PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic racquets

sleep2411
03-21-2004, 11:23 PM
Hi. Could someone tell me whether ceramic/ graphite racquets are any good? I'm just fascinated by the "white look" and would appreciate if someone could shed some light. Thanks!

NoBadMojo
03-22-2004, 06:19 AM
ceramic/graphite frames that are white are only white cosmetically. years ago yamaha had frames w. ceramic in them and i dont know that any of them were white. also fischer used a graphite/ceramic combo in their venerable vt series and i dont think any of them white. it's only paint. i dont know that any current frames use ceramic these days..maybe liquidmetal will go the way of ceramic. personally i loved the way the fischer vt pro played. Ed

gary p
03-22-2004, 10:11 AM
have many ceramics 4 sale as low as$20 shipped free in us 48
click on TENNIS GALORE SPORTS AMORE take a look let me know
what u think thanks

acegame@aol.com

Dennis Anyone?
03-22-2004, 06:33 PM
I liked the Prince Ceramic . . . from the mid-80's? It had white paint and a nice feel. At the time I didn't care much for the more popular Prince racquets, but I enjoyed the occasional hit with this one.

Yamaha sold a racquet that also used ceramic at around the same time. It was also painted white. In my opinion, the racquet wasn't very distinctive from Yamaha's other offerings.

dje31
03-23-2004, 09:44 AM
I agree w/Dennis. The Prince Ceramic felt mighty nice at the time, but that was many moons ago. Mid-to-late 80s, IIRC. The ceramic craze pre-dated the widebody movement, I believe.

@wright
03-23-2004, 09:54 AM
What was the draw for ceramic in racquets anyways? Stiffness? Feel?

Ronaldo
03-23-2004, 12:32 PM
Flexibility, feel, and a clean, crisp response. Believe the Fischer racquets still use ceramics. Prince Spectrum Comp was a sweet stick.

Steve Huff
03-23-2004, 12:38 PM
Ceramics became popular in the mid 80's for many of the same reasons titanium came into favor in recent years. Ceramic was stronger, stiffer, lighter. Many of the rackets were painted white, just as many titanium rackets are painted a pewter color. White just seemed to say "CERAMIC".
Later, ceramics fell out of favor as some researchers said that this material contributed to arm pain, as it transmitted vibration more readily (heard those arguments before?). As with any material, it all depends on how you use them.

python
03-23-2004, 02:34 PM
Actually, as Steve noted, ceramics were originally touted as adding stiffness and power to racquets.