PDA

View Full Version : The Semi Western Grip Forehand Group (the modern forehand)

Pages : [1] 2

Rickson
02-02-2008, 11:52 PM
We are proud members of a group who uses the modern forehand grip also known as the semi western forehand. Come join us and leave that old school, eastern forehand behind. The eastern forehand is for beginners and senior citizens so if you use the most devastating and versatile forehand grip in tennis today, come and join us.

boojay
02-02-2008, 11:56 PM
Hate to burst your bubble, Biscuit Buddy, but the SW is the SECOND best grip out there ;).

I agree it's the 'modern forehand', however, but is it the "Future Forehand"?

P.S. I dunno why the other guy grouped the Eastern and Extreme Eastern together. They are NOT the same.

Rickson
02-02-2008, 11:59 PM
BBB, let the modern day warriors decide for themselves. The semi western forehand is the grip of today and it will be the grip of tomorrow as well.

Sentinel
02-03-2008, 12:00 AM
You mean there are folks still using the EF ? Shame.

I use the SW, sometimes even closer to a full-western on some strokes. Sign me up.

Edit: I hit HUGE, so watch out.

Rickson
02-03-2008, 12:03 AM
You mean there are folks still using the EF ? Shame.

I use the SW, sometimes even closer to a full-western on some strokes. Sign me up.

And so you'll take the top spot, what an honor! Join quickly, folks!

montx
02-03-2008, 12:21 AM
I think the semi western is a more solid looking grip but perhaps the eastern is more loose and if gripped properly better for the arm?

I think everything has a cost and benefit and very often finding the perfect solution for the individual is what counts.

Rickson
02-03-2008, 12:26 AM
I think the semi western is a more solid looking grip but perhaps the eastern is more loose and if gripped properly better for the arm?

I think everything has a cost and benefit and very often finding the perfect solution for the individual is what counts.

Are you asking for membership?

user92626
02-03-2008, 12:28 AM
We are the proud members of the modern forehand grip also known as the semi western forehand. Come join us and leave that old school, eastern forehand behind. The eastern forehand is for beginners and senior citizens so if you use the most devastating and versatile forehand grip in tennis today, come and join us.

I literally just discovered SW grip this week and it already gave me several victories!!! I'm not kidding you, cuz I already got all the other fundamentals down, but unwittingly relied on continental and eastern which I didn't even know they were called.

However, I wouldn't so quickly drop eastern. It's really good for low ball, and the group I play with do not/could not hit explosive FH. Most of the shots are really crazy, low, short, all over the place. I can only do SW with decent height balls that stay in the air long enough. Do I make sense?

Rickson
02-03-2008, 12:34 AM
I literally just discovered SW grip this week and it already gave me several victories!!! I'm not kidding you, cuz I already got all the other fundamentals down, but unwittingly relied on continental and eastern which I didn't even know they were called.

However, I wouldn't so quickly drop eastern. It's really good for low ball, and the group I play with do not/could not hit explosive FH. Most of the shots are really crazy, low, short, all over the place. I can only do SW with decent height balls that stay in the air long enough. Do I make sense?

I'm not saying that you have to dismiss the other fh grips altogether in order to be a member of this group. I'm saying that the sw should be your primary fh grip, that's all. I use the eastern and continental when I want to slice or when I adjust for low balls.

Sentinel
02-03-2008, 01:12 AM
I'm not saying that you have to dismiss the other fh grips altogether in order to be a member of this group. I'm saying that the sw should be your primary fh grip, that's all. I use the eastern and continental when I want to slice or when I adjust for low balls.
I use the SW even for low balls. Is that laziness or skill or being foolish ?

my_forehand
02-03-2008, 02:59 AM
Can I be member no. 2?

user92626
02-03-2008, 03:18 AM
I use the SW even for low balls. Is that laziness or skill or being foolish ?

Well, you should be able to know judging how frequent you hit the balls in the net.
:)

Djokovicfan4life
02-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Switched from an eastern forehand to a semi-western about a year ago and never looked back, sign me up! :)

Andres
02-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Die, you SemiWesterners! Dieeeeee!!!
Long life to the Eastern Forehand! :D

Rickson
02-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Can I be member no. 2?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

tlm
02-03-2008, 01:51 PM
I hear you rickson, semi or full western all the way.But there are many of the oldschool eastern gripers left on this site.It amazes me to still see some instructors teaching the eastern grip on forehands, it is time to bury these old techniques.

