PDA

View Full Version : Need help adjusting ProKennex Ki 15

cloudcover
01-31-2008, 10:53 AM
hi folks -

just getting back into tennis and found this forum, which seems like a terrific resource.

as part of returning to tennis, i need to buy a racquet. i play mainly singles and am usually a baseline player with occasional volleying. i was told that i'm at about a 3.5+ level.

i tried a prince o3 speedport red racquet that my tennis club has, and that lets me swing pretty freely with the ball still staying in. that racquet feels pretty good overall, too, so in hindsight maybe i should have just bought that. but i was experiencing some tennis elbow issues and based on a bunch of online research, i ended up buying the prokennex ki 15 (couldn't demo it first because tw didn't have that in their demo program). well, it feels pretty good overall but i'm having problems with keeping flat(ter) shots in the court -- they end up being long. so i end up swinging softer to keep the ball in the court, which feels wrong and doesn't let me be as aggressive as i'd like. shots with more topspin, by the way, seem okay.

so i'm wondering if there are adjustments that i can make to the ki 15 that will help with this problem...or whether i just need to resell it and get a different racquet. in particular, i'm wondering if relatively simple solutions (lead tape, different string, different tension) might help. right now, i have it strung at 59 pounds with technifibre x-one biphase 17 string.

thanks!
cc

fuzz nation
01-31-2008, 11:10 AM
I can say from my experience with that string that you've got some seriously lively stuff in your racquet. You might want to tone it down by either restringing with the same stuff at a few lbs. higher tension or maybe trying a solid core synthetic gut of the same gauge. It should feel crisp and be moderately lively, but less so than the Biphase. Either route should tilt the scales a bit toward more control for you - just don't string the racquet up so tightly that it starts to feel like a brick on a stick. That's counterproductive.

cloudcover
01-31-2008, 11:59 AM
I can say from my experience with that string that you've got some seriously lively stuff in your racquet. You might want to tone it down by either restringing with the same stuff at a few lbs. higher tension or maybe trying a solid core synthetic gut of the same gauge. It should feel crisp and be moderately lively, but less so than the Biphase. Either route should tilt the scales a bit toward more control for you - just don't string the racquet up so tightly that it starts to feel like a brick on a stick. That's counterproductive.

any recommendations for the "solid core synthetic gut" string or for how much to increase the tension?

NoBadMojo
01-31-2008, 12:23 PM
hi folks -

just getting back into tennis and found this forum, which seems like a terrific resource.

as part of returning to tennis, i need to buy a racquet. i play mainly singles and am usually a baseline player with occasional volleying. i was told that i'm at about a 3.5+ level.

i tried a prince o3 speedport red racquet that my tennis club has, and that lets me swing pretty freely with the ball still staying in. that racquet feels pretty good overall, too, so in hindsight maybe i should have just bought that. but i was experiencing some tennis elbow issues and based on a bunch of online research, i ended up buying the prokennex ki 15 (couldn't demo it first because tw didn't have that in their demo program). well, it feels pretty good overall but i'm having problems with keeping flat(ter) shots in the court -- they end up being long. so i end up swinging softer to keep the ball in the court, which feels wrong and doesn't let me be as aggressive as i'd like. shots with more topspin, by the way, seem okay.

so i'm wondering if there are adjustments that i can make to the ki 15 that will help with this problem...or whether i just need to resell it and get a different racquet. in particular, i'm wondering if relatively simple solutions (lead tape, different string, different tension) might help. right now, i have it strung at 59 pounds with technifibre x-one biphase 17 string.

thanks!
cc

Hi...welcome to the forum. you're a new poster i see. i'm familiar with that racquet. It's blue right? It's a nice racquet for your level of play and shouldnt be so powerful that you couldnt learn to control it. Also that string at that tension is fine and not too lively for most.
You've asnsered your own question....unless your regular ralley ball is already loopy and fully loaded with topspin, I would suggest you just learn how to make that racquet and string work well for you by learning spin for control. if you can swing it, and are serious about the game, i highly suggest you take a lesson from a quality teaching pro. I teach sometimes, and the number one request i get <by far> is 'teach me to hit with topspin'. Your pro may also be able to see if there is something technically you are doing that is causing the TE (best to elimninate the source of the problem). that racquet is also comfortable for it's stiffness but i'm not particular fond of the biphase at tighter tension as that string can feel boardy and uncomfortable. so if you are feeling pain i would look to change strings first and maybe even lower tension. Mojo

Kirko
01-31-2008, 12:23 PM
any recommendations for the "solid core synthetic gut" string or for how much to increase the tension?

wilson extreme or prince syn.gut 16 or 17ga. at 65 lbs.

cloudcover
02-12-2008, 10:46 AM
wilson extreme or prince syn.gut 16 or 17ga. at 65 lbs.

thanks. i happen to have some gosen og sheep micro string (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACGOSEN-OGMS17.html) on hand from when i bought the racquets. would that be suitable? it's not a big deal to buy the stuff your recommended, just wondering if i could use up what i have.

fuzz nation
02-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Hey, sorry for not checking back. That Gosen that you have should work fine and I think you could try it maybe only two lbs. higher in tension than your last setup - much higher would probably be a drastic change. Even if you keep the same tension for the different string, it will give you a reference and you'll know if you want that to be restrung softer or more firm down the road. Given the headsize of your PK, that string should tone it down a little, but if you go really tight, it could start to feel harsh and clunky.