PDA

View Full Version : New Strategy for Volkl Player Frames Dept.

louis netman
02-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Guess they're letting their recreational frames run wild against the big boys…
And in the player frame market, seems they're going back to the "feel" that made them who they are as a high-quality, niche manufacturer. All this without spending megabucks.

New product line:

C10 Pro with new graphics
Introduction of a new 102 sq in C10 with same graphite/Kevlar lay-up. Slightly stiffer hoop and less SW than 98."

Re-introduction of Tour 10 Gen 1 (with new graphics)
Introduction of Tour 10 Gen 1 "light."

Re-introduction of V-engine frames (with new graphics and less fiberglass in lay-up for maintenance of original Volkl "feel")

Availability of factory handle pallets in Std. Volkl/Head (rectangular), Wilson, Prince, & Dunlop shapes.

Availability of factory-trimmed, P-rap grommet sets for all frames including C10.

Chosen grommet set and pallet installed upon order placement.

Boy was that a great dream!

vkartikv
02-02-2008, 10:18 AM
And in the player frame market, seems they're going back to the "feel" that made them who they are as a high-quality, niche manufacturer. All this without spending megabucks.

New product line:

Introduction of a new 102 sq in C10 with same graphite/Kevlar lay-up. Slightly stiffer hoop and less SW than 98."

Re-introduction of V-engine frames (with new graphics and less fiberglass in lay-up for maintenance of original Volkl "feel")

Availability of factory handle pallets in Std. Volkl/Head (rectangular), Wilson, Prince, & Dunlop shapes.

Availability of factory-trimmed, P-rap grommet sets for all frames including C10.

Shhh.. I'm still asleep. Please do not disturb...

matchmaker
02-02-2008, 12:26 PM
A great dream it was.

Becker decides to drop his plans to absorb the Volkl fanatics into his brand

The 10- line is reborn

Volkls would be available in almost any decent tennis shop

Volkl haters would shut up

No more tennis elbows

Dream on

Chauvalito
02-02-2008, 12:27 PM
I thought you were serious for a couple seconds...shiza

NoBadMojo
02-02-2008, 12:30 PM

New product line:

I've brought up some of those things to them...they do care, but they arent going to give an abnormal amount of attention to the advanced players racquets as the market is elsewhere more <except on the TW forum>

Some comments:

-Volkl does have 4 different handle pallets. The two standard ones are on the reg Volkl and a diff one on the Beckers. The other two are quite a bit more square. It is an easy matter to change the grip shape of any Volkl frame to any shape one wishes whilst perfectly preserving the bevels using the standard pallets. One would think that if this was so important, people would just do this instead of complaining about the gripshape all the time. (which lots of players love)

-The dnx9 is just such a frame. A racquet with a softer v shape and no fiberglass

-I did suggest 2 sets of bumper/grommets w. select frames as a result of my bumper trimming of the Gen1. They dont wish to complicate things (and rightly so). I believe Wilson tried this with a couple of their frames some while ago..they dont do it anymore, so message in there I think. Also, this would only work with certain types of racquets (ones which werent already significantly headlight).
I've come to the conclusion that you can accomplish the same thing as we did by trimming grommets by starting out with a lighter frame which isnt so headlight and sticking some lead on the grip collar cuff.
Additionally <for me>, i've found the lead to not detract from the ball feel as much if it isnt concentrated in specific areas above the balance point <like 3 and 9>, but instead spread out over the hoop somehow.
I've got the Becker11Lights swinging at around 315 and they do have similarities to the Gen1 that way....a thin beamed racqquet which isnt so flexy and with good feel....lower powered but has that snealy power of the Gen1...but a little lighter

In my little world, I had the revelation that it's time for me to abandon those flexy heavier frames unless I wish to compromise my play. I play a high batspeed sort of game. So I've now abandoned the b11 regulars and am playing the b11Lights with the lead, volkl calfskin, and the Mojo setup and they perform well and there is good ball feel. i will try the BeckerPro of course as that swings in stock form at 310 or so. (one is on the way)

TsongaBonga
02-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Wow...... Where do u get ure info from? Sounds wicked!

NoBadMojo
02-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Wow...... Where do u get ure info from? Sounds wicked!

I'm Boris Becker.....shhhhh...dont tell anyone please ;)

Chauvalito
02-02-2008, 01:15 PM
I've brought up some of those things to them...they do care, but they arent going to give an abnormal amount of attention to the advanced players racquets as the market is elsewhere more <except on the TW forum>

Some comments:

-Volkl does have 4 different handle pallets. The two standard ones are on the reg Volkl and a diff one on the Beckers. The other two are quite a bit more square. It is an easy matter to change the grip shape of any Volkl frame to any shape one wishes whilst perfectly preserving the bevels using the standard pallets. One would think that if this was so important, people would just do this instead of complaining about the gripshape all the time. (which lots of players love)

-The dnx9 is just such a frame. A racquet with a softer v shape and no fiberglass

