PDA

View Full Version : John McCain a Racist

lordmanji
01-31-2008, 08:28 AM
for those of you following the election, i was very disheartened to learn that during his 2000 presidential bid, Sen. McCain unapologetically used the term "Gooks" in reference to Asians and although he later requalified it to mean only his North Vietnamese captors, he would not back down from using the term.

as the below article suggests, if McCain had been captured in Nigeria he wouldnt call his captors "******s." it'd be political suicide and seen as racist. Asians have voting power, too, and political and media influence and should not be taking this lying down.

Here's the link.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article...onicle/archive/2000/02/18/MN32194.DTL

ollinger
01-31-2008, 09:00 AM
Not the most disturbing thing I've ever heard. I think nearly everyone, self included, has some racist impulses at various times, and the important thing is that we should try not to base our actions on them. Typically, McCain did not hem and haw and say "I was misquoted" but rather took credit for what he said. Far less devious than, say, the Clintons dismissing South Carolina as a primary that Jesse Jackson also won (hmmmm, what could they mean?)

TheJRK
01-31-2008, 09:30 AM
Didn't really bother me... and I'm Asian. Little kids say all kinds of mean stuff to each other all through school, by the time you're an adult it (name calling) really shouldn't bother you anymore. I don't think using derogatory terms automatically makes you racist.

Random story time...

I had two Vietnamese friends in High School who were on the volleyball team. On the back of their jerseys they had the name "CHARLIE" printed above their numbers. I was watching one of their games and the dude sitting next to me asked (seriously) "Are those two guys brothers?" I just laughed and said "Uhhh, yeah, they're brothers..."

ATXtennisaddict
01-31-2008, 09:33 AM
I was amused. And I'm Asian.

Dedans Penthouse
01-31-2008, 09:37 AM
Sen. McCain unapologetically used the term "Gooks" in reference to Asians and although he later requalified it to mean only his North Vietnamese captors,I wonder what his (torturing) captors called him?

Whadda think?..Johnny-san? :neutral:

Craig Sheppard
01-31-2008, 10:19 AM
I have to cut the guy some slack for harboring some negative feelings for those who imprisoned and tortured him... How would you react to what he went through? Be honest. I'm not a McCain supporter but he's about as "real" of a political candidate as you're going to get.

Joe Average
01-31-2008, 12:08 PM
Well, it is disappointing. Let's face it. I'd rather he hadn't said and would have preferred that he had apologized. But I'm not going to label him. As Ollinger put it, we all have racist tendencies. It's just another form of xenophobia. When I hear someone declare himself/herself not a racist, it's like hearing someone say "I'm not the jealous type." Or "I'm not impatient." It really depends on the circumstances.

Back in high school, and this was a long time ago, my history teacher brought in one of her former students, who had just returned from a tour in Vietnam. He spoke to us about his experiences, and talked about his training. He used the epithet "gook" several times. And our teacher, to her credit, stopped him and apologized to the class and especially to the Asian-Americans. The soldier was black. He explained that "gook" was the word they used in training. It was "kill the gook" as they stabbed a pig with their bayonets. It was a way of dehumanizing the enemy. The point being, if you see your enemy as a human being, well, you're not a good soldier. That's why war is ugly.

McCain was also the target of a racist attack from the Bush campaign back in 2000. They spread the rumor that he had fathered a black child. Some say this cost him the South Carolina primary.

I'm much less forgiving of Rosie O'Donnell who, a few months ago, said she didn't realize when she used it that "ching chong" was an epithet. I mean, she grew up on Long Island. She didn't know that?

SFrazeur
01-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Well, it is disappointing. Let's face it. I'd rather he hadn't said and would have preferred that he had apologized. But I'm not going to label him. As Ollinger put it, we all have racist tendencies. It's just another form of xenophobia. When I hear someone declare himself/herself not a racist, it's like hearing someone say "I'm not the jealous type." Or "I'm not impatient." It really depends on the circumstances.

