PDA

View Full Version : Why did Borg lose Wimbledon in 1981?

max
01-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Just curious; been seeing the match on video lately.

Moose Malloy
01-30-2008, 04:05 PM
Well, it was quite close. Borg had set points to go up 2 sets to one, who knows what would have happened had he closed that set out.

here is a thread on it:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=165964

CyBorg
01-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Borg's coach later said that Borg played with less energy than in the past. In seeing the match I find that this is probably true. Even after falling behind two sets to one Borg could have still come back - he did it many times before. But he was somewhat resigned in the fourth; perhaps finally willing to accept his fate.

Borg still put up a battle, but he appeared tired of the burden of having won Wimbledon for so many years in a row.

When Borg won RG earlier that year he seemed strangely laid back. I don't think he even cracked a smile after beating Lendl.

18 months later there were talks of Borg returning to play both Wimbledon and the US Open but early in '83 Borg made it apparent that he just didn't have the competitive juices flowing anymore.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/6913/borg83gh8.png

hoodjem
01-30-2008, 07:03 PM
About this 1981 Wimbledon final, Borg said that he felt like he was "ahead all the time; I was the better player," and should have won. But Borg also said, "Mentally, I was not 100% focused. Mentally, I was a little bit off."

Go to 1:35 on this video--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nZNxO-OewQ&feature=related

federerfanatic
01-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Considering how extremely close McEnroe had been to beating the previous year I dont think it was very surprising.

urban
01-31-2008, 12:23 AM
Borg had always trouble with with lefthanded serves wide to his backhand. Tanner had his chances, Mac could have been up 2 sets to nil in the previous year. Now it was a reversal: Mac started slowly, but after the turning point in the second set, which Mac survived with his own positive play, not due to Borg errors, Mac got a grip on the match. And he beat Borg even more clearly at the USO later, although Borg did win a set there and had a lead in the third.

max
01-31-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks. As I've been watching it, it looks to my eyes that Borg's more tired-looking than McEnroe, who buzzes around with nervous energy. The BBC commentators mention a tough 5-setter that Borg had with Connors.

Just a tough day at the office. Not to mention McEnroe's netplay.

BreakPoint
01-31-2008, 02:18 PM
About this 1981 Wimbledon final, Borg said that he felt like he was "ahead all the time; I was the better player," and should have won. But Borg also said, "Mentally, I was not 100% focused. Mentally, I was a little bit off."

Yes, I've heard interviews with Borg years later when he said that he felt he played much better in the '81 final than in the '80 final and was quite surprised that he lost the '81 final but won the '80 final.

CEvertFan
01-31-2008, 02:34 PM
Simple, McEnroe just played better that day. Given that Borg was starting to burn out and that his match with McEnroe was so tough the year before, it's no surprise that he lost the '81 final. His tough five set semifinal against Connors surely didn't help either.