Rickson
02-03-2008, 02:01 PM
I hear you rickson, semi or full western all the way.But there are many of the oldschool eastern gripers left on this site.It amazes me to still see some instructors teaching the eastern grip on forehands, it is time to bury these old techniques.

The efh grip is the preferred grip to teach beginners, but before a beginner gets to the intermediate stage, his training wheels should come off.

quicken
02-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Ew...
EF sucks SW owns. End of story.

Rickson
02-03-2008, 03:06 PM
1) Rickson: founder of the Semi Western Forehand Group
2) Sentinel: "You mean there are folks still using the EF ? Shame."
3) user92626: loves his newly discovered semi western grip
4) my_forehand: Dorkus McDickey
5) Djokovicfan4life: never looked back
6) tlm: "it is time to bury these old techniques."
7) quicken: disgusted by the eastern forehand

soyizgood
02-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Die, you SemiWesterners! Dieeeeee!!!
Long life to the Eastern Forehand! :D

I second that. :)

Rickson
02-03-2008, 04:03 PM
It doesn't surprise me at all that soy uses an efh grip. Soy, are you ever gonna get it right?

soyizgood
02-03-2008, 04:21 PM
It doesn't surprise me at all that soy uses an efh grip. Soy, are you ever gonna get it right?

Extreme eastern, for the record. :)

moxio
02-03-2008, 05:03 PM
I use it and it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Leoboomanu
02-03-2008, 06:43 PM

HAHAHAHA... and HAHAHAHA... :lol:

Extreme eastern, for the record. :)

Not funny...:???:

Peace

Rickson
02-03-2008, 07:02 PM
You in, Leo?

CantBeBeat2
02-03-2008, 07:25 PM
im in. i use semi western forehand. It owns the eastern grip. with semi western you get alot of spin. with the eastern grip you dont really get any...

Leoboomanu
02-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Extremely extreme SW here...

Yup, that's Leo...

Peace

soyizgood
02-03-2008, 09:00 PM
im in. i use semi western forehand. It owns the eastern grip. with semi western you get alot of spin. with the eastern grip you dont really get any...

Tell that to Federer and his extreme eastern forehand, the best forehand in the game today. Sampras' forehand was pretty damned good too and that was an eastern as well.

user92626
02-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Rickson and Others,
So with this grip how far do you move the racquet back to get ready to hit, and how high do you keep the racquet head up?

I mean, does this grip allow the player to load as much power as eastern does?

soyizgood
02-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Rickson and Others,
So with this grip how far do you move the racquet back to get ready to hit, and how high do you keep the racquet head up?

I mean, does this grip allow the player to load as much power as eastern does?

I'm no expert on the SW-grip, though I tried it for about 8 months. The selling point for the SW-grip is the potential for generating topspin. And it does quite a good job in that category. The trade-offs are a) this grip is not great at handling low balls and b) the ideal contact point is more in front of your body than it is with an eastern grip. Also, it's possible to hit flat with a SW, but you have to time it just right.

To be honest, you can hit topspin with practically any grip including the Eastern (the Western and Hawaiian are even more spin-friendly, but require a lot of energy and coordination). Because of how you position your hand using an SW grip, it makes it easier to generate topspin. The Eastern is more flat-friendly and is quite good at generating topspin. Its biggest weakness is handling high balls. And because of its nature to hit flat balls, you may tend to hit into the net or long more often than with an extreme eastern or semi-western stroke.

Rickson
02-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Tell that to Federer and his extreme eastern forehand, the best forehand in the game today. Sampras' forehand was pretty damned good too and that was an eastern as well.

First of all, Federer's forehand grip is considered a semi western forehand. Secondly, since when do you use Federer of all people as an example for you? OOPS, that's right, you're a bandwagon jumper. You simply go with whatever suits you at the time.

soyizgood
02-03-2008, 10:31 PM
First of all, Federer's forehand grip is considered a semi western forehand. Secondly, since when do you use Federer of all people as an example for you? OOPS, that's right, you're a bandwagon jumper. You simply go with whatever suits you at the time.