-I did suggest 2 sets of bumper/grommets w. select frames as a result of my bumper trimming of the Gen1. They dont wish to complicate things (and rightly so). I believe Wilson tried this with a couple of their frames some while ago..they dont do it anymore, so message in there I think. Also, this would only work with certain types of racquets (ones which werent already significantly headlight).
I've come to the conclusion that you can accomplish the same thing as we did by trimming grommets by starting out with a lighter frame which isnt so headlight and sticking some lead on the grip collar cuff.
Additionally <for me>, i've found the lead to not detract from the ball feel as much if it isnt concentrated in specific areas above the balance point <like 3 and 9>, but instead spread out over the hoop somehow.
I've got the Becker11Lights swinging at around 315 and they do have similarities to the Gen1 that way....a thin beamed racqquet which isnt so flexy and with good feel....lower powered but has that snealy power of the Gen1...but a little lighter

In my little world, I had the revelation that it's time for me to abandon those flexy heavier frames unless I wish to compromise my play. I play a high batspeed sort of game. So I've now abandoned the b11 regulars and am playing the b11Lights with the lead, volkl calfskin, and the Mojo setup and they perform well and there is good ball feel. i will try the BeckerPro of course as that swings in stock form at 310 or so. (one is on the way)

Are Becker handle pallets interchangeable with Volkl pallets?

NoBadMojo
02-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Are Becker handle pallets interchangeable with Volkl pallets?

They are. There really isnt a large difference in those two.

[d]ragon
02-02-2008, 01:53 PM
I'm Boris Becker.....shhhhh...dont tell anyone please ;)

can i have your autograph?:)

louis netman
02-02-2008, 04:28 PM
I believe Wilson tried this with a couple of their frames some while ago..they dont do it anymore, so message in there I think. Also, this would only work with certain types of racquets (ones which werent already significantly headlight).

Good points NBMJ, but I wish Volkl would stop using Wilson as a reference in their planning.
I think that the Volkl 10 series user is much more discriminating. As I see it, serious Volklites are prepared to make adjustments to their gear, however, even obsessed tech-heads like me don't enjoy trimming those grommets, nor do we enjoy precision cutting 3/32" balsa wood and gluing it on the pallets. Serious players typically have multiple frames and all this amounts to some serious time spent modding frames. I certainly don't have that kind of time anymore! In reference to acquiring a lighter, more evenly-balanced frame and tweaking with lead (which I've done in countless experiments and am currenly using), some (most) players just don't like messing with lead either... Make all this low-cost, plastic, made in China stuff available and players may gravitate toward these great frames without fuss...

NoBadMojo
02-03-2008, 06:04 AM
Good points NBMJ, but I wish Volkl would stop using Wilson as a reference in their planning.
I think that the Volkl 10 series user is much more discriminating. As I see it, serious Volklites are prepared to make adjustments to their gear, however, even obsessed tech-heads like me don't enjoy trimming those grommets, nor do we enjoy precision cutting 3/32" balsa wood and gluing it on the pallets. Serious players typically have multiple frames and all this amounts to some serious time spent modding frames. I certainly don't have that kind of time anymore! In reference to acquiring a lighter, more evenly-balanced frame and tweaking with lead (which I've done in countless experiments and am currenly using), some (most) players just don't like messing with lead either... Make all this low-cost, plastic, made in China stuff available and players may gravitate toward these great frames without fuss...

Volkl wasnt referencing the Wilson, I was. i dont work for Volkl. A person doesnt need balsa wood to change the grip shape of Volkls, and if you know what you are doing it's about a 15 minute job.

louis netman
02-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Volkl wasnt referencing the Wilson, I was. i dont work for Volkl. A person doesnt need balsa wood to change the grip shape of Volkls, and if you know what you are doing it's about a 15 minute job.

Guess I like to use balsa to control for weight as I already have enough down there (leather plus butt expansion). I had alot of practice and have my balsa job down to around 10 minutes (in fact my bevel strips are already pre-cut from 10x15 sheets)... my ex doubles partner saw me doing this and thought I was completely nuts and my girlfriend thinks I have some form of Autism...Still think that customizers are in the minority...

NoBadMojo
02-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Guess I like to use balsa to control for weight as I already have enough down there (leather plus butt expansion). I had alot of practice and have my balsa job down to around 10 minutes (in fact my bevel strips are already pre-cut from 10x15 sheets)... my ex doubles partner saw me doing this and thought I was completely nuts and my girlfriend thinks I have some form of Autism...Still think that customizers are in the minority...

lol..i agree. customizers are in the minority and thats a reason why they dont ship frames with two different grommet kits and offer diff shaped pallets to everyone.

i am very fanatical about my gear too...my racquets even have up and down sides to them and i refuse to use a racquet that doesnt have a fischer vibrastop installed

dabudabuda
02-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Could anybody that has both versions of the Volkl Vengine 10mid(93sqin) post pictures of each so that it would help distinguish the old from the new. Or if you have one version post a closeup or two and maybe somebody else could post the other version. I am quite interested in trying both models but have no idea how to tell them apart. I think I would be more interested in the version that has a higher % of graphite.