade tour was an awful frame. Very dead string bed. It has nice heft, is headlight, and stiff, but has no pop what so ever.

The MG on the other hand is very lively, and although it may have a higher SW, it feels relatively light to swing. The blance on the frame and weight distribution is awesome. Also has more pop than the Tour.

Wisest choice is to demo both.

Applesauceman
01-29-2008, 04:31 PM
I hit with the Microgel Prestige on 1/19. I really liked the feel and heft of this racquet, just not the grip shape. Head grips are much more oval than I'm used to. I'm interested to try the KBlade Tour, has similar specs to the Prince Diablo Mid that I currently play with, though a bit lighter.

drakulie
01-29-2008, 04:44 PM
^^If you like the diablo Mid, then you will most-likely enjoy the KBlade tour. Very similar feel.

jasonchu
01-30-2008, 04:52 PM
^^If you like the diablo Mid, then you will most-likely enjoy the KBlade tour. Very similar feel.

IMHO, the diablo Mid is much more like the k 61 95 than the kblade.
the diablo has the more open stringing pattern. if I recall (and i am not too sure on this) the k blade is 18x20, the diablo is 16 x 18, as is the k 61 95 16x18.

also the diablo is much heavier than the kblade tour. more similar to the k 61 95.

go with the head prestige microgel in the MID SIZE 93 sq in...

VikingSamurai
01-30-2008, 04:56 PM
I hit with the Microgel Prestige on 1/19. I really liked the feel and heft of this racquet, just not the grip shape. Head grips are much more oval than I'm used to. I'm interested to try the KBlade Tour, has similar specs to the Prince Diablo Mid that I currently play with, though a bit lighter.

The grip shape is easily fixed...I custom made pallets for mine and now I have a rounder wilson shape to my MG Prestiges...

bluescreen
01-30-2008, 05:26 PM
a kid on my team just switched to the kblade tour. he played with a lm prestige mid last semester and absolutely loves the kblade tour strung real low.

thejuice
01-30-2008, 07:09 PM
Drakulie's use of the word "aweful" is his opinion. My quick little story is that I pre-ordered a pair of MG Prestige Mids based on my demo of the MP and Pro versions (which I liked in their own rights). On the day the Mids were in stock, I went to pick them up and was told by the rep at the store to try the Mid demo out before I actually purchased them, just to make sure I wanted them. Well, I did and I hated it. Again, it's relative but the stringbed felt dead and it didn't have any pop. Now, I also demoed a K Blade Tour that day and found that it had pop, feel, and control. I quickly fell in love with this stick but didn't preorder them right away. I played around with demoes for another week or two and finally preordered them. I've since had the opportunity to play a set and some games and found this to be one of the best sticks I've ever owned (and I have owned all kinds of racquets).

JackSkellington
01-30-2008, 07:16 PM
I've hit with both. If you are coming from the LM Mid, then the logical choice would be the MG Mid.

BTW, the Kblade tour was an awful frame. Very dead string bed. It has nice heft, is headlight, and stiff, but has no pop what so ever.

The MG on the other hand is very lively, and although it may have a higher SW, it feels relatively light to swing. The blance on the frame and weight distribution is awesome. Also has more pop than the Tour.

Wisest choice is to demo both.

care to tell us what string choice and tension you used? I seem to have a completely opposite review on the kblade.

stormholloway
01-30-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm amazed that people aren't finding pop with the MGP mid. The sweetspot is sweet as hell, and plenty large for a Prestige. It has its dead zone where all Prestiges have previously, but it doesn't lack in pop whatsoever. You obviously need to be strong enough to swing it, but it has power if you can handle it.

Applesauceman
01-30-2008, 08:11 PM
jasonchu,

FYI - the Diablo Mid 93 is 16x20, the Diablo Midplus 100 is 16x18.

I have both, great racquets in my humble opinion. I believe that your correct on the KBlade Tour weight, the Diablo Mid is heavier, but as I recall, the string pattern 16x20 is the same.

