PDA

View Full Version : Getting my first car pretty soon

mhstennis100
01-31-2008, 03:05 PM
Yea I'll be turning 16 in a few months and my parents are buying a third car for the family. They don't want to spend more than 17 grand for a new car or truck, so I can't get anything to great. We looked at Fords first, and the lowest end F-150 was barely in our budget, so that's what I'm hoping to get. What kind of cars do you teenagers or younger adults drive? And what seems to be driven a lot? Around here, F-150s, tahoes, lexus cars and suvs, and that kind of stuff are pretty common.

StealthGnome
01-31-2008, 03:49 PM
Why do you need a truck? Sedans or coupes are the way to go.

mhstennis100
01-31-2008, 04:44 PM
Why do I need a sedan? A truck would be cooler. Anyways, since it would be the family's car (but mine to drive most of the time), my dad would use it to haul the ATV when we go hunting.

yodudedudeyo
01-31-2008, 04:57 PM
sedans get better gas mileage. if you need something with the power to haul a trailer or atv you could get a jeep wrangler. nice teenager car, and riding with the top down in the summer is sweeeeet.

LuckyR
01-31-2008, 04:57 PM
Yea I'll be turning 16 in a few months and my parents are buying a third car for the family. They don't want to spend more than 17 grand for a new car or truck, so I can't get anything to great. We looked at Fords first, and the lowest end F-150 was barely in our budget, so that's what I'm hoping to get. What kind of cars do you teenagers or younger adults drive? And what seems to be driven a lot? Around here, F-150s, tahoes, lexus cars and suvs, and that kind of stuff are pretty common.

http://autotrader.autos.msn.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=236451728&dealer_id=611682&car_year=1999&make_desc=Porsche&browse_path=cars&search_type=used&distance=100&model_desc=Boxster&address=15222&cardist=17

HeadPrestige
01-31-2008, 05:01 PM
i drive a 02 Lincoln LS v8 and love everything about it... besides the horrible gas mileage.

Freedom
01-31-2008, 05:07 PM
Most teenagers I know (myself included) drive hand-me-downs or buy used cars...

redsoxrock930
01-31-2008, 05:50 PM
damn man, most 16 year olds i know don't own cars, and i know when i turn 16 the only car i'll be driving is my 94 subaru, best car ever.

mhstennis100
01-31-2008, 05:57 PM
Well my parents will probably be paying for gas if they get the truck since it won't have as good an mpg. They're also looking at the Ford Fusion. I don't know to much about it.

Another thing, what colors do you think look best. I'm thinking black for an F-150.

cadfael_tex
01-31-2008, 06:13 PM
Mini Cooper
<<<<<

punch
01-31-2008, 06:20 PM
Man, buying a 10,000+ $ car and the parents paying for gas.

You must be pretty fortunate, or pretty spoiled.

Hewitt Aussie
01-31-2008, 06:20 PM
Why ware you getting a crappy american Ford? Get a Nissan or a Japaese made car. Ford cars have crappy quality. You Should get a Toyota Tundra. Those are very nice trucks. But yeah, ford lost 21 Billion dollars last year because they suck.

mhstennis100
01-31-2008, 06:26 PM
My dad didn't like the Tundra so he won't buy it. We usually get Japanese cars (Hondas mostly) but this time he wants Ford. And yea, I was really surprised he decided on new car. He told me a few months earlier I wasn't even getting a car at all. Then he changed his mind to 4-8 grand used car. And now new car. Maybe it will escalate to Aston Martin or something.

StealthGnome
01-31-2008, 06:28 PM
Is it for him or you? Do you seriously need a car? $20k is a lot of money. More then a whole years rent.

mhstennis100
01-31-2008, 06:30 PM
Do I need it? Probably not, but hey, he's the one earning the money, he can spend it on a new car if he wants. More power to him.

rommil
01-31-2008, 09:38 PM
The VW Golf GTI are very fun car to drive and good for the price.

Hot Sauce
01-31-2008, 09:40 PM
Just make sure you don't do what I did and drive it into space.

iradical18
01-31-2008, 09:42 PM
You can get a very nice brand new car for 17k. I'd get a small sedan with good gas mileage.

