PDA

View Full Version : Best McEnroe Quotes

Lendl's Forehand
01-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Guys, sorry for the diversion, but I remember McEnroe calling one guy a "commie *******" during a match and on another occasion telling another player he lost to "You'll pay for this, and I mean that".

Now, though, I can't find any references on the web (google, Youtube).

Anyone else remember either of these? Most of what shows up is the "You can't be serious" and "Pits of the World" stuff.....

martin
01-30-2008, 02:43 PM
I wish they had a videoclip of all his outbursts. I really miss these personalities. Tennis is still great but they killed the personalities and the entertainment because of the rules.

Moose Malloy
01-30-2008, 02:56 PM
10. What other problems do you have besides being unemployed, a moron, and a dork?

9. Is it against the law to argue?

8. Couldnt you see anything? that cost me the damn set.

7. You are a disgrace to mankind.

6. you are the absolute pits of the world.

5. Were not going to have a point taken away, because this guy is an incompetent fool you know that.

4. how much bigger a point can you screw it up with? it makes me sick.

3. what did i say umpire? tell me, please tell me, please tell me.

2. answer the question, the question jerk.

1. You cannot be serious. taht ball was on the line. chalk flew up.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=72958

I want to get this T-shirt!

vbranis
01-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Resolve disputes...
Interesting.

Mick
01-30-2008, 07:20 PM
i remember hearing McEnroe telling a bald lineman to "grow some hair" in a televised match.

Tempest344
01-30-2008, 09:43 PM
"your never going to work on a court again you understand me?
your pathetic!
you're the worst umpire I've ever seen in my life,
you're never going to work another match"

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=YxAPKtOe0fQ

A.J. Sim
01-31-2008, 08:24 AM
10. What other problems do you have besides being unemployed, a moron, and a dork?

5. Were not going to have a point taken away, because this guy is an incompetent fool you know that.

Great find Moose, but on #6 you left out the best part:

"You are the absolute pits of the world. Vultures! Trash!"

gully
01-31-2008, 10:33 AM
Vultures! Trash!"Hey, there's a guy in the Odds & Ends forum who needs a band name....

peluzon
01-31-2008, 11:33 AM
"you Are A Drakulie"

GS
01-31-2008, 11:38 AM
Years ago, Mac with his then-wife Tatum and their kids, were flying from San Francisco to Hawaii. All the passengers got onboard, but Tatum was late, since she was still in a restroom. Mac yelled, "Hold that plane!" He then kept the plane's door from being shut, injuring a United Airlines worker's wrist. Mac got off easy after the trial, meaning, no contest from United Airlines, since he was a celebrity, a minor incident, and bad publicity.
You know, it's very unusual that Mac is a decent TV commentator, while as a player, he was a crazy nut as well as on the current Seniors Tour, still complaining to umpires like crazy. Is it because he's entertaining somehow, and helps to sell tickets? Well, when he starts swearing and kids hear that, I don't think so. Great role model, Mac. Your kids will turn out great....

tacoben
01-31-2008, 01:01 PM
"Bald eagle"...at an umpire and "chalk flew up" at a linesman both during a Wimbledon match. Mac is a piece of work.

Al Czervik
01-31-2008, 04:54 PM
Johnny had a classic "French Frog ***" blast on someone that BreakPoint or another of us Mac sycophants should be able to pull...

Al Czervik
01-31-2008, 05:00 PM
Johnny had a classic "French Frog ***" blast on someone that BreakPoint or another of us Mac sycophants should be able to pull...

Bumping your own post is lame, but Curry Kirkpatrick does it justice.

As for our other roving troubleshooter, McEnroe began by assaulting a Canon Fl camera, which presumably had the effrontery to be focusing on his bad side, with his foot. At other intervals during that first-round match against one Ben Testerman he addressed assorted officials as "moron" and "bleeping chicken bleep" and with his new alliterative house special, "you bleeping French frog ***." In his quarterfinal loss to Wilander, McEnroe was ultimately destroyed by a line call that provoked one of his vintage tirades. This time the primary target was tournament supervisor Kurt Nielsen, who was sitting at courtside. Mac screamed at Nielsen that the call -- get this alliteration -- was "the most disgusting, disgraceful decision I've ever seen. You guys do nothing . . . just go by what this moron [the chair umpire] says. Hey, Kurt, have I been fined yet?" But between his first match and his last, why, McEnroe might as well have been Charles Aznavour, so mellow was he.

Wilander put Mac out of his misery -- "I hate this country," McEnroe was heard to shout on one occasion -- with a 1-6, 6-2, 6-4, 6-0 victory that was shocking in its denouement. After some brilliant serve-and-volley stuff in the first set, McEnroe regained control in the third, even though Wilander had gained some rhythm on his punishing ground game. At 4-1, however, McEnroe netted a forehand volley that would have given him triple break point. Quickly he degenerated into a horribly loose patch, losing the sixth game and, from 40-15 on his own serve, the seventh as well, on four straight points. Wilander held at love for four-all, but despite having lost eight points in a row, McEnroe was still in it. Then, suddenly, he wasn't.

