PDA

View Full Version : heavy rackets

J-lob
01-31-2008, 04:30 AM
should intermediates play with rackets with a weight heavier than 11.5oz????? cause i'm an intermidiate player who owns a prince O3 white. my coach says i should get a heavier racket cause i'm strong. anyone agree that intermediate who can handle the heft get heavy rackets like the microgel prestige or pure drive roddick?

kairosntx
01-31-2008, 04:33 AM
Or add some weight to yours?

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Customizing/customize.html

kairosntx
01-31-2008, 04:35 AM
I've been using a "heavy racquet" since I was in high school. All racquets were considered heavy until composite material began showing up. If you are "strong" and your coach has recommended it, I would not hesitate to use a heavy stick. you might was to add some weight to yours before you spend money on new frames. Also if you use a heavier frame, you will have to have long/fast strokes.

bcast66
01-31-2008, 05:15 AM
go with what you feel comfortable. i have a heavy frame and love it to death. but when ever i get into match play i become inconsistent because i alter my swing style a bit. i can still serve and everything else find but if i get into a long rally i will loose 9/10 points. i am going to get more open frame for top spin.

origmarm
01-31-2008, 06:14 AM
At the end of the day its what you feel comfortable with. My feeling on this is that you should play the heaviest stick you feel comfortable with, it gives you more stability on returns, good ploughthrough etc...and as long as you can handle the weight for a match this is a good thing

grass_hopper
01-31-2008, 07:14 AM
try the speedport white pro. I found it more stable, plowthrough and better feel than the white. it should also let you know right away if you like more hefty racquets.

babar
01-31-2008, 07:26 AM
I agree with origmarm that you should play with the heaviest racquet that you feel comfortable hitting with. I tried to play with lighter racquets before and found them to be too unstable, but the heavy ones to be too slow to swing. I had to demo others to find a range that worked for me. Your coach probably has a good feel for your game, so I would take his advice and then see how it works. If it is not working for some reason, then you can try again. Good Luck!

fuzz nation
01-31-2008, 08:22 AM
Do you have issues with consistency or control right now?

I've used heavy racquets (12.5-13 oz.) pretty much forever and those are what I'm comfortable playing with. Strength helps for swinging a heftier frame, but you also need different timing to consistently get the racquet to the hitting zone when the ball shows up - quick feet are a major factor there.

If your Prince feels like an unstable flyswatter when you play with it or you have a good stringjob, but no touch or control with your shots, you could consider a test drive with a heavier frame. Remember though, if you swing that heftier bat with authority, it will really hammer the ball - maybe even more than what you use now. Heavier demos with different amounts of flex should deliver different levels of power and spin to your shots, so keep that in mind if you pick out some different options.

Doc Hollidae
01-31-2008, 09:06 AM
should intermediates play with rackets with a weight heavier than 11.5oz????? cause i'm an intermidiate player who owns a prince O3 white. my coach says i should get a heavier racket cause i'm strong. anyone agree that intermediate who can handle the heft get heavy rackets like the microgel prestige or pure drive roddick?

Play with what you're comfortable with. Just because a player has a high skill level, doesn't necessarily mean they need or have to play with a heavier racket. The captain for my USTA 4.5's team plays with a racket 9 oz. racket while I play with a 12.5+ oz racket. Same goes for head size. Just because you're an advanced player doesn't mean you need a smaller head size.

In short, play with what feels best and gives you the most confidence in your game.

tnkGod4tns
01-31-2008, 09:18 AM
good point, my rule is play with the heaviest racket you can handle and play with the loosest tension you can control, bear in mind that tension goes down a bit after a few session when the tension settles in, this comes with a bit of experimentation, good luck.