Deuce
01-31-2008, 09:58 PM
Why do I need a sedan? A truck would be cooler. Anyways, since it would be the family's car (but mine to drive most of the time), my dad would use it to haul the ATV when we go hunting.
If winning 'coolness' points with your vehicle is a factor, then you're obviously too immature to drive on roads that are populated by others.

Sneaking up on and killing defenseless animals with your father ... well... let's just say that's rather revealing. In a negative sense.
You're obviously not the type of people who live off the land (as is proven with the 3 vehicles).

Vermillion
01-31-2008, 10:01 PM
ambushing teenaged kids on an internet forum is pretty damn scary too. Give him a break.

Deuce
01-31-2008, 10:25 PM
ambushing teenaged kids on an internet forum is pretty damn scary too. Give him a break.
Are you serious?

How is he going to learn anything if no-one questions what he's doing?

CanadianChic
01-31-2008, 10:39 PM

For a first car, I would go with a Kia. I like them...they are small, safe and nice looking, as well as easy on the gas. Why get a truck and spend so much more to move it around? My opinion. Get whatever makes you feel good and safe - remember, safety is key.

origmarm
01-31-2008, 11:43 PM
Strangely I am somewhat with Deuce on this one. Mate you need to think about what you're doing if its your choice. I suspect however you will end up with whatever your dad wants to get to be honest.

If you really do have a choice, get yourself a smallish japanese sedan with good gas mileage. You won't have to sacrifice performance too much either. Why? You will probably keep this car for a while if its new, which means that when its yours and you are in college/first job you are not going to want the high gas mileage, the lack of reliability, the high service and parts charges couple with low intervals from Ford and you can live safe in the knowledge that you are not contributing to killing the planet too much.

At the end of the day gas is not going to get cheaper, your government's tax position towards gas and trucks at the moment is cheap for the consumer but that's not going to last. They are closing the loophole that allows small trucks and SUVs to be taxed as cars for one. Once the gas prices start to really bite (consider they are $8 a barrel and rising over here in UK), you will not regret your choice. Currently good strategic reserve use and a decent buffer is helping, again that won't last. The tax situation for gas is not sustainable long term, especially once those cleanup bills start to come through. On a more macro scale, think about where the supplies are (Middle East, S.America, Russia), where the demand is growing (China, India..) and these countries' respective attitudes to the US in general. Its a matter of time before supply and demand come together and either push the US to the margin of the market or (more likely) prices over $10 a gallon. Markets are today pricing this in within 5yrs on Nymex.

That and trucks generally drive horribly, sporty sedans are more fun. You can have performance and good economy too. Currently I have a Golf R32, 28MPG (combined) and if you can drive, you can make a Porsche eat your dust. Compare that to 13MPG (combined) on an F150...just a thought. Hell even a decently specced Civic is more fun to drive

Hot Sauce
02-01-2008, 01:46 AM
If winning 'coolness' points with your vehicle is a factor, then you're obviously too immature to drive on roads that are populated by others.

Sneaking up on and killing defenseless animals with your father ... well... let's just say that's rather revealing. In a negative sense.
You're obviously not the type of people who live off the land (as is proven with the 3 vehicles).

Not judgemental at all.

origmarm
02-01-2008, 03:27 AM
Not judgemental at all.

Yeah this is the bit I'm not so hot on :)

mhstennis100
02-01-2008, 03:45 AM

What's wrong with hunting geese? They taste good and it's not like we're out there shooting them by the hundreds. To tell you the truth I'm a terrible shot and having shot anything in my whole life. However, it's fun to just make loud noises sometimes.

Mr. Blond
02-01-2008, 04:22 AM
I vote for the small sedan also.....lets leave a bit of a planet for our children. You many not feel this way now, but cool doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Don't be a typical American and go for the big behemoth of a vehicle if you don't need it. I hate seeing these tiny women driving Yukons and Escalades cuz they saw them on cribs and that is what defines cool to them. It is such a waste in both resources and money.

just my 2 cents

cghipp
02-01-2008, 04:33 AM
Definitely get the F-150 - if you want to spend $800 on a new heater, $250 a pop on replacement power window motors (twice in 60k miles), and every other little thing that could possibly go wrong. Ford is great for helping you figure out how to spend your money... Hope it doesn't go up in flames in your garage and burn your house down, by the way!

And as a bonus, they're pretty poor in a crash, and more likely to spin out in wet weather than a sedan, so it's a great choice for a teenage boy with sky-high insurance rates and no driving experience!