Game 9, first point: Routine forehand drop volley for McEnroe. Wide. Uh, oh. First Mac ordered the linesman to show him the mark. Then he squealed at the chair for a reversal. Then the net judge got into the act, pointing out the mark himself. Then McEnroe launched his attack on Nielsen. Was Mac in a rage? Was the Court Central in an uproar? Doesn't a drop volley land so gently that it hardly makes a mark anyway? None of that mattered. What mattered was that McEnroe fell apart, and he lost 14 more points in a row. That made 23 consecutive points for Wilander, who didn't miss until he was leading 2-0, 40-0 in the fourth set.

McEnroe continued to berate the audience, ***** at officials and clown around. Once he halted play to sit and applaude the Columbia as the space shuttle flew overhead atop its caddy plane on a break from the Paris air show. Later, during a shirt change, he popped his pecs like Lou Ferrigno or somebody. In the end McEnroe had provided still another stupid display of temperament or paranoia or whatever it is that his private demons have concocted to deny him crowd respect, personal joy and, this time, a splendid chance to win a match and a tournament that were quite within reach. "It didn't disturb me," Wilander said of Mac's actions. "But I think this time his complaining disturbed him."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/cover/2002/then_now/flashbacks/noah_061383/

Leublu tennis
02-01-2008, 05:53 AM
Do we have any quotes or whatever from the opponents? It would be interesting to find out how the other players felt about it. I did see a clip of Connors, with a smile on his face, patiently waiting for the tirade to be over. But haven't heard about comments from other players.

9000tennis
02-01-2008, 06:44 AM
I remember McEnroe being asked what he liked best, grass or hard court. He replied, "I don't know, I've never smoked hard court."

Deuce
02-02-2008, 01:12 AM

Funny... the only John McEnroe quote that I remember is:
"I am an incredibly arrogant and obnoxious jerk, and I enjoy flaunting that fact because I require more attention than a 3 year old child."

JohnnyF
02-02-2008, 08:34 AM
i remember hearing McEnroe telling a bald lineman to "grow some hair" in a televised match.

Yeah that was the 1984 US Open final against Lendl where he told the linesman to grow some hair.

The commie """"""" comment was to Tomas Smid I believe.

IanRichardson
02-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Years ago, Mac with his then-wife Tatum and their kids, were flying from San Francisco to Hawaii. All the passengers got onboard, but Tatum was late, since she was still in a restroom. Mac yelled, "Hold that plane!" He then kept the plane's door from being shut, injuring a United Airlines worker's wrist. Mac got off easy after the trial, meaning, no contest from United Airlines, since he was a celebrity, a minor incident, and bad publicity.
You know, it's very unusual that Mac is a decent TV commentator, while as a player, he was a crazy nut as well as on the current Seniors Tour, still complaining to umpires like crazy. Is it because he's entertaining somehow, and helps to sell tickets? Well, when he starts swearing and kids hear that, I don't think so. Great role model, Mac. Your kids will turn out great....

hearing a few swear words wont make your kids turn out great. Please dont try to blame mac saying damn, or dropping an f bomb for your kid being a terrorist. It is parenting. If mac says the f word in front of your kid it is your job as a parent to tell your child that is not how they should act. I realize it makes the job of a parent more difficult, but nobody said parenting was easy. Do you not let your children watch any television shows? I know they cant hear the f word on the tv here in the states except after 1 in the morning but still, about everything else is fair game.

Hearing someone swear doesnt make people turn out bad. Bad parenting does.

FiveO
02-02-2008, 09:22 AM
I wish they had a videoclip of all his outbursts. I really miss these personalities. Tennis is still great but they killed the personalities and the entertainment because of the rules.

You could always do as Ed Norton's character did in the movie Fight Club, and just drop in to your local YMCA, sit in on the Anger Management Self Help Group meeting at 8:00 PM, then transition right over to Tourette's Anonymous Support Group at 9:00 PM, to get your fix of like personalities. I guess those would be entertaining too.

Arafel
02-02-2008, 09:45 AM
I always loved the chalk flew up comment, especially since it was true. Chalk DID fly up, and the ball was on the line.

Connors did berate McEnroe once, saying something to effect of his kids had better manners than him. Considering Connors' kids were about 3 at the time, it says something.

Of course, Jimmy could be almost as vulgar at times, but he never seemed to be petulant.

Deuce
02-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Of course, Jimmy could be almost as vulgar at times, but he never seemed to be petulant.
Perhaps not... but Connors was just as arrogant and obnoxious as McEnroe.
One main difference is that Connors would throw in some humour every now and then - albeit usually quite adolescent humor. Such as his "At least kiss me when you screw me" comment to an umpire after what Connors thought was a bad call.

Leelord337
02-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Does anybody remember when mcenroe got mad and threw a water bottle at the chair umpre and it missed the umpire and hit a kid in the audience in the face?

True story...Later mcenroe gave that kid a free tennis lesson as an apology.

kiki
09-28-2013, 06:39 AM

" Do you still have problems with your wife ?"

Rozroz
09-28-2013, 01:28 PM
Does anybody remember when mcenroe got mad and threw a water bottle at the chair umpre and it missed the umpire and hit a kid in the audience in the face?