Unlike some zealot such as yourself, I am a fan of the game. I liked Agassi more than Sampras, but even Sampras had parts of his game I admired (forehand and serve). Federer's grip influenced me to mess with an extreme eastern, while Agassi's backhand influenced me to take up a 2HBH. Is that a crime or something? Seems someone here is mad because they couldn't get an internship working for Karl Rove or Ann Coulter.....BAHAHAHA

As for Federer's forehand, from USTA (http://www.usta.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=386674):

This question forced me to really examine the way Roger Federer holds the racquet on his “routine” forehands. It appears to me that he uses a “hybrid” grip, almost exactly between the classic Eastern and the more common semi-western.

FraNkcn
02-03-2008, 10:31 PM
I use the SW. It's awesome and I can hit flat and spin. I feel sexy when I hit like it, cause when I practice western forehand I don't hit deep enough. :(

Rickson
02-03-2008, 10:44 PM
I use the SW. It's awesome and I can hit flat and spin. I feel sexy when I hit like it, cause when I practice western forehand I don't hit deep enough. :(

OK, now this is just weird.

tricky
02-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Fed's grip can be considered extreme Eastern or very weak SW. Index knuckle on edge between bevels 3 and 4 -- that's all that you reallyneed to know.

Rickson
02-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Fed's grip can be considered extreme Eastern or very weak SW. Index knuckle on edge between bevels 3 and 4 -- that's all that you reallyneed to know.

I don't consider an extreme eastern to be the name of a forehand grip. It's either eastern or semi western. I don't see people calling the eastern backhand grip an "extreme" continental. Thanks for the input, tricky.

tricky
02-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Fed's grip is the Coach Green of grips. It is what you think it is. :D

Rickson
02-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Fed's grip is the Coach Green of grips. It is what you think it is. :D

Exactly. I guess the bandwagon jumper will have to come up with another example for his "the eastern forehand is number one" defense.

msc886
02-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Can I join if my grip is between semi western and full western?

Rickson
02-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Can I join if my grip is between semi western and full western?

No problem at all. Anything beyond eastern is ok. Continental not allowed and Hawaiian not allowed.

user92626
02-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Hawaiian not allowed.

What the hell is a Hawaiian grip? The sound of it makes me wanna sit and sip colada than compete in anything!!!!! :)

Sentinel
02-04-2008, 12:04 AM

OK, now this is just weird.
Agree totally, the SW feels absolutely sexy esp. when you pound the scrap out of the ball.

And anyone who thinks you cant flatten the ball with a SW doesn't know s***. You surely saw Djoko and others (Kohls) etc flattening the ball with an extreme grip. Perhaps you never got the modern forehand, right, sogood.

To FraNkcn, I have been scr**ing around with the western a bit, after seeing Kohlschreiber hitting some winners with it (against Roddick) and when i get into the flow, one can really hit a heavy deep ball.

Ack, since yesterday, i was trying the backswing like Djoko, yesterday it sucked, but today I was able to really hit flat and hard. I used it thruout my session and might stick with it.

CityHeightsTennis
02-04-2008, 12:04 AM
We are the proud members of the modern forehand grip also known as the semi western forehand. Come join us and leave that old school, eastern forehand behind. The eastern forehand is for beginners and senior citizens so if you use the most devastating and versatile forehand grip in tennis today, come and join us.

I use SW too............

my_forehand
02-04-2008, 01:48 AM
I wish I never used this damn grip: Rickson uses it :(

Tempest344
02-04-2008, 01:50 AM
What the hell is a Hawaiian grip? The sound of it makes me wanna sit and sip colada than compete in anything!!!!! :)

a very very western grip

Rickson
02-04-2008, 02:24 AM

Just take an eastern backhand grip and flip the racquet over as if you'd hit a forehand and there's your Hawaiian grip.

Andres
02-04-2008, 02:42 AM
Just take an eastern backhand grip and flip the racquet over as if you'd hit a forehand and there's your Hawaiian grip.
No, no. The Hawaiian grip is a continental with the other side of the stringbed. An flipped eastern backhand is a full Western ;)

Rickson
02-04-2008, 02:48 AM
No, no. The Hawaiian grip is a continental with the other side of the stringbed. An flipped eastern backhand is a full Western ;)

A western is a western for both bh and fh, a flipped eastern backhand is a Hawaiian, and a flipped continental is an extreme Hawaiian.

