PDA

View Full Version : LM Radical or MFil 200 16X19

bfonz7
01-29-2008, 06:01 PM
I'm looking in the Sale section of TW, and these 2 frames stand out the most to me as ones that would suit my game. Ideally, I would like to get 3 of each of whatever I decide on rather than be only able to get 1 of the new frames just released this month.

I would love to demo, but I'm stuck in the cold of Winter without any access to indoor time (Limited Funds)

I used to use the LM Instinct that felt good, but had too much power for me.

I stay mostly to the baseline, and I like to use spin/kick serves more than first serve 'bombs'.

Does any one have experience with both that might be able to help out a fellow TW poster?

Thank you in advance

bfonz7
01-31-2008, 05:16 AM
I decided to bite the bullet, and I just ordered 3 demos from TW:

Head Microgel Extreme Pro
Head LM Radical MP
Dunlop M-Fil 200 16x19

Once I get the frames, I'm going to see if I can get some court time indoors for a hitting sesssion with all three.

Bring on the spring in the Northeast!

nc2
01-31-2008, 06:53 AM
Could you post a review after demoing the three?

I am also trying to decide over LM radical, Mfil 200 16x19, and MG radical Pro. I demoed MG radical pro once and loved it. But I am not sure it is worthy to shell out $200 for it while the other two are available at such attractive prices.

bfonz7
01-31-2008, 06:54 AM
Sure thing

vsdtrek
01-31-2008, 07:42 AM
Hi -

I can only comment on the mFil as I had that frame back in 2006. While others seem to like it, to me, I just never could figure it out. It was way too light and lacking in all categories. I really struggled in serving and in putting balls away with it. Honestly one of the most feeble frames I have ever tried. Ironically, I had one of my best summers in league play with it but I think it was that opponents weren't used to seeing balls hit so poorly and had no idea what to do with them. :)

I had one strung at 57# and one at 60# (both w/ syn gut) and a bit of lead at 3 and 9 just to get some mass on the frame. I even added a leather grip to one of them. If I ever used this model again (which I won't) , I would go way lower in tension (low 50s).

I have to think the Radical is a better frame.

bfonz7
01-31-2008, 07:55 AM
vsdtrek,

What kind of style play do you have? I'm curious why you thought the Dunlop was feeble. I can see why it could have been given the swing weight.

The specs are similar to the 200G HM I used to use at a lower weight (by .5 I believe) and a swing weight thats about that 8 pts less.

I liked the 200G a lot, but the weight I found cumbersome in generating racquet head speed for serving.

fuzz nation
01-31-2008, 08:01 AM
I'm in Rhode Island waiting for spring, too. Where in the northeast are you? I know a few fanatics that are happy to get out and hit as long as the mercury gets up into the low 40's with no wind to contend with and we might just get some of that over the weekend!

Enjoy the demos - my one piece of advice is to start out with the heaviest swingweight first. I've found that it's a whole lot easier to switch to lighter frames in the middle of an outing than to go to a heavier racquet where you suddenly need more advanced timing.

I've used the LM Radical in the past and I think it has a lot going for it. While it can make spin, I don't think it has the same potential for it as some other racquets, so I think that's the only thing to keep in mind with that frame. It had very good feel for me, but I just needed a little extra low-to-high in my swing to turn the ball over.

Chauvalito
01-31-2008, 08:10 AM
Hi -

I can only comment on the mFil as I had that frame back in 2006. While others seem to like it, to me, I just never could figure it out. It was way too light and lacking in all categories. I really struggled in serving and in putting balls away with it. Honestly one of the most feeble frames I have ever tried. Ironically, I had one of my best summers in league play with it but I think it was that opponents weren't used to seeing balls hit so poorly and had no idea what to do with them. :)

I had one strung at 57# and one at 60# (both w/ syn gut) and a bit of lead at 3 and 9 just to get some mass on the frame. I even added a leather grip to one of them. If I ever used this model again (which I won't) , I would go way lower in tension (low 50s).

I have to think the Radical is a better frame.

I had the same issues with the racket being to light, I started playing with it after having spent 3 or 4 years with the Volkl c10 Pro, a racket that over 12 oz. with an overgrip.