True story...Later mcenroe gave that kid a free tennis lesson as an apology.

wow... this i gotta see

SusanDK
10-01-2013, 12:01 AM
In 43 seconds, several of his best quotes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekQ_Ja02gTY

rufus_smith
10-01-2013, 07:14 AM
As a TV commentator he seems so mild, controlled, and even self-effacing. He never comes close to bad language and never insults anyone. OTOH I've sat in the first row of one of his tennis matches and never saw a player so intense or so enraged for no particular reason. I heard language, spoken, mostly to himself but sometimes to somebody in the crowd, that would make an MMA fighter blush. It didn't seem to be a "put on" either. At one point someone made some noise in the crowd and he flung his racquet at the stands. It got scary. It was appalling but at least I could tell McEnroe really cared and was giving his best. He was not ever "tanking" a match. In the end I went to the trouble of getting an autographed picture of him. Maybe I'm crazy too.

Vcore89
10-01-2013, 07:20 AM
''I'll drop my pants/shorts if Michael Chang wins Wimbledon!'' -- Johnny Mac

El Diablo
10-01-2013, 07:20 AM
^^ there is some difference in what we say when we're 20 and what we say in our mid 50s.

kiki
10-05-2013, 05:45 AM
Connors did have some bright quotes on Mac.watch the interview after beating him at the 1981 Wembley Pool, available on You Tube

In the 1980 Wimbledon, after being beaten by the New Yorker in the semis, somebody asked what had Jimmy told John in a brief words exchange at the net that had taken place during that torrid, yet dull semifinal.He answered that he had told mac that " next year Iīll bring my 2 yrs old kid, he will teach you good manners"

kiki
10-05-2013, 05:50 AM
But maybe one of the GREATEST QUOTES EVER MADE IN PRO SPORTS happened after the 1981 Wimbledon Champions dance.

Mc Enroe had had a big turmoil with the british yellow press and, as raged as he was, didnīt attend the mandatory dance.Chris Evert, her dancing partner that night, just took the microphone and said something like " I feel bad as an american citizen that John did take the decision not to join us here, but I am afraid I cannot talk on his behalf SINCE I DO NOT HAVE HIS VOCABULARIES"

A couple of days later, a journalist informed Jimmy Connors about what had happened in that party.Connors, always as fast with his mouth as he was with his play answered in a second: " I have been on court ( and off) with Chris enough times to swear to you that she can match vocabularies with John anytime"

Pure Golden Era,unmatchable times isnīt it?

GS
10-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Years ago, Mac screamed at the ump, "I'll bet you 10,000 dollars that ball was out!" This was, of course, before instant replay....

borg number one
10-05-2013, 10:30 AM
But maybe one of the GREATEST QUOTES EVER MADE IN PRO SPORTS happened after the 1981 Wimbledon Champions dance.

Mc Enroe had had a big turmoil with the british yellow press and, as raged as he was, didnīt attend the mandatory dance.Chris Evert, her dancing partner that night, just took the microphone and said something like " I feel bad as an american citizen that John did take the decision not to join us here, but I am afraid I cannot talk on his behalf SINCE I DO NOT HAVE HIS VOCABULARIES"

A couple of days later, a journalist informed Jimmy Connors about what had happened in that party.Connors, always as fast with his mouth as he was with his play answered in a second: " I have been on court ( and off) with Chris enough times to swear to you that she can match vocabularies with John anytime"

Pure Golden Era,unmatchable times isnīt it?

Awesome stuff Kiki! That's funny. That era was absolutely filled to the top with extremely talented, funny, witty, intense, and competitive players.That is pure Golden Era, you're exactly right. Evert, Navratilova, Goolagong, Austin, Borg, Connors, McEnroe, Lendl, Vilas, Clerc and Gerulaitis! How's that for 10-11 interesting players?

http://plazbovo.free.fr/images/chronopen/1982/1982-wim-connors-mcenroe-0.jpg
http://www.atobeira.es/saw/files/BlogVideo/connorsvsmcenroe.jpg
http://www.wtatennis.com/javaImages/74/7c/0,,12781~8092788,00.jpg
http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/thumbnailfull/john-mcenroe-jimmy-connors-2009-9-4-18-40-25.jpg

kiki
10-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Awesome stuff Kiki! That's funny. That era was absolutely filled to the top with extremely talented, funny, witty, intense, and competitive players.That is pure Golden Era, you're exactly right. Evert, Navratilova, Goolagong, Austin, Borg, Connors, McEnroe, Lendl, Vilas, Clerc and Gerulaitis! How's that for 10-11 interesting players?

http://plazbovo.free.fr/images/chronopen/1982/1982-wim-connors-mcenroe-0.jpg
http://www.atobeira.es/saw/files/BlogVideo/connorsvsmcenroe.jpg

http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/thumbnailfull/john-mcenroe-jimmy-connors-2009-9-4-18-40-25.jpg

Yep, there were quit a few interesting characters, as colourful as King,Mandlikova,Ruzici,Wade,Casals,Newcombe,Panatt a,Pecci,Amritraj,Nastase,Ashe in addition to those you mentioned