PDA

View Full Version : What Racquet Should I Switch to?

Tennis Darren
01-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Right now I'm using the Babolat Pure Drive Roddick. I've found that it is too much power and not as much control as I'd like. I think that this racquet is for 3.5/4.0 or younger players that don't generate as much power and racquet speed. It worked just fine when I was younger, however, I no longer need the additional power. I'm really looking for a "player's" racquet (around 4.5-5.5) that has a stiffer frame and is heavier, seeing as how I can generate my own racquet speed now. Not exactly how to describe it... it just feels more solid ya know? lol :???:

Some racquets that I like are: the Babolat Pure Control, and the Head Liquidmetal Prestige. Any other suggestions? Thanks

p.s. I'm by no means a tennis expert and am not 100% sure of what I'm talking about lol:)

quest01
01-29-2008, 08:42 PM
There are 5.0-6.0 players who use the PDR or the Pure Drive cortex. I don't see how this racket is only designed for young people when there are pros who use the Pure Drive and 5.0 players.

lilxjohnyy
01-29-2008, 08:50 PM
also stiffer frame means more power

THSBOI
01-29-2008, 08:59 PM
Idk try pure storm tour+. You should really try to demo rackets you think thats good for you lol. Or if your friends have the rackets you like you should try them before you get people advice because they dont know what kind of grip you use and etc. Or at least post what kind of player you are agressive baseliner all round and etc. And what kind of grip you use. And the last "or" is to go to golf smith on a specific day i heard they can find a racket thats good for you by the way you swing unless you dont have a ********* nearby.

kairosntx
01-29-2008, 09:04 PM
When you demo some racquets (not if!) try out the Dunlop AG 200. I'd try the 18x20 for more control. Before you invest money into some new sticks, taking a few for a test drive is a must IMO.

As has been said your current frame is considered a players frame. If you want more control, try a higher string tension and some lead tape at 3 and 9 on the head.

If you haven't seen it already, try this page to look at customization options.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Customizing/customize.html

LPShanet
01-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Right now I'm using the Babolat Pure Drive Roddick. I've found that it is too much power and not as much control as I'd like. I think that this racquet is for 3.5/4.0 or younger players that don't generate as much power and racquet speed. It worked just fine when I was younger, however, I no longer need the additional power. I'm really looking for a "player's" racquet (around 4.5-5.5) that has a stiffer frame and is heavier, seeing as how I can generate my own racquet speed now. Not exactly how to describe it... it just feels more solid ya know? lol :???:

Some racquets that I like are: the Babolat Pure Control, and the Head Liquidmetal Prestige. Any other suggestions? Thanks

p.s. I'm by no means a tennis expert and am not 100% sure of what I'm talking about lol:)

Just to help you out in terms of objective specs, the other racquets you've mentioned (Pure Control, Liquidmetal Prestige) are more flexible than the Pure Drive Roddick, not stiffer. In fact, there are very few racquets available that are stiffer than the PDR, nor would you probably want them to be. While you're right that most players' frames are heavy, they are also most often more flexible. But as other posters have said, the best strategy is to demo as many frames as possible as thoroughly as possible.

tzinc
01-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Pure Storm Tour might be worth a demo.

bluegrasser
01-30-2008, 04:39 AM
Try the Prince hornet - has less power, put still good pop.

bcast66
01-31-2008, 04:20 AM
if you like the liquid metal prestige you will love the k90. i have every prestige so far exept classic, all in mid sized frames. but the k90 offers more spin i feel and a little more control because you get that added spin. only way to know is to try it out. try tecnifibre as well i hear it is really good. i played 1 point with my friends but he doesent let me play with it more than 1 point because i break strings wicked easily.

Maris
01-31-2008, 04:56 AM
I also played with pure drive in past (not Roddick) and switched to Babolat VS control and got more control and even power on my shots. Pure drive/Roddick is powerful racquet but graphite/kevlar composition takes back some juice and sweetspot of it. There is a wide range of racquets that you can try. I have to say that I go for the racquets that have thin beams but even give me great speed of the stringbed-I think that is any volkl/BB, yonex and babolat

fuzz nation
01-31-2008, 09:08 AM
I'd say try out a couple of racquets with familiar (comfortably similar) weight that have more flex in their diet. If you try one that is just too darn soft, you'll know it pretty quickly, but some frames with some extra flex should be a bit less touchy on the gas pedal. As far a specific feel is concerned, you'll have to sort that one out on your own.

TsongaBonga
01-31-2008, 02:30 PM
The MG Radical pro is what you need....................Maybe!