Seriously, I am amazed at the judgment of parents who let their kids drive cars like this.

PROTENNIS63
02-01-2008, 05:12 AM
If you want a truck, ge the Toyota Tacoma. http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/index.html

Starts at $15,000 and better than Ford.

ATXtennisaddict
02-01-2008, 05:16 AM
I say get a used truck. I'll never buy new again.

Craig Sheppard
02-01-2008, 05:26 AM
If you want a truck, ge the Toyota Tacoma. http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/index.html

Starts at $15,000 and better than Ford.

BINGO. If you're dead set on a truck, at least get a Tacoma. And unless you're snowed in 1/2 the year, don't waste money on 4WD. A 2 door, 2WD Tacoma can almost get 30 mpg on the highway. If you haven't caught on yet, smart people care about gas mileage. Like was said before, it's idiots who watch Cribs and think Escalades are "like, totally cool" that are ruining the planet for everyone else. Don't be that guy, be smarter than that guy.

Personally, the best thing you could do for a first car is to get a fuel efficient, safe, small car. They are cheap to operate, easy to maintain, and will last a long time. Plus, how are you going to feel when you have that brand new, super awesome new car, and you scratch it up? When you back into a pole? When somebody scrapes your door or hits your bumper? No so cool. And repairs are freakin expensive. And don't fool yourself, everyone gets those scraps, dents, and dings. My first car had tons, just like almost everyone else's.

To mhstennis, part of me wants to jump on your dad in the first place for wanting to buy a new car for a new driver... but I'll get off that horse since everyone is different. If I were a dad, I'd try to find a decently safe, cheap used car.

What's wrong with hunting geese? They taste good and it's not like we're out there shooting them by the hundreds. To tell you the truth I'm a terrible shot and having shot anything in my whole life. However, it's fun to just make loud noises sometimes.

mhstennis... nothing's wrong with hunting geese. Some people are for it, some people are against it and sportsmen will just have to live with it. I like going to the gun range for target shooting. Some people are for that, some people are against it, even down here in the South. It's part of the cost of liking the sport, you have to defend it to some people.

P.S. I sold my last car (luxury sedan) for a Golf TDI that gets 40+ mpg. It's the best car I've ever had. 2+ years now, I still love driving it.

Vermillion
02-01-2008, 05:32 AM
Are you serious?

How is he going to learn anything if no-one questions what he's doing?

He can learn through his own experiences. That, to me, is the best learning process. Any parents want to agree with me on this? Thanks.

psYcon
02-01-2008, 05:34 AM
Fords suck. period.

tacoben
02-01-2008, 05:52 AM
Fords suck. period.

Their trucks aren't bad. But the FORD cars usually end up...."Found On the Road Dead"

tfm1973
02-01-2008, 05:52 AM
it's nice that your parents are able to and want to give you a brand new car. and i know they do it out of love. but in my experience - nothing is truly yours unless you earn it. someday you will buy your first car with your own money and pay for your own gas and pay for your own insurance and i'd wager that car will have more meaning for you.

having said that - i say get a $5K to $7K used car or truck and have your parents put aside the $10K for college.

PROTENNIS63
02-01-2008, 07:04 AM
If you really want a fuel efficient car (not truck) get the Toyota Prius hybrid. Excellent car. It gets 46 miles on a gallon on average. It is a little more pricey though. So there is the Toyota Yaris Sedan which gets 34 miles on the highway and starts at a little more than $12,000.

Like I said in my previous post, if you want a truck get the Toyota Tacoma. Fuel efficient, Japanese car, won't break down like a Ford and actually has a nice interior. There you go, 3 excellent choices.

HeadPrestige
02-01-2008, 10:03 AM
for that price i would look at a honda civic coupe. very nice looking cars, reliable and incredible gas mileage.

mhstennis100
02-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. My dad has come to the new option of keeping the truck for himself and giving me his Lexus RX300, which I would be more than happy to take off his hands. It's about 8 years old and I like it alot. And it's not a behemoth of a vehicle which some of you are so worried about.

On the topic of fuel inefficient cars, I really don't think one truck or whatever will do that much damage compared to the refineries in my back yard (I live in Houston and Pasadena is about 20 minutes away).

cghipp
02-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Umm... Why do you think those refineries are IN your back yard? To service our big-*** trucks and SUVs, of course.