PDA

View Full Version : How would a top ranked high school player do.

chrisab508
03-22-2004, 03:41 AM
How would a very high ranked high school player (that will get recruited on scholariship to a university) or even a top ranked college player do against one of the pros in the ATP tour? think they could win a game? a point?

Max G.
03-22-2004, 04:23 PM
Probably points and games. Probably not sets.

Phil
03-22-2004, 04:24 PM
Probably not even games.

Max G.
03-22-2004, 04:35 PM
I guess it depends on what type of good HS player, and which pro. And what kind of a day the Pro is having.

Yeah, maybe not games. But maybe.

...also depends what is meant by ATP pro. 500th ranked or 5th ranked?

Ash Doyle
03-22-2004, 05:07 PM
I don't think a top ranked high school player could take a game off of a ATP player....even one ranked 500th. Unless you're Rafael Nadal, no, I don't think even a single game is going to be possible.

PFurlong
03-22-2004, 05:48 PM
Top players that age are no longer in high school. Like Brendan Evans. I doubt they could take very many points off any pros.

Joe Average
03-22-2004, 06:24 PM
Depends on the player. Depends on the pro. There are lots of pros who scrape by. We just don't see them on ESPN. I remember watching some fellow at my local tennis club, whom I was told was a ranked ATP player. I asked his name ... and the only answer I got was "Igor." Except it's pronounced EYE-gore. Didn't find out anything more about him. He was good. But he wasn't out of this world. Also, I remember reading reports of Pete Sampras, during his one year of unofficial retirement, spending time playing against members of UCLA men's team. These reports appeared on the old TW board. And, according to them, Pete didn't fare so well. Granted, he probably wasn't playing too hard. But who's to say ... "Okay, this is for real"?

Joe Average
03-23-2004, 09:12 AM
Oh yeah. Alex Kim, who is a kind of local hero around here (the DC area), has been doing pretty well on the tour. Because he is local, we kind of consider him not far removed from high school/college. He went on to Stanford, where, in his senior year, was the NCAA's #1 singles player. I believe he, in his senior year, played Agassi in the US Open. He lost. But went out something like 6-4, 6-2, 6-0. I would imagine he would have fared better against just about anyone else.

@wright
03-23-2004, 09:26 AM
I think anyone can improve with time. With time, a top-ranked HS player, would do better and better against a touring pro, but in the first match, he'd get his ***** handed to him, maybe 0 and 0.

LMW
03-24-2004, 11:33 PM
A topped ranked male high school player would have difficulty taking a game from the 200th ranked female pro.

amarone
03-27-2004, 02:52 AM
A topped ranked male high school player would have difficulty taking a game from the 200th ranked female pro.
Our local high school 2 singles player played a female pro ranked about 250. He lost, but only by one service break in each set. Now this was only a practice game, but I find it hard to believe that she could have blanked him in a serious game.

baseliner
03-30-2004, 12:44 PM
Believe LMW off base. Top-ranked High school age male (ie one who will receive scholarship from Division 1 school would beat #200 pro on WTA tour. Remember the Mother's Day massacre when a 65 year old huckster beat #1 ranked woman in the world.. These HS players are good. Good enough to beat #200 WTA pro.

wildmoose31
03-30-2004, 05:29 PM
Unless im mistaken, by you saying a "top ranked HS player who would recieve a full scholarship", he wouldnt be the top HS player in the country, just because he's going to college. Wouldnt the top few HS players be playing Professionally in some way instead of college? or do all of the top US HS players go to college? I always thought it was the first, though feel free to correct me if im wrong.

Poot
04-10-2004, 08:09 PM
Brendan Evans is actually very mediocre. He never has accomplished anything in 18s, has gotten all his ATP points off WCs, and basically is a poor example. However a few guys who I'm sure play in HS, like the top couple from FL and CA have in the past EARNED ATP points in Futures. And on any given day, a guy in Futures can take a set off any pro if they're playing well and the higher ranked guy's a little off. Now if you're saying top HS player like "#4 in ohio" or something, he could play a guy ranked like 1000 and lose 2 and 2, and probably win a game or two off a top 100 guy depending on the situation. However, said pro ranked 1000-beats any woman pro-every match- easily. Basically any HS star, top couple in state, could beat women in the top 100. So why watch women's tennis? Do you watch NCAA matches, oh wait they aren't on.

zenmaster
04-12-2004, 05:56 PM
Women serve too slow, i know of a 13 yr old guy that serves faster and his groundstrokes are faster