PDA

View Full Version : Yonex comparisons: Ti50, Ti70long, RDX500mid, Ti80

ferrari_827
12-16-2004, 07:00 AM
Someone asked me to do a comparison of these Yonexes so I thought I'd do it since I've played with all, and have 3, of these rackets.

To me, all the rackets except the Ti80 played so well it would be a three-way tie.

The Ti50 has the most power and you can hit alot of winners, and is good for flat strokes. The Ti70long is a serve and volleying machine. The RDX500mid feels great on everything, very accurate.
These play so well I can't tell which I play better with, there are no limits except that of the player with these rackets. I will say the RDXmid feels the best when swinging the racket, but all three are very comfortable.

The Ti80 felt a bit hollow and tinny to me although it plays well, so I rate it a step below the others.

stevewcosta
12-16-2004, 08:49 AM
For me, Yonex was on to something with the RDTI-70 98. If they made it standard length and 16X19 pattern, it would have been their best rac. in 15 yrs.

ferrari_827
12-16-2004, 09:05 AM
Exactly steve, I thought that if the Ti70 long had a stringing pattern of 16x19, it would be Yonex's best racket ever, and most probably the best racket *ever made* (I better watch it here !).

There's something about the head of shape of this racket, it's wider at the top, almost like an inverted triangle, which raises the sweetspot and helps with serving.

Maybe someone should e-mail Yonex and advise them to use the specs of the Ti70 for the next Yonex. Oh god, just imagine the hype on this board.

12-16-2004, 09:40 AM
I also thought the Ti80 was a bit tinny/hollow and unstable against serious pace on the baseline or at net....just too headlight. Balance was great for S & V but just didn't have enough 'beef'. Was good to serve with because the HL balance + low SW + stiff flex (for a Yonex) = major head speed.

I thought the 50 was flimsy feeling in the hoop and too noodley, but spin was wicked on groudies. Not a great vollyer or serving stick. Not a 'solid' racquet.

Ti70 98 was a great serving + volleying stick and could hit nice groundies as long as you concentrated on applying spin, because the 18x20 was not overly spin freindly. Had a bit of a 'metallic' feel, but was maneuverable @ net and had enough mass to hang on the baseline.

AAAA
12-16-2004, 06:32 PM
I thought the 50 was flimsy feeling in the hoop and too noodley, but spin was wicked on groudies. Not a great vollyer or serving stick. Not a 'solid' racquet.

Exactly my view. The racquet is so headlight, what little weight there is in the head doesn't help at all on volleys, serves,slices or countering pace.

The RD Ti-50 I had was a waste of money.

If you want a Yonex frame the MP Tour 1 is way better and the RDX 500 mid is better still.

silent bob
12-16-2004, 07:11 PM
With all due respect, I think these posters are smoking crack.

The rdti50 is the most head-light, and most would say the least powerful - it is more flexible than the others while of similar weight.

The flexy neck and open pattern make it very good for spin - definitely NOT a frame for hitting flat.

It's at the traditionalist extreme in terms of specs, but the Ti pingy sound actually turns off many traditionalists (but it goes away with a dampener).

ferrari_827
12-17-2004, 06:12 AM
Maybe I just got a "good" Ti50 but I didn't find it flimsy or unstable at all. The hoop was quite stiff and the racket weighed 12.4oz, hardly flimsy (!) Strange.

TennisMD
12-17-2004, 06:42 AM
I concur with ferrari, the Ti50 I used extensively about 3 yrs ago was a little less skilled and played aggressive baseline, now play all court, I also modified it slightly with lead tape at 10 and 2, forget how much but the whole racquet weighed about 12.6 oz. It was good on serves especially slice and ground strokes were very nice, since I did not come to net much then cannot comment on velley although I remember poster back then stating it was poor. I am tempted to restring it and give it a go.

TopSpinner
12-17-2004, 05:00 PM
I think Ti-50 was one of the better racquets that Yonex made in recent years. It was amazing for spin and control was amazing. I think it was on the lower side of the power scale through.

silent bob
12-17-2004, 05:22 PM
Just to clarify, I am also a big fan of the ti50 -- my weapon of choice. But, I would not describe it as powerful, or geared toward a flat hitter.

Excellent control, very good spin potential, and easy on the joints.

Not sure what I will do when my current pair break down.

Jerry Seinfeld
12-17-2004, 06:46 PM
The ti 80 is the best Yonex racquet with which I have hit. It doesn't have any weaknesses and the power level is just about perfect for my style of play. The sound does give the illusion of instability, but it is actually quite a stable racquet. I rate it much higher than the RDX 500 MP in terms of control. I haven't hit with the 500 mid yet, but the ti 80 is the most underrated and underappreciated frame in the Yonex stable to date. Better hurry up and get some before they are discontinued.

sm-2004
12-18-2004, 03:12 PM
The ti 80 is the best Yonex racquet with which I have hit.

Agree.

I demoed RDX 500 MP as well and I liked RD Ti80 better. Nice mix of control and power, especially with good strings. Cannot tell anything about another racquets in that list. But my friend believes, that Ti70 98 with 16x18 = Ti80.