PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when to get a new racquet?

rosenstar
01-30-2008, 03:05 PM
So how do you know when to get a new racquet? Of course if one of your frames breaks or if you make a drastic change in your game, you might need to change something, but on the other hand many folks find one frame and stick with it forever.

Here's my story:

I have a few PDR's that I'm in love with. Today I broke strings on all my frames, and played with my coaches k95. I was definitely hitting through the ball much better. I usually hit a heavy topspin, but this ball today really penetrated through the court. It got me wondering about a new frame.

Some things I've thought about are:
-Get a completely new frame
-add more lead to mine (it's got a grand total of about 3 grams on it now)
-leave my racquet as is

I'm not sure what to do, I kind of think that the fact that I play better w/ the k95 is all in my head. I dunno. What do you think? New frame? Add some lead? Or is it all in my head? Fortunately I've been doing very well on online poker, so money really isn't an issue ;-)

PROTENNIS63
01-30-2008, 03:07 PM
After 1 year usually. That is if you play 5-6 days a week and train hard. If you are a recreational player or play like 2-3 times a week, I think the racquet can be good for like 3 years or so. Of course there are people who use racquets for 5+ years but they do not realize the performance has dropped.

rosenstar
01-30-2008, 03:20 PM
After 1 year usually. That is if you play 5-6 days a week and train hard. If you are a recreational player or play like 2-3 times a week, I think the racquet can be good for like 3 years or so. Of course there are people who use racquets for 5+ years but they do not realize the performance has dropped.

I play 4-7 times a week. I'm a competitive player trying to play college tennis. And by new racquet, I don't mean just another PDR, I mean a completely different racquet.

bcast66
01-30-2008, 06:32 PM
well first off god only knows why you bought that racquet "COUGH market outsmarted you COUGH" if you have improved since you bought that racquet and you feel there is nothing more you can do to bring your game up get another racquet. and chances are if your good your racquets are not as lively as they used to be. i suggest you try tecnfibre ill give you a tour on those. i have countless prestige mids i will tell you how the tecnifibre plays when it arrives.

PROTENNIS63
01-30-2008, 06:34 PM
I play 4-7 times a week. I'm a competitive player trying to play college tennis. And by new racquet, I don't mean just another PDR, I mean a completely different racquet.

How long have you been playing with your current racquet? If more than 18-24 months, I would consider getting a new racquet.

StealthGnome
01-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Just keep buying racquets and you won't have to worry about switching. :)

Steve Huff
01-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Like any purchase, break down things into "wants" and "needs". After you satisfy your "needs", start on your "wants". Weigh them against each other. Some "wants" might be: Money in the bank, a new car, new rackets, a date, dinner out, a movie, etc. Only you know which "wants" are most important to you.

HRP_FG2
01-30-2008, 09:54 PM
man im the same way as u, i play with a APD and i hit with a lot of heavy topspin, then i tryed my friends wilson and i seem like i had more control, faster, and the ball wasnt so loopy, and my serve seemed better. And i had more touch and feel, so i decided to buy a new racquet.

Alafter
01-30-2008, 10:33 PM
When you want a new one.

Don't try to justify it, especially when your current racquet is already a pretty good one.

AmericanTemplar
01-30-2008, 10:33 PM

So if he's rotating 3 racquets playing 5-6 days a week, then ought he wait 3 years before replacing his racquets?

rosenstar
01-31-2008, 03:18 PM
How long have you been playing with your current racquet? If more than 18-24 months, I would consider getting a new racquet.

I don't know exactly how old the frames are. I've been playing with this racquet about 2 years maybe?

The racquets are fine. It was all in my head. I decided that theres no reason to change.