PDA

View Full Version : tailweighting a hammer

ty slothrop
12-16-2004, 07:42 AM
I read on racket research that the highest performing racket was a speciallly tailweighted 6.2 95 skunk. for the tests, they added a one-inch buttcap that weighed 136 (!) grams and choked up on the racket so that the added buttcap was not included as part of the fulcrum.

I have neither the means nor the desire to go to such measures, but this got me to wondering... has anyone added like an ounce or more of lead to the handle of one of these "players" hammers like the 6.2, 5.2, or H Tour?

Xevoius
12-16-2004, 08:16 AM
I saw that and thought about fooling around with my in-laws old hammer racquets but once I saw the swingweight for the racquet they customized, I knew there would be no way I could hit a decent backhand with it.

thomas martinez
12-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Shoot the handle full of siicone.

Xevoius
12-16-2004, 09:33 AM
hmmm...

ty slothrop
12-16-2004, 09:36 AM
can i borrow some from you, Tom?

Cruzer
12-16-2004, 09:50 AM
A tennis acquaintance of mine did exactly what is described on the Racquet Research site to his Hammer 6.2 skunk. He was not impressed enough with the result to convince him to keep using it. I hit with it some as well and thought it felt better than the stock skunk but it was not something I wanted to use regularly. It does not appear that the tail weighted skunk idea ever caught on since it is rarely mentioned.

Gaines Hillix
12-16-2004, 01:11 PM
I have a tail weighted HH 6.3 OS. I didn't add an extension to the butt cap, but added enough lead tape inside the stock handle to make it about 4 pts HL and bring it's total weight up.
It improved it quite a bit, IMO. This frame has fiberglass in it and a flex rating of 63, so it's construction makes it feel more like a traditional players frame. It plays very nicely from the baseline and it's easy to generate spin with it. Nice serving frame too. It's weakness is S/V when used against better players. In a fast paced game low volleys tend to pop up and it's hard to keep some balls in the green.

Steve Huff
12-16-2004, 01:24 PM
What they did accomplishes 2 things that make it easier on the arm. First, by tailweighting, they've added stability to the racket. Second, by choking up, they've effectively made the racket shorter, so less leverage is needed to swing the racket (and less is put on the arm when the racket contacts the ball).

goober
06-21-2005, 09:11 PM
bringing this old thread back. I am interested in anybody still doing this or what their results were. It seems that you could make a arm friendly tweener if you tailweighted a flexible hammer type racquet.

tedmeister
06-22-2005, 01:37 AM
bringing this old thread back. I am interested in anybody still doing this or what their results were. It seems that you could make a arm friendly tweener if you tailweighted a flexible hammer type racquet.
Mine's got a flex of 66 but plays softer than most racquets with the same rating. Been using it for more than 3 years. Arm friendly, definitely. A tweener, if you call an easy to hit 95 a tweener, then it is.

tennisToad
06-22-2005, 09:11 AM
Hey has any tried weighting the h-tour??
I have just switched back to my hh5.2 because the h-tour just doesn't feel right.

SunDog
06-22-2005, 10:57 AM
I did this once with a Hammer 6.4 mp. I used the USRSA morphing calculation to match the 6.4 to a Pro Staff 6.1 Classic. I used fishing sinkers in the handle of the hammer and some stuffing from a couch cushion to keep them in place. I was able to match the weight and balance exactly. As I recall - it played really well.

tennissavy
06-22-2005, 07:13 PM
I add weight in the handle of all my wilson hammer racquets. Some have one ounce others have several ounces. They play so much better and are healthier for my body. I highly recommend doing the same to all players.

tedmeister
06-23-2005, 12:16 AM
Hey has any tried weighting the h-tour??
I have just switched back to my hh5.2 because the h-tour just doesn't feel right.
tennisToad, how long did you play around with the h-tour before you realized that the 5.2 feels so much better? H-tour has a better balance than the 5.2 as a stock frame. Much more H tours were sold than the hyper 5.2 because of this(or maybe more guys just liked the newer cosmetic :confused: ). The htour is easier to tailweight because of the available trap door which is not the case with the 5.2.