PDA

View Full Version : Computer Problem

Tour90
12-16-2004, 10:41 AM
Well, it's finals week at the UW and I've done all of my studying, and I just finished taking all of my exams. Yesterday, I got home and turned on my computer and everything worked fine. When I loaded Internet Explorer, ads started to pop up so I decided to do a system restore. After that was complete, it had to restart the computer.

Now when I turn on my computer all I get is a blue screen with the mouse cursor. I've tried safe mode and everything. And for some reason it's just a stupid blue screen. I would be very dissappointed if I lost all 7-10 tennis matches that I have downloaded. Please let me know what to do before I lose all of my data!!

Thanks

AAAA
12-16-2004, 07:33 PM
What do you mean by 'system restore'?

1) Reinstall OS from installation CD

2) Used the system restore feature of Windows XP to rollback to a previous state.

3) Something else. What?

You haven't given enough information but what you described could happen if the files and/or configuration used for starting the OS are corrupted.

AAAA
12-16-2004, 07:42 PM
RE point 1 above, is it a proper OS install from a Microsoft CD or something else? If it's something else you may well have what's known as a Ghost-image/Disk-image restore and things become more complicated.

Tour90
12-17-2004, 04:05 PM
I used the system restore feature in the Windows XP to go to the previous state. Not so sure why it's acting like this. I've done this several of times before and nothing like this has happened.

thehustler
12-17-2004, 09:42 PM
What does the message on the blue screen say? It's usually at the top, can say stuff like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL followed by a whole bunch of (0x0000000). That error message can tell you what's going on. If you go to support.microsoft.com, choose your OS and enter in that error message it will then tell you what's up and how to fix it. It sounds like you had spyware on your machine. Do you run adaware at all or anything else that checks for spyware? Very important that you do so. Let me know what's up and I might be able to save your data.

Tour90
12-21-2004, 08:20 AM
it's alright. I just hooked it up to my brother's computer and had it read as a secondary drive. Everything was recovered. Thanks hustler. Let me know if you want some tennis matches, I can burn you a few with my plextor dvd 712a burner.

thehustler
12-22-2004, 03:22 PM
Tour,

Glad to see that you were able to recover the data ok. Glad there was another computer around for you to hook it up to and recover the data. I'd love to see some tennis matches. What ones do you have? I'm actually thinking about getting a DVD burner. What're the specs on yours? Ya like it? Hate it? TIA.

Tour90
12-22-2004, 04:53 PM
I've got several matches:

Calleri vs Agassi
Coria vs Safin
Federer vs Agassi (poor sound)
Federer vs Hewitt
Federer vs Hewitt (US Open)
Haas vs Roddick
Henman vs Chela
Hewitt vs Nadal
Massu vs Moya
Roddick vs Agassi
Safin vs Agassi
Sampras vs Agassi
Srichaphan vs Johansson

Those are the ones that I have. If you plan getting a dvd burner, I reccommend the Plextor 716a. It's almost like mine, reads dvd's at 16X. It's pricey but it will eventually go down after a year or less. I personally think Plextor makes the best burners, but everyone has their opinions. Just e-mail at stevet_86@yahoo.com

Thanks