Over time I have created what I think is a good stick, but it has required massive amounts of lead to do so. Even still, I dont consider it a plow through type racket like a prestige, it is weighty, but I have gotten the best results by plaing with a lot of racket head speed with a poly in the mid 50's(cyberflash)

The Setup:

1. The handle I added 4 strips of half inch width lead from the to pof the buttcap to the top of the handle, where the foam ends, and the throat starts. The lead was applied to the 4 main sides of the handle to create a uniform application of lead that wouldnt chnage the grip shape.

2. 5 inch strips of lead inside the throat

3. Finally, 4, 7 inch strips of 1/2 inch widh lead at 3 and 9 in the hoop.

It may sound like a lot, but with counterwighting in the handle, and lead in the handle the hoop the overall weight if the racket is increased. It still feels to light compared to some of my other sticks

bfonz7
01-31-2008, 08:14 AM
fuzz,

Concord, NH area here. We are supposed to get some warmer weather as well. The only problem is our courts are covered in a foot of snow!

vsdtrek
01-31-2008, 03:22 PM
vsdtrek,

What kind of style play do you have? I'm curious why you thought the Dunlop was feeble. I can see why it could have been given the swing weight.

The specs are similar to the 200G HM I used to use at a lower weight (by .5 I believe) and a swing weight thats about that 8 pts less.

I liked the 200G a lot, but the weight I found cumbersome in generating racquet head speed for serving.

Hi -

I play both singles and doubles (more doubles in league play). I have a pretty traditional game style with moderate spin and decent pace. No extreme grips or high-bouncing shots. I was a long-time PS 6.0 95 user and also liked a PK Laver S except my wrist didn't do so well with it.

Overall, the m-fil felt cheap - like it was more resin than graphite. I suspec that it was too light and just not rigid enough to make up for the lack of mass. There was just nothing the frame offered (except a nice grip shape) that I couldn't easily surpass with some other model.

vsdtrek
01-31-2008, 03:23 PM
I had the same issues with the racket being to light, I started playing with it after having spent 3 or 4 years with the Volkl c10 Pro, a racket that over 12 oz. with an overgrip.

Over time I have created what I think is a good stick, but it has required massive amounts of lead to do so. Even still, I dont consider it a plow through type racket like a prestige, it is weighty, but I have gotten the best results by plaing with a lot of racket head speed with a poly in the mid 50's(cyberflash)

The Setup:

1. The handle I added 4 strips of half inch width lead from the to pof the buttcap to the top of the handle, where the foam ends, and the throat starts. The lead was applied to the 4 main sides of the handle to create a uniform application of lead that wouldnt chnage the grip shape.

2. 5 inch strips of lead inside the throat

3. Finally, 4, 7 inch strips of 1/2 inch widh lead at 3 and 9 in the hoop.

It may sound like a lot, but with counterwighting in the handle, and lead in the handle the hoop the overall weight if the racket is increased. It still feels to light compared to some of my other sticks

That is quite the project! :)

Doing all those mods might have helped. I don't mind doing a little bit here and there but when it is that much, it gets to the point that I wouldn't know where to start.

bfonz7
01-31-2008, 03:30 PM
Hi -

I play both singles and doubles (more doubles in league play). I have a pretty traditional game style with moderate spin and decent pace. No extreme grips or high-bouncing shots. I was a long-time PS 6.0 95 user and also liked a PK Laver S except my wrist didn't do so well with it.

Overall, the m-fil felt cheap - like it was more resin than graphite. I suspec that it was too light and just not rigid enough to make up for the lack of mass. There was just nothing the frame offered (except a nice grip shape) that I couldn't easily surpass with some other model.

Good info, I was interested in the racquet based based on the specs and cheap price. It probably is going to be my least favorite of the 3 demos, but I'm keeping an open mind!

Most of the sale racquets are either really bad sticks to begin with, or in the LM case 2 generations behind

vsdtrek
01-31-2008, 04:50 PM
To me, older models aren't that big of a deal unless you can't get grommets. Now crappy frames . . . :)

If you get the chance, let us know the results of your demo sessions. It's always interesting to read others' impressions of the same frame.

bfonz7
02-05-2008, 05:54 AM
Just received my demo's from TW yesterday. I will be hitting the courts tonight with them.

Dunlop MFill 200 16x19
Head Microgel Extreme Pro
Head LM Radical MP

Just swinging them around last night, I have no idea which one I like best. It's probably best going in unbiased anyways!

