PDA

View Full Version : SuperBowl Viewing???

samej07
02-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Hey guys, i was just wondering... is the SuperBowl really the most watched event on tv world wide? I was curious because i play college tennis and several of the guys on my team are foriegn. While they all love their "football," most of them only slightly like american football or cant stand it all together. one thing they have in common is that they all say it is boring and there are other things they would rather watch.

so this got me to wondering, is it really the most watched tv event in the world, or is this just more american networks talking up american sports?

yodudedudeyo
02-02-2008, 11:30 PM
probably in the world on that day. but the Olympics are a world wide event with much more appeal than american football.

tricky
02-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Yeah, I wonder about that. I mean, more watch Super Bowl than the World Cup Final? Really? Really?!?

Breaker
02-03-2008, 12:09 AM
Yeah, I wonder about that. I mean, more watch Super Bowl than the World Cup Final? Really? Really?!?

The Super Bowl is probably the highest viewed yearly event behind the Euro soccer finals.

The only events that have higher single day views across the world are the World Cup final, European soccer final, and opening and closing day ceremonies at the Olympics. I remember reading that the '06 World Cup final had over 300 million viewers worldwide, three times as many as the Super Bowl that year.

Feņa14
02-03-2008, 06:10 AM
Can't say I know anyone who watches it in England. There are people who do but they are few and far between.

Shahar26
02-03-2008, 07:18 AM
From Wiki.....

The World Cup Finals is the most widely-viewed sporting event in the world, with an estimated 715.1 million people watching the 2006 tournament final.

vbranis
02-03-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm originally from Romania (the land of Tiriac and Nasty), and I can tell you that NO ONE gives a damn about the Super Bowl. I bet that 90% of the population doesn't even know what it is. For those that do know about American football, they say it's boring because there is too much standing around and too little action. They would rather watch rugby, where the play is more continuos. So there you go, that's Romania's view of it.

AM28143
02-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Giants will win!

FEDEX1
02-03-2008, 01:40 PM
^^^HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS NO. seriously the pats are gonna kick some ***

Feņa14
02-03-2008, 09:00 PM
The FA Cup final in 2005 (Arsenal v Man Utd) had between 300 and 450 million viewers worldwide!

The figures can't be too accurate for the 2 years after that but they are almost certain to be more than the total for 2005. When you think how popular the Premier League is throughout the world these figures are hardly surprising.

That's 3,4 maybe even 5 times the amount of viewers than the Superbowl gets.

I read somewhere that 86 million Americans tune in to watch but the rest of the world combined can't manage to make it up to 100 which gives an idea as to have popular the sport is outside America.

quest01
02-03-2008, 09:35 PM
^^^HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS NO. seriously the pats are gonna kick some ***

Are you sure about that?

Moose Malloy
02-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Can't say I know anyone who watches it in England.

I don't know anyone who watches Nascar in the US, but apparently judging by ratings its huge here.

And I wonder why Wembley stadium sold out for a regular season NFL game(involving the NFL's worst team) if 'no one' watches the Super Bowl in England.

read somewhere that 86 million Americans tune in to watch but the rest of the world combined can't manage to make it up to 100 which gives an idea as to have popular the sport is outside America.

Yet its interesting that the Superbowl is broadcast in more countries than any other sporting event other than the World Cup Final.

Wonder why that is, if so few care about it outside the US. I guess just to cater to Americans who live in other countries who are looking for it?

BigServer1
02-04-2008, 12:54 PM
I don't know anyone who watches Nascar in the US, but apparently judging by ratings its huge here.

And I wonder why Wembley stadium sold out for a regular season NFL game(involving the NFL's worst team) if 'no one' watches the Super Bowl in England.

Yet its interesting that the Superbowl is broadcast in more countries than any other sporting event other than the World Cup Final.

Wonder why that is, if so few care about it outside the US. I guess just to cater to Americans who live in other countries who are looking for it?

97.5 million people (U.S) watched last night, making it the most watched Super Bowl ever and the second most watched broadcast ever behind the series finale of MASH. Returns on the world-wide broadcast aren't in yet, but they should be high.

Feņa14
02-04-2008, 03:00 PM

Most of the fans who went to Wembley were there because it was an occasion and they wondered what all the fuss was about.

The time the Superbowl is held means that alot of people are asleep in the Countries it's held in, particularly Europe.

masha4ever#1
02-05-2008, 01:25 PM
hey i really can't say how all the countries in EU deal with the Super Bowl, but in Austria i guess for some reason it's really popular, because there are Super Bowl parties everywhere.....well more precisely....football is REALLY famous and popular here, the Austrian TV even broadcasts regular games and all playoff games...WOHOOOO:)

PROTENNIS63
02-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Hey guys, i was just wondering... is the SuperBowl really the most watched event on tv world wide? I was curious because i play college tennis and several of the guys on my team are foriegn. While they all love their "football," most of them only slightly like american football or cant stand it all together. one thing they have in common is that they all say it is boring and there are other things they would rather watch.

so this got me to wondering, is it really the most watched tv event in the world, or is this just more american networks talking up american sports?

I think it is the most watched event. But the commericals there cost a few times more than the commercials for the Olympics. I think a 30 second commercial is .... I have no clue, but a few years back was in the millions.