PDA

View Full Version : Prince NXG Mid

LanEvo
01-31-2008, 09:33 AM
how does this racquet play? what are some pros and cons?

fuzz nation
01-31-2008, 09:57 AM
I've been a supporter of this one for a while - I haven't seen much love for it on these boards and I think that's understandable; the NXG mid isn't for everyone.

Comparing the spec's on the page at TW with my playing experience with this frame, I can definately say that it plays softer than most, but it also has some significant heft. Mine weighs in around 13.0 oz. with a tiny dampener and an overgrip added so the heft and softness make for a relatively large sweetspot. Contact isn't especially crisp off this frame (some have griped that it plays extremely dead) and I don't look to it as my first choice for volleying, but if you have full strokes on tap, you can really swing away with it from the baseline.

Despite the dense string pattern, I get amazing spin production with this frame - probably due to the combo of flex and balance. It's headlight enough that you can whup it across the ball nicely and I've found success stringing mine with thin syn. gut in the mid to high 50's. I've also used the LM Prestige mid and the NXG mid seems to be a little more civilized alternative, yet still rather demanding.

LanEvo
01-31-2008, 01:48 PM
is it that hard to play with? because i am thinking of getting one of these as my first midsize racquets ever

LanEvo
01-31-2008, 04:44 PM
bump.......

fuzz nation
01-31-2008, 05:15 PM
I'd say it's a rather unconventional player with only moderate power - I'll label it as being rather demanding. I've used the LM Prestige mid and knocked around with the K90 - the NXG is borderline mushy by comparison. I prefer a crisper response up at net and I move forward a lot, so I enjoyed working out with this racquet among a few others, but ultimately settled in recently with the midplus Donnay Pro One and the Yonex RDS 002 Tour. I like the all court response that I get from these racquets.

I'd say that the NXG mid could be fun for a baseline grinder who only goes to net here and there, but the typical touch, feel, and overall sweetness that one might expect in a smaller headed frame isn't the strongest suit for this Prince. Since I had to work harder to hit this frame well, especially when I first got it, I appreciated it as a training racquet that I'd sometimes use in matches.

Cup8489
02-01-2008, 10:24 AM
I use the mid as well, and although it's not terribly crisp, i find i can hit with touch rather easily, especially considering my setup. but it is a heavy racquet with a higher swingweight, so if you're not used to swinging a 12 oz+ racquet, it will take a long time to get used to it. but i found once i settled in, i can play my game with it no problem, and it is a great deal like the LM prestige, just a little less crisp, as i said.

Richie Rich
02-01-2008, 10:37 AM
very low powered and very flexy.

fleetparadox
02-01-2008, 11:06 AM
No offense to those who enjoy this racquet but...

It felt like a dead piece of rubber for me.

The flex was predictably soft, but unlike other sticks it didn't snap back. It had a very muted feel which was comfortable but didn't seem to translate to feel.

If you like a soft flexy frame in the midsize category I would suggest the Volkl mids.

Bud
02-01-2008, 12:15 PM
I also like the NXG Mid.

dabudabuda
02-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Im a fan of the 18x20s, 20mm or less beam, ~12oz, superHL, 93SqIn or less.
First initial hit after using the Prince Diablo Mid for some 2+years...where did the ball go as it sat noticeably longer in the string bed compared to the diablo. But I have since enjoyed the more flexibles frames because there is so much more feedback. First tried about a year ago when I was in search of a softer frame due to a left wrist injury. Initials impressions were that it was a bit similar to the intelligence prestige but definitely more head light. For the price these days, its tough to beat. I think I got mine used(less than one session) on **** for some $42 shipping already included. Fairly low powered and better suited for a more all court game and players who depend upon feel. A unique maybe bit more intimate feeling w/ strings being in direct contact w/ the frame. Does everything well, no real standouts. Did not like the inconsistent feel of the upper hoop though, if I were to hit my slice too high up against pace, the ball would launch long. If you are more a baseliner, then the midplus is better suited as it has a crisper feel.

theone
02-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Yes I would take a look at the midplus as well. I'm hoping to try this one out.

fuzz nation
02-03-2008, 11:22 AM
If you're weighing the up's and down's of the mid vs. the midplus NXG, the spec's on the TW page make them seem a whole lot more similar than they are in reality. The mid feels significantly heftier and softer than the midplus and the mid worked well for me strung in the mid to high 50's while the midplus didn't behave for me until I took the tension up a few lbs. above the max. rec'd range.

I'd say the midplus is sort of a heftier big brother to the Diablo mp, but it is quite headlight, makes just moderate power, and has some super-duper spin potential. Spin and kick serves with the mp are easy to churn out but I found it a bit less eager to hit a penetrating ball or play as stable as I like on returns or with heavy volleying (I've had a long standing predisposition for frames that are just a little heavier than this one). All court control and spin are the stong suits of the mp NXG and I think it's an easy hitter with the right string, but with its narrow beam, power is on the somewhat tame side of the street.

Bud
02-03-2008, 02:46 PM
If you're weighing the up's and down's of the mid vs. the midplus NXG, the spec's on the TW page make them seem a whole lot more similar than they are in reality. The mid feels significantly heftier and softer than the midplus and the mid worked well for me strung in the mid to high 50's while the midplus didn't behave for me until I took the tension up a few lbs. above the max. rec'd range.

I'd say the midplus is sort of a heftier big brother to the Diablo mp, but it is quite headlight, makes just moderate power, and has some super-duper spin potential. Spin and kick serves with the mp are easy to churn out but I found it a bit less eager to hit a penetrating ball or play as stable as I like on returns or with heavy volleying (I've had a long standing predisposition for frames that are just a little heavier than this one). All court control and spin are the stong suits of the mp NXG and I think it's an easy hitter with the right string, but with its narrow beam, power is on the somewhat tame side of the street.

I too like the mid over the mid+. It has a very large sweet spot for a 92 sq. in. stick.