PDA

View Full Version : Pure drive, too stiff for me?

Tenny
12-16-2004, 10:06 PM
Hi,

I had a chance to hit with a pure drive. Spin generation was very good (Slice was great). Especially serving was sweet. But compared to my Prostaff6.0, it felt much stiffer and I ended up feeling a little bit of pain in my wrist and, to less extent, in my elbow. Sting tension was about 60LB (not sure) with a synthetic gut string and overall it felt as if I was hitting with a brick. Ample power but it isn't what I need. Maybe I should try lower tension or different strings? TW reviewers said it felts 'soft' and solid. Solid, yes but soft? No. Maybe the stringbed is supposed to be so... Its flexiblity is 70 while prostaff6.0 95's is 67. Why do they feel so differently? Any suggestion?

T.

TennisMD
12-17-2004, 07:14 AM
I hit with the Bab PD+ in the past and bring it out again and did so recently. Strung with gut at 57 lbs and modified so still head light but weighs 12.1 oz it did not feel harsh. However I have had elbow problems in the past and I read reports such as yours and therfore I am leary of this racquet as I play often and do not want to experience thatinto my 3rd week of playing 3x a week for 2hrs a session that I now have elbow pain so for those of you who have modified yor Bab and use arm friendly string I would be interested in your thoughts

Tenny
12-17-2004, 09:13 AM
Yeah, since many pros play this stick (or are they using customized PD?), there must be a way to deal with the stiffness. Is Kim C. having wrist problem due to her PD?

barry
12-17-2004, 09:43 AM
I use the knock off version Wilson Surge and string mine at 52 pounds 17 gauge Poly mains with synthetic gut crosses. Type of String and Stringing have more to do with stiffness than the racket frame. I tested about 12 rackets before selecting this one and have to say it is less stiff than any of the new Head's or Prince mid rackets.
One other recommendation is to put a leather grip on, it really improves the feel and adds some weight.

Tenny
12-17-2004, 11:24 AM
I use the knock off version Wilson Surge and string mine at 52 pounds 17 gauge Poly mains with synthetic gut crosses. Type of String and Stringing have more to do with stiffness than the racket frame. I tested about 12 rackets before selecting this one and have to say it is less stiff than any of the new Head's or Prince mid rackets.
One other recommendation is to put a leather grip on, it really improves the feel and adds some weight.

Barry, how did PD and Surge compare? Have you tried Shark prince too? As the surge was the wilson's answer to the PD, is the shark prince's answer?

T.

kreative
12-17-2004, 01:00 PM

Barry, how did PD and Surge compare? Have you tried Shark prince too? As the surge was the wilson's answer to the PD, is the shark prince's answer?

T.

i feel that the shark is prince's competitor to the pure drive. all 3 play w/ somewhat similar characteristics, but also different.

the pure drive has a unique feel, some say due to the woofer grommets. the woofer grommets on the pd also give it more pop than the others, which is why most using it string it on the higher end (or even over) the recommended tension. the shark also has alot of pop, but has a more muted feel to it. it feels softer, but also solid on impact, perhaps b/c it has more weight in the head to offer stability. it does swing a bit heavier thou. only have limited time w/ the surge, but it felt alright, most say it's a pd w/o woofers, which allows you to string it lower for comfort, and not trampoline as much as the pd. the surge also has pws at the 3 and 9 which could help w/ stability of the frame. one thing is that the surge has such horrendous cosmetics. i'm actually interested in trying out the npro surge, but specs seem a bit lighter and wider than i would like.

barry
12-17-2004, 02:50 PM
Tenny

I think Kreative review is correct concerning the Surge. Never tested the Prince Shark, it was not out at the time. A picture of the new Ncode Surge was on an earlier post at http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/viewtopic.php?t=26206. Cosmetics look improved. I am looking forward to testing the new one, but will probably stay with the Surge 5.1 for a while.
Prior to the Surge, I played 4 years with the Ti.Radical mid, and loved the racket. Tried both the LM Radical and LM Prestige and both were junk compared to the Ti.Radical. Also tested the Prince Diablo and the NXG mid, both were way to stiff. Also went through the Wilson Tour 95 and old 6.1, which were hard on the shoulder and arm.
The 18 x 20-string pattern Head uses, played flat. The Surge has a 16 x 19 pattern, which is open and has more pop.

