PDA

View Full Version : Kneissl Black Star

Stan
01-31-2008, 11:26 AM
I have searched and located a few comments about the performance of this stick. Was curious to see if there are any others who can add their impressions? I am curious to know if the swingweight could possibly be higher than the POGOS when the racquet is an ounce lighter. Can anyone who has used it draw any comparison to the POGOS or the Warrior OS?

I read in another thread about a customizable butt cap. Does it come with three variable butt caps from TW?

What about power/control. Please share any thoughts on this. I have never hit with an 18 main OS racquet before. The flex is low and I am curious to know if this baby has any oomph and if so, how much? Is it easily controlled? How precise? Any experience shared is appreciated.

TIA!

haerdalis
01-31-2008, 03:38 PM
I play with this racquet. I ordered one from TW and that one didnt have 3 different buttcaps but the ones I ordered from the manufacturer had that. The racquet I ordered from TW has a sw of 333 and is 6 points HL at 317 g strung.
I think it may vary a bit from racquet to racquet. I found the racquet a little light so I play with the heavier buttcap which adds 10 g to the racquet. I also put some head tape on the racquet to get the weight just over 330 g. As it is it play very nice with very good grip on the ball.
Control is perhaps not as good as with the original pog os but it has more comfort to me and I like the extra length and also the head shape.
Still I find it has very good control for its headsize.

Stan
01-31-2008, 07:24 PM
TY for the info. I have not seen this stick in person. Is it possible to comment on the following?

1. Is the grip long enough to accommodate 2 hands? Photos make it look short.

2. Can you characterize the build quality?

haerdalis
01-31-2008, 10:56 PM
The grip could be longer. It is not short but not as long as some 27.5 inch racquets.
I think the quality of the build of this racquet is excellent (obviously I like it since I use it).
The flex is very noticeable with this racquet but it still feels quite stable.

Laker
02-01-2008, 12:39 AM
I have two of them and totally agree on what haerdalis said.
Very good control for such a big headsize and excellent quality of finishing not the mention that they perfectly match in weight.
I play one-hand backhand so the grip is not an issue for me.

Stan
02-02-2008, 12:01 PM
What about the grip shape on these puppies? Round or squared off? What brand are they most similar to?

cadfael_tex
02-21-2008, 05:42 PM
What about the grip shape on these puppies? Round or squared off? What brand are they most similar to?

would be interested in the answer to this question to. Any further play comments on them?

Stan
02-21-2008, 06:21 PM
I have been playtesting and found the grip shape is similar to Head, perhaps not quite as squared off, but very similar.

MrBluefin
02-21-2008, 07:03 PM
I've just sent back the Red Star demo to TW. The grip is more of a rectangular style. I felt it was just a bit more square than the Head grip shape, but very similar. Also note, the Kneissl racquet handle is the frame, meaning, there is no pallets or shaped foam. The grip is wrapped on a shaped carbon/fiberglass extension of the throat, so make sure you get the right size as it won't be easy to decrease grip size. I found size to run just a bit small, the stock 3/8 grip + overgrip came out to be exactly 3/8. Fit & Finish on the racquet I had was excellent, a very nice looking and feeling stick.

retrowagen
02-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Is there some indication on these new generation Kneissls where they are made?

Stan
02-22-2008, 02:52 AM
The current Kneissl that I have is made in China.

cadfael_tex
02-23-2008, 08:38 AM
I might have to look into it. I've got Slazenger Pro X1's right now but if I can't swing 12+oz when I get cleared to play after surgery I will take a look.

One concern is the racquets volley performance. Specs don't look bad nor great for the touch potential. Any comments?

Have a soft spot in my heart (head?) for kneissl - the White Star Pro Masters was my favorite racquet of all time to play with.

Stan
03-07-2008, 09:58 PM
I bought the Black Star on a whim, thinking it would be back on the classifieds in no time, but I absolutely have fallen in lust with the stick. Specs are just about perfect for me. The volleys are controlled with much more pop than I expected. Flexy stick that provides a solid overall feel on virtually all shots. I am pleasantly surprised with the volleys I am hitting. This is one seriously underrated/underappreciated racquet. Fine with me. All the better if my opponents don't know about it. :-)