Back in high school, and this was a long time ago, my history teacher brought in one of her former students, who had just returned from a tour in Vietnam. He spoke to us about his experiences, and talked about his training. He used the epithet "gook" several times. And our teacher, to her credit, stopped him and apologized to the class and especially to the Asian-Americans. The soldier was black. He explained that "gook" was the word they used in training. It was "kill the gook" as they stabbed a pig with their bayonets. It was a way of dehumanizing the enemy. The point being, if you see your enemy as a human being, well, you're not a good soldier. That's why war is ugly.

McCain was also the target of a racist attack from the Bush campaign back in 2000. They spread the rumor that he had fathered a black child. Some say this cost him the South Carolina primary.

I'm much less forgiving of Rosie O'Donnell who, a few months ago, said she didn't realize when she used it that "ching chong" was an epithet. I mean, she grew up on Long Island. She didn't know that?

It's often easier for some people to plead ignorance rather than apologize. George Allen early on with his "macaca" comments comes to mind as well.

-SF

What a racquet!
01-31-2008, 07:57 PM
How is this racist? It would only offend or rile up people who have a problem with miscegenation, which is probably at least half of the Deep South.

saram
01-31-2008, 08:26 PM
for those of you following the election, i was very disheartened to learn that during his 2000 presidential bid, Sen. McCain unapologetically used the term "Gooks" in reference to Asians and although he later requalified it to mean only his North Vietnamese captors, he would not back down from using the term.

as the below article suggests, if McCain had been captured in Nigeria he wouldnt call his captors "******s." it'd be political suicide and seen as racist. Asians have voting power, too, and political and media influence and should not be taking this lying down.

Here's the link.

A slip of the tongue does not make one racist. I took no offense to this--and my daughter is of Asian heritage....

stormholloway
01-31-2008, 08:54 PM
If you had been a tortured prisoner, I bet the term "gook" is more or less programmed into your brain by the time you get out.

I'm more disturbed by his policies and philosophies personally. Leave it to the P.C. police to distract from the real issues at hand.

quest01
01-31-2008, 10:25 PM
John McCain is an American hero. He was a tortured POW during the Vietnam War. He was almost burned to death inside his jet on an aircraft carrier. (There is a video of this somewhere)

35ft6
01-31-2008, 10:33 PM
Be honest. I'm not a McCain supporter but he's about as "real" of a political candidate as you're going to get.If you're a viable candidate, you're not real. The more real people drop out early, guys like Kucinich and Paul. McCain has sold out more or less, but I'm hoping that like how Bush went way right after election, McCain suddenly starts veering to the middle if he wins. He doesn't scare me as much as the other Republicans. I actually think he might have some soul left he didn't sell to the devil.

BallzofSkill
02-01-2008, 01:15 AM
so if I was bullied by a couple of blacks in my childhood I'm allowed to say I hated those 'n.igg.er.s'?

Phil
02-01-2008, 10:11 AM
John McCain is an American hero. He was a tortured POW during the Vietnam War. He was almost burned to death inside his jet on an aircraft carrier. (There is a video of this somewhere)
Yes, you can see him on the USS Forestal jumping out of his A-4 Skyhawk just before everything goes to hell. However his recent political career is somewhat less than "heroic". He's a Bush sell-out who prostituted himself for Dubya even after Dubya and Rove worked him over during the 2000 primaries.

If anyone wants a very good portrait of the young McCain, read a book called "The Nightengale's Song"-I highly recommend it.

superman1
02-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Not the wisest thing to say in an election, but there's no question that he has to be somewhat racist after being imprisoned and tortured for over HALF A DECADE. I'd be racist too. We're all shaped by our experiences. Unless you're Mahatma Gandhi, you're probably going to look at all of your scars and hold a grudge.

tennispro11
02-02-2008, 06:37 PM

Here's the link.

He was captured. I would like to see what you would have to say about your captors if you were ever released. I am sure you would have plenty of nice things to say about them. Stop being a baby.

T

cghipp
02-02-2008, 06:44 PM
He's a Bush sell-out who prostituted himself for Dubya even after Dubya and Rove worked him over during the 2000 primaries.
That is EXACTLY why I lost all respect for him as a leader/politician.

quicken
02-02-2008, 11:24 PM
I dont care he still is a warmongerer, psh "lets stay in Iraq for 100 years" gimmie a break, where is he going to get the moeny from? China?