dennis1188
12-17-2004, 05:43 PM
With my experience from having arm and wrist problems due to the stiff PD frame (70 rating) , I agree with the above negative comments on this racket.
However, I'm still expecting a huge 'wave' of excitement early next year when the Aeropro drive enters the USA market. This racket has a higher stiffness rating (72). What would the logic be in the production of a racket with this high a stiffness rating?

Trey
12-17-2004, 07:17 PM
. only have limited time w/ the surge, but it felt alright, most say it's a pd w/o woofers, which allows you to string it lower for comfort, and not trampoline as much as the pd. the surge also has pws at the 3 and 9 which could help w/ stability of the frame. one thing is that the surge has such horrendous cosmetics. i'm actually interested in trying out the npro surge, but specs seem a bit lighter and wider than i would like.

Hey don't be puttin da hate on the clown cosemtics. I like it when people ask if I am using a junior racquet 8)

NSurge specs are basically the same as the 5.1 except it is 10.8 oz
Given that I added about 30 grams of weight to the surge getting a lighter racquet is not very appealing. The npro on the otherhand looks a lot more interesting.

Tenny
12-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the surge is kinda 'cute'? It looks crazy on screen but actual thing turned out to be much likeable (To me). Well, I wonder if there is anyway to tame the stiffness of PD. Probably lower tension or soft string... Thanks guys!

Tenny

Deuce
12-17-2004, 09:49 PM
The Pure Drive is too stiff for everyone - even if some don't yet realize it.

ucd_ace
12-17-2004, 11:29 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the surge is kinda 'cute'? It looks crazy on screen...

That's got to be the biggest reason I haven't hit with it... lol

newbie123
12-18-2004, 09:57 AM
Tenny, did you try the standard or the plus? I played with both the plus and the standard and thought the plus felt much better, probably due to the high swingweight. The standard is stiff, and light, and did not feel good on mishits. The plus feels very solid, but it is still a little stiff. Good on pretty much everything besides flatter shots and its stiffness.

Tenny
12-18-2004, 11:59 AM
Tenny, did you try the standard or the plus? I played with both the plus and the standard and thought the plus felt much better, probably due to the high swingweight. The standard is stiff, and light, and did not feel good on @#$%. The plus feels very solid, but it is still a little stiff. Good on pretty much everything besides flatter shots and its stiffness.

Newbie123,

How's your racquet quest going? Radical? Ti classic? Or prestige (I've Just got a head classic Mid)? I am in now Wilson world (PS6.0 95). I don't play anything longer than 27. It was standard. It seemed the ball jumped from the stringbed faster, the frame was solid. Cometics is beautiful (I think that's one of the best parts of PD). Serving was good. I wish it's more flexible. Gonna try a little bit more. It's for fun and curiosity.

BTW, how does the PURE CONTROL STANDARD play? Is it less powerful and more flexible? More control intended than Pure drive?

Tenny.

newbie123
12-18-2004, 12:07 PM
Hey Tenny,
Im still using my Radical tour twin tube MP. None of the racquets I've demoed so far feels as sweet as this one. Im gonna stick with this racquet, or find something similar if I cant find another one. Its very flexible and solid. Sry I havent played with the Pure Control Standard before. However, I've heard that the Pure Storm Team is a good racquet. My friend demoed it and he said he liked it a lot. It also has a flex of 64 so you might wanna check that out.

Hyperstate
12-19-2004, 01:08 PM
Do consider/demo the ProKennex Ionic Ki 5 or 5X (the 27.5" version). Tried the 5X today. Serves as well as the PD+, less stiff and the kinetic technology REALLY works... your elbow WILL thank you for it! Prefer it over the PD+ and nCode 95...

