PDA

View Full Version : Any Irish or British people here ?

firstservethenvolley
01-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Hi,
I am planning on visiting Cork or Brighton next year and would like to know how the cities are? Any input would be appreciated.

mrjohansson
01-31-2008, 10:00 AM
hi, this might help 8)

http://www.visitbrighton.com/

Dedans Penthouse
01-31-2008, 11:29 AM
Brighton Beach (of Neil Simon fame) in Brooklyn is the only "Brighton" I've set foot in. As for Cork:

I passed through Cork a few years ago while traveling from around the Ring of Kerry/Dingle Pennisula which is fairly nearby in S.W. Ireland, which, in general I would HIGHLY recommend visiting if you could swing it. We were on our way to a wedding in Wexford by way of Waterford. The city of Cork itself is a bustling city that may reflect the 'Celtic Tiger' (the robust Irish economy), but in reality is not really that pretty a city; more, it reflects its rugged working class past. While there, I recalled a sign on a pre-construction site citing a 250M-E Euro-Union project that was to commence in Cork (underground retail/tranporation center or something). Outside of Cork, quite nearby and a very short drive away, is the coastal city of Kinsale. Now THAT town I would recommend visiting--and you could do it in a morning. That said, as for Cork: I had read in a travelogue that there was a cathedral (St. Ann's) on the top of a hill overlooking the downtown whose large/tall bell tower you could climb (for a fee) in order to gain access to the bellfry. When we first were wandering around the main drag in Cork, we could hear an occassional peal of a bell in the distance but nothing suggesting anything beyond the random "gongs!" of a church bell. I mentioned in advance that I wanted to play the bells at some point while in Cork, so, our party split up (as others wanted to walk around/shop in the downtown area) and planned to re-join each other at a specified time. Before leaving, I asked them if they would please "keep an ear out for us" and listen for a musical cue (if they could): the cue would be that "hourly signal" that you'd hear from a grandfather's clock, or, that same 'chime signal' that's often used to announce dinner being served. So as not to keep them hanging, we agreed that we'd call them via cell phone call when we arrived and just prior to entering the cathedral.

We drive up a series of twisting streets and eventually find the cathedral and sure enough, they allow you to ring/play these huge church bells in the tower--I kid you not! You ascend a long, winding set of stairs and arrive up in a large room just beneath the bellfry itself. Along the wall in that room, there are a series of ropes/pulleys that are set up in a quasi-keyboard manner, that is, "low-to-high" in a "left-to-right" manner. You climb up on a ledge and can "JAM" to your heart's content. Be advised however (if you're a musician), that there are no 1/2 step intervals--only whole note intervals--so you'll have to 'adjust' your melody, or pick a song where that "half-step" challenge doesn't really come into play. Also, there's only one interval involved, so you'll have to adjust "up-or-down" as needed as well.

That said, when my party and I arrived, there were some German tourists having fun, tentitively noodling around with the 'ropes' (bells). One look at that rope/pulley setup and I was chomping at the bit to get at 'em. The good folks eventually, politely gave way and I climbed up onto the ledge and announced to the small assemblege: "Hello...I'm taking requests!!" From there (as an introduction), I launched into the "grandfather clock signal" TO THE REST OF OUR PARTY A MILE AWAY "DOWN" IN THE DOWNTOWN as agreed upon. After finishing that "intro-to-the-hour," instead of "announcing" the hour by hitting a series of low gongs, instead, I alternately pulled on a pair of ropes to produce a quick "3-1, 3-1, 3-1" interval...the same interval-tone you'd hear from a cuckoo-clock when the bird is going in and out of his/her house. Yeah, I know: real hi-brow stuff :rolleyes: oh well...

I followed that up with "Hey Good Looking" from Hank Williams followed by "With a Little Help From My Friends" off Sgt. Pepper (dedicated to my "downtown" friends. Not exactly Tubular Bells but easy "whole-step" tunes. That day 'twas the 4th of July (which I remembered because it's also my birthday), so I played the final stanza of the "Stars Bangled Banner" and then I then finished with a *cough* medley: the "Laurel & Hardy" theme follwed by the ending of the "Three Stooges" theme. Sorry to warble on, but our party as well as those German tourists were laughing our asses off by the end. I gave way to the others, at which point, I'm sure the attendants at the base of the tower were none too pleased. Bottom line: they did hear it, with varying degrees of volume depending on the directional shift of the wind.

Firstservethenvolley: if you do go to Cork (esp. if you or your partner/friend play music), go up the hill to that cathedral (lemme see if I can look it up for you). Viola! They're called "The Bells of Shandon."
Check this out (scroll down to "St. Ann's in Cork").:
http://www2.cyg.net/~stjam/note7.htm

FedExpress
02-02-2008, 03:43 AM
Hi,
I am planning on visiting Cork or Brighton next year and would like to know how the cities are? Any input would be appreciated.

I'm from Cork. Anything in particular you want to know?

firstservethenvolley
02-02-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm from Cork. Anything in particular you want to know?

I'll probably be living there for a year or so. I just wanted to know how the city is regarding proximity to other places and fun things to do.
All the people I've talked to about Cork seem to tell me about the bells up the hill.
Thanks.

And thank you to dedans penthouse for such a detailed and nice reply. :) I'll make sure to go up to the Bells of Shandon.