PDA

View Full Version : 1 piece stringing vs. 2.

msasaki
12-17-2004, 01:06 PM
I just bought a racquet at TW and it used a single piece string job. I'm just wondering if this is normal and why 1 piece is used instead of 2 piece.

No criticizm or anything, just curiosity.

TW Staff
12-17-2004, 01:43 PM
Depending on the manufacturer recommended string pattern, racquets will bring strung one piece or two piece. For instance, almost all Wilson racquets use a one piece pattern.
Which racquet did you purchase?

Chris, TW.

msasaki
12-17-2004, 02:13 PM
It is a Surge-X. I notice from the Wilson site that they have directions for both 1 and 2 piece stringing.

Smashlob
12-21-2004, 12:10 PM
For almost every Wilson raquet, both are listed as acceptable.

And well, 1 piece is faster.

hummer23
12-21-2004, 04:38 PM
thats not neccesarily true. its less knots, but its a pain to pull all that string through the mains and crosses. like 25 feet worth on one end. not fun to work with all that string. 2 peice is less complicated and faster IMO.

Gaines Hillix
12-24-2004, 06:40 AM
Most manufacturers install grommets in their racquets that allow 1 or 2 pieces of string to be used. It is perfectly all right to do it either way on these. Some racquets call for a 2 piece pattern because the mains end at the throat, but these can also be done 1 piece using an ATW pattern. Babolat has made some frames that call for a 1 piece pattern and the grommets aren't made for the extra knots required in a 2 piece job, but even these can be done 2 piece if you use an awl to enlarge a couple of the other grommets. Many stringers think a 1 piece job is cleaner looking(fewer knots) and there is less measuring and string cutting required. It also requires a couple of feet less string(this can add up over 100's of frames).