Tenny
12-22-2004, 10:11 AM
Hey Tenny,
Im still using my Radical tour twin tube MP. None of the racquets I've demoed so far feels as sweet as this one. Im gonna stick with this racquet, or find something similar if I cant find another one. Its very flexible and solid. Sry I havent played with the Pure Control Standard before. However, I've heard that the Pure Storm Team is a good racquet. My friend demoed it and he said he liked it a lot. It also has a flex of 64 so you might wanna check that out.

Thanks guys for the input.

I guess I try it a little bit more (lower string tension first). BTW, newbie123, do you mean 'Zebra' twin tube? With yellow color on the top of the frame? Do you think it's better than Ti radical. I kinda graduated from Ti radical OS but still like its feel. People say original twin tube was the best...

T.

newbie123
12-22-2004, 10:19 AM
uhh its not the zebra one, its the one with red, yellow, grey, and black. I do like it better than the Ti.Radical. More control, better feel, more stability, and yet it has very good power.

robstar
12-22-2004, 10:25 AM
Tenny i'm the one who sold you the racquet, although i never played with it at stock weight. I think you would like a softer poly at 55-57, that worked for me. try gosen polyon comfort, or ashway monogut, or the tournapoly those are nice.

rob

Tenny
12-22-2004, 12:34 PM
Tenny i'm the one who sold you the racquet, although i never played with it at stock weight. I think you would like a softer poly at 55-57, that worked for me. try gosen polyon comfort, or ashway monogut, or the tournapoly those are nice.

rob

robstar,

I don't recall any purchase of Ti Rad OS from you? But thanks for the advice. I was going to add a little bit of weght to make it 12oz+ as the first experiment. Still I think Ti radical is very good (at least better than i Rad IMO).

And newbie123. Which came out first? Zebra one or your yellow, grey, black, red one?

Tenny.

robstar
12-22-2004, 12:47 PM
no, no tenny i'm the one who sent you the pure drive, we just transacted through my brothers email account.
sorry for the confusion, i think you'd like that string/tension combo

rob

Tenny
12-22-2004, 01:12 PM
no, no tenny i'm the one who sent you the pure drive, we just transacted through my brothers email account.
sorry for the confusion, i think you'd like that string/tension combo

rob

A-ha! I see. I just fixed the reference (added 'robstar') I left for you. Still confused with 'Kle- vs. Keif-'. :D
Alright, I will remember and try those combo someday (I have too many racquets already). I think since many pros are using it without problem, finding out a right string/tension must be crucial. Thanks for the advice.

Tenny.

PS) I love the cosmetics of PD. How do you like the RD-7?

robstar
12-22-2004, 01:55 PM
ah tenny, thanks i love the rd-7, it's the best. although, i don't really know if i can keep em, cuzz i need a bunch of them and they're very hard to find, but thanks for asking

rob

robstar
12-22-2004, 01:57 PM
by the way, i'm kleeman my half-brother is kiefer, i hope that clears up the confusion, i was just using his account, he's a member on hear as well. i'm rob and he's robbie

Tenny
12-22-2004, 04:35 PM
ah tenny, thanks i love the rd-7, it's the best. although, i don't really know if i can keep em, cuzz i need a bunch of them and they're very hard to find, but thanks for asking

rob

Have you tried www.stringsbyharry.com? You might find RD-7 in good from. Harry seems to be a good dealer too. And thanks for the clarification.

T.

Stormwolf
12-25-2004, 04:15 PM
Pure Drive = Too Stiff - period.

RedGinseng
12-26-2004, 02:34 AM
I'm using the prostaff 6.0 95 and I never understood the hype around the PD. Finally and accidentally I gave it a try and I gotta say that it is a solid racquet even though it lacks some feel compared to conventional player's racquets. it didn't feel that stiff to me (it was strung at about 45 or 47 with Alu Power on a CP machine. maybe that's the reason why I didn't feel any stiffness) so I suggest to you that you lower tension a little bit then give it a try again.