Chris in Japan,
Very cool idea. I've tried playing around with duct tape to try and "round out" various racquets, didn't work all that great. I still really prefer a Prince shaped grip, followed by a Wilson shaped grip. Never really like the Head shaped grip, as I mentioned, too oval.

thejuice
01-30-2008, 08:40 PM
I'm amazed that people aren't finding pop with the MGP mid. The sweetspot is sweet as hell, and plenty large for a Prestige. It has its dead zone where all Prestiges have previously, but it doesn't lack in pop whatsoever. You obviously need to be strong enough to swing it, but it has power if you can handle it.

I don't think it's the fact of being strong enough to swing it. A lot of it has to do with technique and then the string that's in the demo. I found the RQis1 to have nice pop, while some find it underpowered. My Redondo Mids weigh around 12.8 ounces and I think it has great pop (with possibly a smaller sweetspot than the Prestiges). It's all subjective to the wielder of the racquet.

VikingSamurai
01-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Chris in Japan,
Very cool idea. I've tried playing around with duct tape to try and "round out" various racquets, didn't work all that great. I still really prefer a Prince shaped grip, followed by a Wilson shaped grip. Never really like the Head shaped grip, as I mentioned, too oval.

Its actually easy.. I ordered my frames at 4 1/4, and removed the factory grip.. I then used the front part of a cd case and cut strips of the hard clear plastic 12cm long by 1cm wide. Just measured, ruled the line and then again with the ruler, used a stanly knife to cut the plastic..

Took a little while to do, but got the plastic to brake nicely, cleaned up the edges and then placed them on the flat side of the handle. The 2-3mm thickness of the cd cover plastic was a snug fit against the top of the butt cap, and so I placed the piece leaving about 3 mm each side and then super glued it into place.. I spent about a minute rubbing them to help the super glue spread and help set the plastic pallets in place..

After that, I simply put the factory grip back on and away I went.. I have two over wraps on mine, and now my handle is around 4 3/8.. So if you are going to do it, then I suggest ordering a grip smaller than your normal side and go from there..

Chauvalito
01-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Its actually easy.. I ordered my frames at 4 1/4, and removed the factory grip.. I then used the front part of a cd case and cut strips of the hard clear plastic 12cm long by 1cm wide. Just measured, ruled the line and then again with the ruler, used a stanly knife to cut the plastic..

Took a little while to do, but got the plastic to brake nicely, cleaned up the edges and then placed them on the flat side of the handle. The 2-3mm thickness of the cd cover plastic was a snug fit against the top of the butt cap, and so I placed the piece leaving about 3 mm each side and then super glued it into place.. I spent about a minute rubbing them to help the super glue spread and help set the plastic pallets in place..

After that, I simply put the factory grip back on and away I went.. I have two over wraps on mine, and now my handle is around 4 3/8.. So if you are going to do it, then I suggest ordering a grip smaller than your normal side and go from there..

Great example of ingenuity in making a tennis racket truly your own.

VikingSamurai
01-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Great example of ingenuity in making a tennis racket truly your own.

Thanks mate.. I love this frame, but like my LM Prestiges, the grip was annoying, even though I think the MG grip is actually a little rounder this time around. But still enough to not feel right in the hand.. The two strips have rounded it off for me, and sits perfectly in my hand..

jasonchu
01-30-2008, 10:15 PM
jasonchu,

FYI - the Diablo Mid 93 is 16x20, the Diablo Midplus 100 is 16x18.

I have both, great racquets in my humble opinion. I believe that your correct on the KBlade Tour weight, the Diablo Mid is heavier, but as I recall, the string pattern 16x20 is the same.

Chris in Japan,

Thanks. I stand corrected. As I stated I wasn't sure I recalled correctly.
I strung a KBlade recently but did not remember the exact "thread count " :)

Appreciate the info Applesauceman!

Applesauceman
01-31-2008, 10:20 AM
Hey Chris in Japan,

What I think might work better than a CD cover would be a clear lens cover that welders use in their protective helmets. These lens covers are about as thick as a CD cover and come in either 2x4 or 4x6 (approximately). They are easy to cut and are more flexible than the plastic used for CD covers so there's less of a chance of breaking them during cutting. They cost about $1.00 for 2x4 and about $2.00 for 4x6. Most large chain hardware stores will have them in their welding department. I used to work at a welding supply company and I used to have to cut these down for customers if they didn't have the standard size welding helmet.

