PDA

View Full Version : Unforgivind/forgiving

DomStar7
01-30-2008, 07:36 AM
i come across them words alot and they seem to both be used in good ways.

what does it mean if a racquet is 'forgiving' and 'unforgiving'

Gimmick
01-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Sometimes it refers to headsize, sometimes to sweetspot, sometimes to flex, and sometimes to the power/control balance amongst others. You really need to look at the context in which it is used since it is bandied about so freely.

PimpMyGame
01-30-2008, 10:51 AM
I usually take "unforgiving" to mean that if you don't hit the ball with an assured amount of technical ability you will not produce a good shot. Conversely, a "forgiving" frame will allow you to hit the ball with some leeway on the technicals.

Certainly for those with good technical ability, an unforgiving frame will reap bigger benefits in terms of power, control, placement. Therefore they may play with a frame regarded as "unforgiving" but I doubt they would describe it as that.

For the majority of others (me included) something a bit more forgiving means that we can play, compete, and best of all enjoy, our tennis without shanking everything in sight. I play with an nBlade MP, which I consider a more "forgiving" frame. I deliberately left out an example of an "unforgiving" frame hoping that someone who uses one will pick up the baton.

matchmaker
01-30-2008, 01:25 PM
This is actually one of the TW buzz words without a clear meaning. Basically forgiving means it is easy to use: bigg sweetspot and even if you shank your shot the ball will fall in; unforgiving then again refers to racquets that react badly when your stroke is bad, which would actually be normal, wouldn't it?

Forgiving should apply more to tweeners and unforgiving should actually be a compliment to a player's frame.

Well these terms are just marketing stuff without much meaning.

fuzz nation
01-30-2008, 02:01 PM
A racquet typically seems unforgiving for me when its sweetspot is elusive and seems to be about the size of a pea. A forgiving racquet fits my swing so that I can naturally and consistently put the ball on the sweetspot and even if I catch the ball a little off center, the shot still goes in the general direction that I intended.

A frame that is especially low powered would earn more of a reputation from me as a demanding racquet than an unforgiving one. I think that if I was stuck with a bat that was both very low powered and seemed to have no sweetspot at all, my word for that one would be "kryptonite".

DonBot
01-31-2008, 12:02 PM
Let me reason by analogy: PS85- Unforgiving small head size, sweet spot size of pea, kind of sort of heavy (but great balance) and you have to take one hecccccckkkkkkkkuva cut at the ball to generate pace. Forgiving- Big Bubba- it is large, light and pure sweetspot- to get the ball to go over the net you just vaguely flick your wrist and the ball lands 30 feet outside the court. The raquet is designed for a 90 year old on oxygen and zip zero muscle mass.