PDA

View Full Version : How young are we?

Tenny
12-17-2004, 10:31 AM
Just curious. How young are you and have long have you been playing?

I am 35 yr YOUNG and have been playing for 2.5 years.

T.

Ooops, 70 and above is gone (By accident). It was
<70 and above, I am a god> Sorry folks in that group. How can I fix a poll? :(

PusherMan
12-17-2004, 12:15 PM
Will be cool to see how the poll takes shape.

27 here. Been playing for about 16 years. Semi-regular 4.5-5.0 Southern Cali tournament player.

Brettolius
12-17-2004, 12:25 PM
25 here. been playing for 3 years. played and excelled in the other sports growing up, and very sorry i missed out on tennis then, because now it's by far my favorite.

Tenny
12-17-2004, 12:27 PM
25 here. been playing for 3 years. played and excelled in the other sports growing up, and very sorry i missed out on tennis then, because now it's by far my favorite.

Brettolius, What else sports have you tried? And why is tennis your favorite BY FAR now? And which sport experience helped you tennis most?

Tenny.

Brettolius
12-17-2004, 01:29 PM
soccer from a young age, baseball, football,basketball. i was a pitcher and shortstop in baseball and i would say by far that has helped my tennis, as far as my service motion being real smooth and getting effortless power on it, plus setting people up in a similar fashion as a pitcher, regarding pitch versus serve selection. i still play soccer and that certainly helps with my fitness and footwork, but i think the kinetic chain is now sort of naturally ingrained by the constant drilling in baseball, and all the studying i did of a sound pitching motion. i also played quarterback through high school, and i threw on the run alot so that helped my balance and technique as far a loading and whipping a running forhand. i always kind of liked tennis but never took it up, just hit a few times with my parents, but i don't know specifically what it is that draws me to it. its like hitting a baseball is fun,and for alot of folks, that's the highlight of playing hardball. same with tennis, except you get to hit it time and time again, and i also love the fact that you can manipulate the ball with spins and different touches and techniques. to me its sorta zen-like. sorry for ramble

tennisboy87
12-17-2004, 01:31 PM
I'm 17. Been playing since I was 5. I am a sectionally ranked junior (MO Valley section).

thejackal
12-17-2004, 04:56 PM
Im 15, playing for 2 summers seriously.

thejerk
12-17-2004, 06:11 PM
jackal, does it leave a skid mark?

Tenny
12-17-2004, 08:22 PM
I'm 17. Been playing since I was 6. I am a top 25 sectionally ranked junior (MO Valley section).

C'mon, where are all the 30s?

Uh, tennisboy87, then your 87 means you were born in 1987? Same with Sharapova and Kirilenko. Maybe you will make a breakthrough soon. BTW, I went to college in 1987... :shock:

Trey
12-17-2004, 08:49 PM
C'mon, where are all the 30s?

*raises hand*

I played a lot as a teenager. I am sure there were several summers I was playing >20 hours/week. I never played competitively just among family and friends. I mostly did track and cross country in high school as far as team sports.

I took a huge break for about 15 years and started up again about a couple years ago. At first just once a week again with friends. I decided to get serious in the last year playing leagues/ladders/tourneys.

tykrum
12-17-2004, 09:28 PM
I am 20, higher level 4.5, been playing for 8.5 years. I took up tennis initially because I really liked sports in elementary school, but I just wasn't as good at football and basketball as all my friends. None of them played tennis though, so it was a sport that I could be the best at in my grade. Kinda funny to think of that now, I think tennis has made me a much better athlete though over the years. Now I try to play as many sports as I can, and I am better at football than most of them are now. I think that might be because I have developed softer hands due to playing tennis.

Deuce
12-17-2004, 10:58 PM
"How can I fix a poll?"

Don't you mean "How can I fix a Pole?"
I saw this one once in a joke book. But I forget the punch line.

So, ok - I give up. How can you fix a Pole?

(Late 30s. Been playing for - WOW - most of my existence. 24 years.)

tennisboy87
12-18-2004, 11:30 AM
Tenny,

Yeah, I was born in 1987. I don't think I'll be playing on the pro tour anytime soon, but I am going to be playing Div 1 tennis as soon as I can decide on a school. College sure is a hard decision.

Tenny
12-18-2004, 01:10 PM
"How can I fix a poll?"

Don't you mean "How can I fix a Pole?"
I saw this one once in a joke book. But I forget the punch line.

So, ok - I give up. How can you fix a Pole?

(Late 30s. Been playing for - WOW - most of my existence. 24 years.)

Deuce, fellow 30s-er,
I cannot fix even a poll so no idea how to fix a pole... :(
Erm, well, as you can see, there isn't an option for 70 and above. I meant to put one (70s and above: I am a god) option for those time-tested warriors but I must have made a mistake while I was starting this thread. I couldn't figure out how to edit this poll (how to add that missing option). My apology to them.

Also, good luck to you in 2005, Tennisboy87!

Tenny.
:D

tennismx
12-18-2004, 05:39 PM
Tenny,

Yeah, I was born in 1987. I don't think I'll be playing on the pro tour anytime soon, but I am going to probably be playing Div 1 tennis as soon as I can decide on a school. College sure is a hard decision.

I was born in 1987 too! I've played for a few years and now I'm on the girls tennis team at my high school.

Camilio Pascual
12-21-2004, 04:44 AM
I'm 54 and have been playing for 48 years. Started July 2, 1956.

Trey
12-21-2004, 05:23 AM
I'm 54 and have been playing for 48 years. Started July 2, 1956.
you remember the exact day you started playing tennis? Must have been a pretty memorable day! 8)

Camilio Pascual
12-21-2004, 07:40 AM
It was my sixth birthday and my Grandpa, a tennis coach, gave me a racquet & took me out onto the courts.

andfor
12-21-2004, 08:20 AM
39 years old.

28 years.

Tenny
12-22-2004, 10:53 AM
It was my sixth birthday and my Grandpa, a tennis coach, gave me a racquet & took me out onto the courts.

That's so sweet!