PDA

View Full Version : PS 6.0 -95" versus Donnay Pro 1

fleetparadox
02-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has tried both these racquets and could give me some insight on how they differ.

I currently play with the PS 6.0 -95" and love the heft and stability especially since it has such a low swing-weight.

Wilson Prostaff 6.0 -95"
and
Donnay Pro 1 International

Thanks so much.

stevewcosta
02-01-2008, 10:36 AM
I use the Donnay and have owned the 6.0 95. I hated the dead hoop of the 6.0. The Donnay is better for serving. Maybe I had my 6.0s strung too high, but I never could click with them. I also thought the 6.0 swingweight was too low. I think the Donnay is the best rac out there (esp. for the price).

PS: I love the 6.0 85. It's just too small for me so I compromised with the Donnay.

HeadPrestige
02-01-2008, 12:02 PM
i did not like the donnay that much. When i was buying my rackets i was in the same situation as you.. either the donnay or the 6.0. Upon demoing both, i found that the donnay did not fit my game as well. It is not nearly as solid feeling as the 6.0, and also the sweet spot is a littel higher up in the stringbed then on the 6.0.

I would demo both if you can, because while the specs are somewhat similar, they play very differently. They are both good rackets, but the donnay just did not fit my game.

the Town Sherif
02-01-2008, 12:33 PM
i've played with both recently and favor the donnay over the 6.0.

The donnay is more forgiving and more solid especially in the upper hoop. The 95 was also harder to serve with.

They both volley well.

BreakPoint
02-01-2008, 12:41 PM
The biggest difference I find between the two is on volleys. The PS 6.0 95 volleys better because it has a stiffer throat. The Donnay is very flexible so hard hit shots at the net tend to flex the throat a bit too much on volleys so I don't get the same punch.

However, the Donnay also has a sweet, old-school feel as does the PS. The upper hoop on the Donnay is not as dead as on the PS. The Donnay swings a bit heavier as it's not as headlight as the PS. I can serve bombs with both of them. The PS might be a hair better on slices. I find plenty of power for me from either racquet but still I would classify both as low-powered compared to most modern racquets today.

Both are really awesome, great racquets, and have a much better feel to them than most of the new racquets today. I think another racquet that shares some similarities with the Donnay is the Tecnifibre TF-320/335.

I hope this helps.

vkartikv
02-01-2008, 01:45 PM
You are right about the flexy throats. Almost all fischers and yonex mids share this attribute which is why I stay away from them. The redondo MP had the same problem. The Dunlop 200s are very similar to the prostaffs in this regard but the 18x20 pattern doesn't help in getting that extra depth.

fleetparadox
02-01-2008, 08:42 PM
There's alot of talk about the upper hoops differences and the flex of the throat.

What do you guys think is the better racquet for an aggressive baseliner who hits extremely flat off both wings??

I liked the notion of a higher sweetspot (my previous racquet was the Diablo Mid - really huge sweetspot for a 93")

sunflowerhx
02-02-2008, 02:41 AM
I hated the dead hoop of the 6.0.

I agree, later Wilson produced the perfect racket in the form of the HPS 6.0.
I love that racket - shame I discovered it too late.

Also have the Donnay Pro One as my backup.

The big difference between the 6.0 and Pro One is that the Pro One is available and cheap at that!