PDA

View Full Version : Any technique suggestion?

alexboo12
03-21-2004, 11:49 PM
Hi,
I changed from Head TI.heat to Volkl tour 9 (not the V) recently. I have been having problem with hitting the ball short. I am sure that it must have been bad technique but i have never had this problem ever. Any suggestion to help me correct this would be greatly appreciate.
Thanks,
A.P

ps 6.0
03-22-2004, 03:38 AM
what's the change between the heat and the volkl? does it feel heavier lighter, lower or higher swingweight, etc? once you see where the change is you can systematically breakdown and figure out what really has changed. just rally for about a half hour with your heat, then switch over to the volkl and try and notice the differences between the characteristics of the rackets are, and what about the differences are chagning your mechanics. most of the time it's simply timing, or a change in the balance and swingweight of the racket.

Steve H.
03-22-2004, 08:06 AM
The Tour 9 is heavier, has lower swingweight, and a smaller head than the Ti.Heat, all of these mean lower power. As you observe, the best way to deal with this is by improving your technique, it will have to do with developing a longer stroke, faster racquet speed on contact, and hitting more through the ball. Lessons can be a good idea.

You can also make your Volkl a little more powerful by changing the string and tension, or by adding a little weight to the hoop.

NoBadMojo
03-22-2004, 08:35 AM
the two reasons <mostly> for hitting short is you are standing up too early or your racquet system isnt powerful enough for your swing. dont know what string you are using on what tension and that would be helpful to know. the tour9 isnt very powerful but can be swung very fast if you have have a long powerful swing. maybe try a more powerful string and/or lower tension depending on what you are using now. i assume you bought the frame because you like the weight and balance so maybe leading it up shouldnt be your first choice. Ed

kreative
03-22-2004, 11:27 AM
racquet-wize, the tour 9 is heavier, but swingweight is slightly lower. from what i can recall, the ti.heat is a head heavy racquet, whereas the tour 9 is 6 points headlight. the headheaviness of a racquet will help you plow through a ball cinsidering that you can get it going. it may also seem more stable as there's more weight in the head.

what made you change racquets anyhow, and what type of strokes do you hit? forehand grip, backhand grip, etc. it's most likely technique, or getting used to the new racquet feel.

alexboo12
03-22-2004, 06:34 PM
wow, thankss heap for all the responds guys. I am an all court player, semi-topspin for both forehand and two handed backhand, flat firstserve and kick second. The racquet is strung at 62, forgot the brand of the string. The main reason that i switched is because i have been using the heat for about 4yrs and felt like it is about time. I have demoed dunlop 300g, tour mf-98, lm radical, yonex tour 5, and the volkl tour 9. Eventually, settled on the tour 9. During the demo period, i was playing with friends who are not quite as good so i didnt get pushed too hard. Now i found more ppl who can push me a bit more and this is when the mentioned problem occurs. I am sure that i will need to pay more attention on my technique but it sure nice to know that i can still get the ball a bit deeper on those hurry shots. With the volkl, i started to feel that i will have to increase my swing speed and plow through a bit more on those hurry shot. Probably shorten the swing a bit more, trust the racquet and just go for it. Ps, i think the demo racquet did have a lower string tension thus a bit more power on those off-shot.