PDA

View Full Version : Best Current Series of Racquets?

TripleB
12-17-2004, 04:56 AM
IYO: Which current series of racquets is the best?

Yonex RDX (500 Mid, 500 HD Midplus, 500 Midplus, 300)

Wilson nCode (n Six-One Tour 90, nSix-One 95, nSix-One 95 18x20, n1, n3, n5, n6)

Volkl V-Engines (VE Tour 10 Mid, VE Tour 10 Midplus, VE Tour 9 18x20, VE Tour 9 16x19, VE Tour Eight)

Pro Kennex Ionic (KI 15, KI 15 PSE, Ki 20, Ki 5, Ki 5x, Ki 5 PSE)

Head LiquidMetal (LM Prestige, LM Radical, LM Instinct, LM 2, LM 4, LM 5, LM 8, LM Fire)

Fischer Pro (Number One, Number One FT, Pro Tour Extreme FT, Pro Impact FT)

Dunlop G (200, 200XL, 300, 400, 600, 700, 800, 900

Babolat Control (Control Team, Control Team Plus, Control Zylon, Control Zylon Plus, Control MP, Control MP Plus)

Babolat Drive (Drive Team, Drive Team Plus, Drive Zylon, Drive Zylon Plus, Drive Z)

I'm hoping for me that it's the RDX series from Yonex. :D Getting ready to order some demos and I'm getting the RDX 500 Mid, RDX 500 Midplus, RDX 500 HD Midplus, and the Babolat Pure Control.

TripleB

ferrari_827
12-17-2004, 06:17 AM
TripleB, in the time you spent posting about all these demo rackets, you could have demoed the entire selection at TW. And it's unlikely people have played with all these rackets to make a comparison.

There's a good chance you will like one of the RDX500 models. Actually, I'm sort of interested in the HD Midplus version, it may play like an improved RDTi70 long.

equinox
12-17-2004, 06:38 AM
I haven't hit with most of those racquets listed.

I've hit with the Yonex RDX series 500 HD. It felt stable and very controllable from baseline. Like most yonex, it will only give as much power as you put into it. If you generate your own power it would be fine racquet.

Babolat Pure Drive std :) My former racquet of choice. It offers great power without much effort required. Very good spin potential. It has little "feel" on volleys. It's too stiff and you're likely to suffer arm or shoulder injuries. I consider PD a bad racquet unless you're stupid junior wanting to look cool.

Btw, have you tried the POG OS? ;)

It's very comfortable racquet and generates enormous amounts of spin. My order of POG OS's arrives 23rd december. I look forward to greeting santa (fedex guy) with cookies. :)

TripleB
12-17-2004, 06:40 AM
Posting is a lot cheaper :D

I know that people probably haven't played with many of these racquets (through playtesting I've probably played with more of them than most), but I was just curious in people's thoughts on the better line of 'newer' racquets.

I'm looking forward to demoing the HD as well. Chris/TW seems to highly recommend it.

TripleB

TennisMD
12-17-2004, 08:05 AM
I have played with
a)current stick N Code 6.1 95 very decent all around one critique is occassionally feels like it has a hot spot. weighs 12.5 0z strung with natural gut. I always wonder as noBadmojo stated in picking a racquetfor mortals 4.0 to 4.5 go with 98 or above head size look a Aggassi, Roddick,Moya,Chang, Spadea and almost all of the women and be honest guys middle aged 4.0 would be eaten alive by these women. So I always wonder am I handicapping myself just to say I hit with a small head size. That being said My hiting patrner last night stated that my power and consistancy with the N Code and the Bab PD+ was similar.
b)The Radical LM OS great on ground strokes. STrung at the top of the recommended lbs good control. Even though the TW crew gave it an 85 on volleys not as good as the N code nor did it serve as well but good serves were generated.
c)The Bab PD+ I win alot with this as my serve is my big weapon. Despite comments on ridiculous power if your technique is good and you employ spin the ball stays in but just gets by your opponent alot easier than other sticks. Volleys are not bad. I agree with one of the TW reviewers in that if you do not hit acrisp sroke the ball feels like it hit a dead spot and dribbles off yuour racquet into the net, so a bit negative on touch. So if your game is big sreve big gound stokes, this is your racquet.

ollinger
12-17-2004, 08:15 AM
I think tennisMD is absolutely right -- unless you are an exceptional player, and perhaps even if you are, larger head racquets will improve the game of most players. Virtually no top female players use a 90 inch frame, and you can be sure your game more closely resembles theirs than Federer's.
________
Headshops (http://headshop.net/)

kentuckytennisdude
12-17-2004, 09:01 AM
Dunlop G :D

chicubs
12-17-2004, 11:41 AM
RDXs are the best overall frames followed by the fischers, imo because they have amazing feel even better than the yonex. You should really try out the Pro 1 again.

moosryan
12-17-2004, 11:56 AM
i'd say having hit with them all, liquidmetal has the most to offer.

mackadilly
12-17-2004, 12:37 PM
try the yonex rdx300 for those that are on the players/tweener fence.

mary fierce
12-17-2004, 04:42 PM
Why would someone think in terms of "best" for categories that are merely a matter of individual preference? Isn't this like asking which is best, red, green or blue?

BreakPoint
12-17-2004, 05:38 PM
Why would someone think in terms of "best" for categories that are merely a matter of individual preference? Isn't this like asking which is best, red, green or blue?

It looks like Benjamin has ALL the colors covered. LOL. :lol: :wink:

monologuist
12-17-2004, 06:07 PM
I haven't hit any wilson ncodes, but from my experience demoing amongst the other mentioned lines, I'm inclined to say that almost all of them are inferior to previous lines by the same companies...Babolat may be an exception, as not much has changed for a while with their racquets.....am I alone on this one?

dennis1188
12-17-2004, 06:50 PM
Tour 10 v engine MP w/ laser supreme 17g, IMO is best, since my last wood racket in the mid 80's.

TripleB
12-18-2004, 07:25 AM
Mary,

Neither red, blue, nor green....ORANGE is the best color!!!

But along the same lines as your question...why would anyone ask any question about any racquet (relative to how it plays, how it feels, is it good for spin, is it solid, etc.) since the racquet someone likes is a matter of personal preference...this would seem to make most of the questions on this board deemed unnecessary!

TripleB

adnankujundzic
01-16-2005, 12:40 AM
But along the same lines as your question...why would anyone ask any question about any racquet (relative to how it plays, how it feels, is it good for spin, is it solid, etc.) since the racquet someone likes is a matter of personal preference...this would seem to make most of the questions on this board deemed unnecessary!

Those types of questions are relatively pointless, because, as mary fierce pointed out, it is all matter of preference. I don't understand how can anyone like PD or nSix-One - they have so much power, so little control. But that is only my opinion. Someone would be foolish to never try these racquets just because someone on these forums told them not to. And since we all participate in these forums without ever disclosing a lot of information about us, we never learn each other's preferences, likes/dislikes.