PDA

View Full Version : Speedport Tour Set Ups?

kissmyace
01-31-2008, 11:56 PM
Can people share their findings when setting this racquet up in different ways with the grommet set. Full grommet, hybrid and no grommet. What kind of change up in playing style are you getting and how different is the weight?

kissmyace
02-01-2008, 07:54 AM
No love for this racquet!!?

Nellie
02-01-2008, 08:39 AM
I cannot stand the string hole ports - actually the racquet feels great when you play with it but it makes the most aweful pinging sound that I could not keep them in. With the string holes, it strinks the sweetspot, but feels like a regular racquet.

Some have really liked a combo - port holes for the main and string holes for the crosses.

Also - note that the port holes/ string holes are not easily exchanged. They are stiff and get a little banged up in the exchange and eventually start to tear. I am sure Prince would send me some new ones, but now, its not worth the effort of calling.

I feel no difference in weight. The port holes give more top spin/ string movement.

TravelinMan
02-01-2008, 08:54 AM
I use the Port grommets in both of my Tours, never liked the feel of the String hole grommet. I've used a full poly setup at 58lbs (Proline 2) and was able to generate considerable spin. Recently experimenting with some multi's and am getting more feel, control, and power. Rely surprised how much I like the multi over the poly. Lost a bit of spin but not an issue since I have a good slice BH and hit a flat FH. I go back and forth between the Tour and the Black. This week, the Black is playing better. :)

AlpineCadet
02-01-2008, 02:18 PM
***I heard that some pros use half and half.*** String Port and Hole Port on either side. But the thing with this setup is that they always hit their forehands on the same side of the racket (they never twirl the racket around or randomly use one side of the face.) Not sure which you would prefer, but you can expect to feel a soft impact, with a crisp finish. Thank me later, and you didn't hear this from me. Kidding. :)