PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using the RDX500 midplus HD version ?

ferrari_827
12-17-2004, 06:22 AM
I'm quite interested in this version especially since noone has talked about it, but the TW review mentioned it had more control than the regular midplus, and of course has more power than the midsize.

I'm speculating (or rather hoping) that the HD midplus may play like an improved version of the RDTi70 long which was a fantastic racket. Maybe this is the holy grail (!)

I like the RDX design so much I wouldn't mind getting another model. This Yonexitis is incurable.

TripleB
12-17-2004, 06:37 AM
ferrari_827,

I'll try to give you a report on the HD racquet as soon as I can. I just placed my demo order for: RDX-500 HD Midplus, RDX-500 Midplus, RDX-500 Mid, and Babolat Pure Control Team.

I'm not doing a playtester review on them but I'll try and remember to put up some feedback once I've tried them out for several days.

TripleB

ferrari_827
12-17-2004, 06:57 AM
You better give some feedback after all the advice people have given you or else (!). Just kidding.

Alley Cat
12-17-2004, 07:00 AM
I had a chance to hit with all of the RDX sticks during the past several weeks. The HD, as expected, seemed to have a slightly better feel and more control than the 16x19. On the flip side, the open pattern frame gave me a bit more kick on the serve and some additional spin ability. It was a close call, but I liked the HD better for my game (but I gravitate toward 18x20 anyway as I hit a pretty flat ball). The mid had an unbelievable combination of power, control and feel and was one of the best racquets that I have hit with this year. Only problem was my return of serve with the two-hander, my strength usually, was not as good. Trade-offs as is always the case. Bottom line is that I liked all of the frames, but if I had to choose it would probably be the HD miplus for my game (4.0-4.5, all court, 2HBH, flat hitter.) I hope that helps a bit.

alfa164164
12-17-2004, 07:09 AM
I think the HD is the best version of the 3.
Both MPs are more playable and powerful than the Mid.
The HD has better control and weighs 10 grams more than the regular MP. The reg. MP did have better spin, but was too light.

ferrari_827
12-17-2004, 07:15 AM
Uh-oh I think I'm going to have to order the HD version soon.

Like Alleycat, I hit with flatter groundstrokes/slice so the HD version would be better for me. I think the color scheme is a little different on the sides, but the same basic dark navy blue.

TripleB
12-17-2004, 07:36 AM
I'm the opposite. I'm a heavy topspin/slice player looking to hit the ball more flat and try to use more power (as well as control) to beat my opponents instead of hitting heavy topspin stroke after stroke until I get a short ball. The higher up (in level) I go, the fewer short balls I get. Better add some offense to my game huh?

Uh, the HD might be the racquet for me too. ferrari_827...you better not order the last 4 5/8"!!! :D

TripleB

ferrari_827
12-17-2004, 07:42 AM
I just checked the specs and actually, the HD version has the highest swingweight of all three models so alfa is probably correct that it is 10grams heavier than the regular midplus. The extra weight from the strings 18x20 vs. 16x19 maybe makes a very small difference as well.

It's still a nice 18mm near the handle/throat then tapers out to 21mm at the top of the hoop for power. The sides are yellow/gold instead of red, but still looks great.

ferrari_827
12-17-2004, 08:03 AM
Mojo is probably going to go crazy but at least we're not talking about the *mid* any more, but the HD.

andfor
12-17-2004, 08:39 AM
I play with the MP and choose it over the HD. The main reason for me is I play with heavy spin. However If I had to I could play with the HD and see how it would of course benefit a flatter ball striker.

FYI. I am a 4.5 aggressive all-court player. I have added 2 grams to the hoop at 3 & 9 and 2g's under the handle of my sticks.

I also have Yonexitis! I dream of the day when I add a HD and Mid to my stable of 3 MP's. Thank God I am the only one I know who plays Yonex and knows the secret of these racquets in my area.

ollinger
12-17-2004, 08:58 AM
Don't know if you guys read anything other than your abundant posts, but I recommend "The DaVinci Code," one message of which is that The Holy Grail is not an implement but rather a person and that person's gifts and abilities. Seems relevant, doesn't it?
________
Marijuana in the central valley (http://www.dispensaries.org/)

ferrari_827
12-17-2004, 09:02 AM
It's funny, when I first brought my new unstrung RDX500mid to the tennis shop for stringing, the stringer stared at the racket in curiosity (perhaps amazement) and asked, "what racket is that ?". Oh, "just another Yonex, I replied".

I guess there's a part of me that likes things that are different from the mold, and I haven't seen anyone use a Yonex at the tennis facility I play.

Most importantly, though, I just feel the quality, feel, and performance of Yonex in general is great.

andfor
12-19-2004, 08:00 PM
Don't know if you guys read anything other than your abundant posts, but I recommend "The DaVinci Code," one message of which is that The Holy Grail is not an implement but rather a person and that person's gifts and abilities. Seems relevant, doesn't it?

Whatever.............you obviously have never played with a Yonex!