I'll post what I find for results afterwards

Richie Rich
02-05-2008, 06:10 AM
i've got a couple 200 16x19 and i can echo what others have said - in stock form they are too light and lack put away power. i added lead at 3/9 and under the grip to bring the strung weight up to 11.5oz and they play much better.

out of the demos you rec'd, i really liked the MGextreme pro stock and the LM rad in stock form too. but it's really what you like so hit with all 3 and go for the one you like best

robkat
02-05-2008, 07:40 AM
i've got a couple 200 16x19 and i can echo what others have said - in stock form they are too light and lack put away power. i added lead at 3/9 and under the grip to bring the strung weight up to 11.5oz and they play much better.

out of the demos you rec'd, i really liked the MGextreme pro stock and the LM rad in stock form too. but it's really what you like so hit with all 3 and go for the one you like best

I have been using the Mfil 200 16x19 for well over a year now. I agree with Richie, stock that are too light. I also added some lead at 3 and 9, Not much at all and added an over grip. I have three frames and they weigh between 323 and 329 grams, depending on the string type.
I really like the and they play with the added weight.

abenguyen
02-05-2008, 03:27 PM
well you basically answered your own question by demoing. but i can this that the mfil 200 16x19 and the lm radical have different string patterns. they will give a different feel and response from the stringbed. why would you consider those two to put up against each other now?

bfonz7
02-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Not the best hitting session I would have liked, but I made due. I wasn't able to find anyone on short notice, so I dragged my beginner wife to hit with me.

First off, I had added the Extreme Pro to my order because the specs intrigued me and it didn't increase my order total any $$$$. Needless to say I wasn't impressed and only used it for about 10 mins before setting it down for the session. It was tough to explain, but it felt like it had way too much power for my swing.

Next to the LM Radical, I actually liked this a lot. Coming from the LM Instinct, it was a quick transition and I liked how the power level wasn't as much as the Instinct used to be. Very easy to get around on the ball, overall a very pleasant experience. Serving was great, nice pace and placement. The price makes this very attractive that I would be able to pick up multiple sticks. I am sure there are similar racquets out there with similar specs, but the price puts this one over the top.

Next up was the Mfil200 16x19's turn. I somewhat liked this racquet, but everytime I hit the ball I was expecting more from it. I think leaded up this would be an excellent frame. It didn't seem like there was enough mass to plow through the ball like many other posters have already atested to.

Based on the price and not being blown away by it, I wouldn't even consider the Extreme Pro. I am almost certain I will make the switch to the LM Radical in the near future, but I am going to give the Radical MP and MFil 200 another go around in some match play tomorrow night or Thursday.

roundiesee
02-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Can you post again after your second session with them? Thanks.

abenguyen
02-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Not the best hitting session I would have liked, but I made due. I wasn't able to find anyone on short notice, so I dragged my beginner wife to hit with me.

First off, I had added the Extreme Pro to my order because the specs intrigued me and it didn't increase my order total any $$$$. Needless to say I wasn't impressed and only used it for about 10 mins before setting it down for the session. It was tough to explain, but it felt like it had way too much power for my swing.

Next to the LM Radical, I actually liked this a lot. Coming from the LM Instinct, it was a quick transition and I liked how the power level wasn't as much as the Instinct used to be. Very easy to get around on the ball, overall a very pleasant experience. Serving was great, nice pace and placement. The price makes this very attractive that I would be able to pick up multiple sticks. I am sure there are similar racquets out there with similar specs, but the price puts this one over the top.

Next up was the Mfil200 16x19's turn. I somewhat liked this racquet, but everytime I hit the ball I was expecting more from it. I think leaded up this would be an excellent frame. It didn't seem like there was enough mass to plow through the ball like many other posters have already atested to.

Based on the price and not being blown away by it, I wouldn't even consider the Extreme Pro. I am almost certain I will make the switch to the LM Radical in the near future, but I am going to give the Radical MP and MFil 200 another go around in some match play tomorrow night or Thursday.

well coming from your instinct you should expect to like the radical. close headsize and string pattern and stats basically. its a great stick and i have 3. if you ever feel like it needs more weight some lead will do the trick or CAP grommets but i don't want to take it that far until you decided on it

vsdtrek
02-06-2008, 06:03 AM

Definitely hit the mFil against a harder hitter - I think that will be very telling.