VikingSamurai
01-31-2008, 01:45 PM
Hey Chris in Japan,

What I think might work better than a CD cover would be a clear lens cover that welders use in their protective helmets. These lens covers are about as thick as a CD cover and come in either 2x4 or 4x6 (approximately). They are easy to cut and are more flexible than the plastic used for CD covers so there's less of a chance of breaking them during cutting. They cost about $1.00 for 2x4 and about $2.00 for 4x6. Most large chain hardware stores will have them in their welding department. I used to work at a welding supply company and I used to have to cut these down for customers if they didn't have the standard size welding helmet.

Mate, great idea.. I guess its up to who ever has the materials around that can make these pallets, but the welder plastic is a good choice also! The fact is, its not hard to do in all honesty.. When I get my third frame in, I will take pictures of the process.. Forgot to do it when I did my other two..

Applesauceman
01-31-2008, 02:14 PM
Very cool, I'm interested to see this process. These welding lenses are shatterproof, they just don't break even when you try to snap them in half. Keep me posted!

bcast66
01-31-2008, 02:47 PM

rofl i have not found a prestige yet that hasnt offerd pop and a sick sweetspot. basically if you hit the ball with any 90 squar inch rackt you will hit the sweet spot. i love prestige but might switch to tecnifibre or wilson because my last prestige broke in half. dumb flexpoint lol.

TsongaBonga
01-31-2008, 02:56 PM
2 weeks ago I was in the same position as you are now. I was using the LM prestige and he was ma best buddy. I saw the MG and new I just had to test it....So last week I demoed the MG and loved it, so crisp and cushy.I ordered just 1 and the day it arrived I saw the Kblade and I was thinking shizer! I demoed the Kblade and it just didnt do it for me so, THANKS DESTINY!

drakulie
01-31-2008, 03:36 PM
care to tell us what string choice and tension you used? I seem to have a completely opposite review on the kblade.

Wilson Sensations strung at mid tension, and the second one was a hybrid with poly mains (also strung at mid tension). Both times the string bed felt dead (like the Daiblo Mid). Good heft in the frame, but there was nothing there. I will add that both frames were between 3-4 pts headlight, and not 8 as advertised. It is a very harsh frame.

TsongaBonga
01-31-2008, 03:38 PM
Mg Prestige!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bcast66
01-31-2008, 03:46 PM
yea mg prestige mid size ROCKS!!!!!. i am trying tecnifibre before i string these 2 sticks lol. in which case i can return them. but prestiges have been my racquet of choice for 6 years lol. the lm was my least favorite partly due to the deal feel it has i think.

hyogen
02-01-2008, 11:58 AM
yea mg prestige mid size ROCKS!!!!!. i am trying tecnifibre before i string these 2 sticks lol. in which case i can return them. but prestiges have been my racquet of choice for 6 years lol. the lm was my least favorite partly due to the deal feel it has i think.

for any of you who love the MG prestige mid....do you have 2handed backhands? do you still love it if you do? don't you prefer the mp?

bcast66
02-02-2008, 03:52 PM
for any of you who love the MG prestige mid....do you have 2handed backhands? do you still love it if you do? don't you prefer the mp?

i have a 2 handed backhand and i think it is a great stick. the 98 i hate i like the mid sized prestiges. make sure you set up before every shot or you will miss allot.

Mara
02-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Head Prestige players generally perceive Wilson frames as completely dead (I know I do). Still, so many players seem to love Wilson racquets. Is it because they like this stiff/dead feeling , or is it because the sensation changes after a few weeks?

stormholloway
02-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Well drakulie is a long time Wilson user.

drakulie
02-04-2008, 02:07 PM
^^^Yup, played with wilson for a very long time.

I was very hyped about this frame. I loved the specs, and especially loved the stiffness. But when I hit the courts, it was dreadful. Very dissapointed in this frame. :(

BreakPoint
02-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Head Prestige players generally perceive Wilson frames as completely dead (I know I do). Still, so many players seem to love Wilson racquets. Is it because they like this stiff/dead feeling , or is it because the sensation changes after a few weeks?
It's because we prefer the stiff/dead feeling. At least for me, it feels like a dead piece of wood, which is what wood racquets were made out of and what I grew up using so I still like that feel. And, no, the sensation does not change after a few weeks. In contrast, most "modern" racquets feel more "tinny".