PDA

View Full Version : Head Microgel Prestige Pro advice and some questions

Bartimeus
02-02-2008, 06:12 AM
I've received my couple of Prestige Pro I'd like to give a couple of advice about this racquet regarding handle that's very short so if you have a 2HBH it could be difficult to grip the racquet with both hands. Then I have a couple of questions in comparison to the MP version. If someone has hit with both can tell me if there's some diffcerence in head shape? The Pro is 31,5 cm but low SW and the MP is 31 cm and SW a little higher (according to TW) which of the two feels more headlight? Thanks

strife726
02-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Are the handles shorter then the Flexpoints? I use the fxp prestige midplus and didn't notice too much of an issue on 2H backhands.

VolleyofAngels
02-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Hey Strife, I just bought the new Prestige microgel Pro to replace my Prestige FXP and the handles on the new one are noticeably shorter. It doesn't bother my 2 handed but my friend with a slightly larger hands can't play with it.

Anton
02-04-2008, 09:03 PM
I've received my couple of Prestige Pro I'd like to give a couple of advice about this racquet regarding handle that's very short so if you have a 2HBH it could be difficult to grip the racquet with both hands. Then I have a couple of questions in comparison to the MP version. If someone has hit with both can tell me if there's some diffcerence in head shape? The Pro is 31,5 cm but low SW and the MP is 31 cm and SW a little higher (according to TW) which of the two feels more headlight? Thanks

My 2hbh has no problem finding the real estate on the grip - the proper way to grip is one hand against the other anyway, so if you don't have enough space there is something wrong with your hands not the racket.

Head shape is exactly the same.

My Pro is a bit heavier (12.2oz VS. 11.9) and a point or two less headlight, so even though the swing weight is slightly lower on TW frame my Pro still swings heavier to me.

Anyway, both are good frames with PRO having a bit of an edge as it is more versatile IMO.

okdude1992
02-04-2008, 09:07 PM
the shorter handle didn't bother me on my 2HBH, but there was something noticeable wrong with my backhand, however I played so good with this racket a few BH errors were no problem. Im switching!!!

Blade0324
02-05-2008, 07:39 AM
I also have the MGPP and noticed that something didnt' feel quite right with my 2HBH initially then when putting new overgrips on this one and by LM Prestige I noticed that that the grip was shorter. I actually hold my top hand a bit away from my bottom hand on the 2HBH so I started playing around with where I needed to hold it to feel right. then I ended up taking an unused piece of overgrip and wrapping the top of the handle above the pallet about 1 1/2 width of a Yonnex overgrip. Then when I wrap the normal overgrip I go farther up the top of the handle, almost to where the handle splits into the throat. This gave me more real estate to grip and I can tell by feel exactly where I need to hold the racquet to be in the best place to hit my shot.

strife726
02-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Wow, thanks for the info!! I was really interesting in trying the pro, but I wouldn't want a racket with a handle shorter then my flexpoint prestige.

The racket is still 27" long right? So did they just increase the length of the throat? I'm not sure why they changed the grip length, but it's a disappointment.

strife726
02-06-2008, 03:08 AM
By the way, a quick question also for those who switched from past models (flex point/liquid metal). Did you find the grip size (not length) ran bigger or the same? I heard from some the grips in the same size feel bigger then past models, but from others heard its the same.

Bartimeus
02-06-2008, 08:23 AM
By the way, a quick question also for those who switched from past models (flex point/liquid metal). Did you find the grip size (not length) ran bigger or the same? I heard from some the grips in the same size feel bigger then past models, but from others heard its the same.

The handle pallet size is the same it's only the grip that runs an hair bigger

VolleyofAngels
02-07-2008, 07:03 AM
Actually I just switched the pallets from my old Prestiges and put them on the Prestige Pro. I found that the grips are different, both in size and shape. The the previous prestiges used the TK57 pallets which give it that rectangular shape that I'm so used to. The new ones use the TK85 or maybe it was TK87 at any rate, it is completely different. So if you're gonna try the racquet - I suppose getting it 1 size smaller would be a good idea. Between the increased size and shape - it's too much to get used to if you're a fan of the prior Head Handles.

strife726
02-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks a lot for the info Volley. I Really want to demo this racket, but wouldn't to be stuck with a bigger grip then i'm use too. I currently use the flexpoint pres midplus with a 4 1/2 grip. Would dropping down one grip size for the pro be the same size as my 4 1/2? I just don't want to go with the 4 1/2 size on the pro if it will feel bigger. Any help would be great, thanks.

VolleyofAngels
02-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Hey Strife, I don't know what to tell you because my biggest problem was the difference in the shape of the grips. The 4 1/2 is NOT WAY bigger, but as the other guy said, just a hair bigger. I haven't had a chance to actually feel the 4-3/8 so I can't really say whether or not that would be more fitting. So if I were you (and actually this is what I did) I would demo the racquet in a 4-1/2...better to be just a tiny bit larger than much smaller. You'll be able to get a feel of how the racquet hits and feels. After that, should you decide to buy it, then you can worry about other aspects of the grip. But I think a good point of reference would be to start with 4-1/2. You never know, you might end up liking the new shape. Anyway good luck. If you decide to buy it, let me know and maybe by then I can share with you some other things I will have tried. If you happen to be in the Tampa, Fl area then you're more than welcome to try mine out. :)

Just so you know, I'm certainly no expert on the topic - it's just that I'm sorta super crazy and picky about my grip for some reason. Like even if my overgrip is wrapped ever so slightly different it'll make me go insane... so to each his own I suppose - good luck.

okdude1992
02-07-2008, 09:01 PM
i used the 4 1/2 and it felt comparable to the flexpoint prestige...The shape of the handle did seem slightly different. I think it might be just a bit bigger