PDA

View Full Version : Anyone swap tensions for Serving/Returning?

01-31-2008, 10:07 AM
Hello,

Just wondering whether anybody swaps rackets (each one with a different tension) depending on whether your serving or returning?

Could you say what tensions you use if you do, do this?

grass_hopper
01-31-2008, 10:20 AM
interesting idea, I used to switch racquets between serving and return on doubles game but not racquets with diferent string tensions.

Doc Hollidae
01-31-2008, 10:35 AM
While it's not illegal as long as it's within the time limit. You'll **** off a lot of players you play against, especially at higher levels.

Personally I think it's a bad idea. Different tensions means adjusting to them as well. Just because I might serve a little harder with a different tensions, isn't worth me adjusting my strokes throughout the match to compensate for the differences in tensions. Plus if you're in a tight match and end up losing, chances are you're going to blame your equipment first, wishing you might have had your return racket for that last rally or your serve racket for that one volley. When in reality, the only person you should be blaming is yourself.

Kirko
01-31-2008, 11:29 AM
Hello,

Just wondering whether anybody swaps rackets (each one with a different tension) depending on whether your serving or returning?

Could you say what tensions you use if you do, do this?

Pancho Gonzales & Dennis Ralston used to do that, but only for a short time.

01-31-2008, 12:11 PM
You'll **** off a lot of players you play against, especially at higher levels.

Surely thats not a bad thing :):)

TsongaBonga
01-31-2008, 03:28 PM
Not worth it mate! You just get stick

Alafter
01-31-2008, 06:53 PM
switch racquets!

Bencia
02-01-2008, 06:16 PM
I did that once when one of my rackets was hitting too hard and my other one too soft. I used the powerful one for serving and weak one for returns. This was a month after I first started playing and I got both of my rackets from t a r g e t so they stunk.

SalParadise17
02-01-2008, 07:26 PM
I did that once when one of my rackets was hitting too hard and my other one too soft. I used the powerful one for serving and weak one for returns. This was a month after I first started playing and I got both of my rackets from t a r g e t so they stunk.

Surely you didn't buy one racket from target, play with it, then decide that you liked it so much you needed another?:confused:

Sal

autumn_leaf
02-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Surely you didn't buy one racket from target, play with it, then decide that you liked it so much you needed another?:confused:

Sal

why not. i mean wasn't the hexagon string pattern sold at kmart orignally and now they're worth like 500 each. if people are trying something new at cheapo places why not buy it at cheapo prices?

i played with some $20 racquets from walmart and stuff. didn't care for them at all. usually wayyy too light and always had a hollow tinny feel to it.