[ GTR ]
02-04-2008, 04:04 AM

But everything about his grip behaves like a semi western forehand grip and swing.. Even if it's called 'extreme eastern'. Just compare other players with eastern grips like the Woodies, Sampras, to players with semi western grips like Safin, Nalbandian, Blake and then tell me does Federer's forehand swing look like an eastern or semi western:confused:

Rickson
02-04-2008, 04:18 AM
Definitely a semi western.

Federer's forehand (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM0jYWfVFMw&feature=related)

Notice how Federer's racquet is slightly closed at contact yet his pinky is perpendicular to the ground. It wouldn't make sense for Federer to take an eastern grip then tilt the racquet forward when he could simply do what he's doing anyway by using the semi western grip. Proof positive, no dispute.

Djokovicfan4life
02-04-2008, 05:17 AM
Wouldn't the Hawaiian grip kill your wrist? :shock:

tfm1973
02-04-2008, 06:02 AM
Definitely a semi western.

Federer's forehand (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM0jYWfVFMw&feature=related)

Notice how Federer's racquet is slightly closed at contact yet his pinky is perpendicular to the ground. It wouldn't make sense for Federer to take an eastern grip then tilt the racquet forward when he could simply do what he's doing anyway by using the semi western grip. Proof positive, no dispute.

other people would disagree with your assessment. you can read this article:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/06/25/news/rwtechnic.php

i think wikipedia and some other sites also say he uses a mostly eastern forehand grip. i've read articles where fed says he varies his grip slightly according to the shot.

i've played and lost to players who had continental, eastern, semi-western, western, hawaiian, two handed forehand and everything in between. they all seem to do a good job getting the ball over the net assuming you know what you're doing.

when are you going to start a club for people who pee standing up? or drink milk straight from the carton? or drive on the right side of the road? :-|

soyizgood
02-04-2008, 07:56 AM
A western is a western for both bh and fh, a flipped eastern backhand is a Hawaiian, and a flipped continental is an extreme Hawaiian.

Andres is right and as usual you are wrong, Rickson.

HAWAIIAN GRIP (http://tennis.about.com/od/forehandbackhand/ss/fhgripclosewt_5.htm)

One way to find the grip is to place your hand in a Continental position, then twist your wrist and forearm 180 degrees clockwise so that your knuckles are facing forward.

WBF
02-04-2008, 08:12 AM
:roll:

What's with all the clubs?

Rickson
02-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Andres is right and as usual you are wrong, Rickson.

HAWAIIAN GRIP (http://tennis.about.com/od/forehandbackhand/ss/fhgripclosewt_5.htm)

Bandwagon's back. Well, bandwagon, some might consider a flipped continental a Hawaiian and some might consider a flipped ebh a Hawaiian, but nobody considers a flipped ebh a western so eat your words once again.

soyizgood
02-04-2008, 11:04 AM
:roll:

What's with all the clubs?

I'm a proud member of two of the oldest and coolest clubs. :)

Andres
02-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Bandwagon's back. Well, bandwagon, some might consider a flipped continental a Hawaiian and some might consider a flipped ebh a Hawaiian, but nobody considers a flipped ebh a western so eat your words once again.
Actually, that's the DEFINITION of a Western. It's an EBH on the forehand side.

"nobody considers a flipped ebh a western" ... Ehmm... read the boards, Rick. Everyone considers it.

soyizgood
02-04-2008, 11:12 AM
I don't consider an extreme eastern to be the name of a forehand grip. It's either eastern or semi western. I don't see people calling the eastern backhand grip an "extreme" continental. Thanks for the input, tricky.

tennis.about.com (http://tennis.about.com/cs/yourgame/a/fhessftvideo.htm)

This site has a page just for the extreme eastern forehand. Seems someone *cough*Rickson*cough* here is stuck in their OLDE ways thinking it's 1988 because a Bush is president.

Rickson
02-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Actually, that's the DEFINITION of a Western. It's an EBH on the forehand side.

"nobody considers a flipped ebh a western" ... Ehmm... read the boards, Rick. Everyone considers it.

And the western backhand would be... could it be? Also a western for a forehand?

Andres
02-04-2008, 11:21 AM
This is the first time I've ever HEARD of a western backhand.

The Eastern backhand is a Western forehand (Federer).
The Extreme Eastern BH (or Full Eastern BH) is a SW forehand (Kuerten, Henin).
A Western backhand should be an Eastern forehand and no one hits a backhand with that grip.

Rickson
02-04-2008, 11:24 AM
This is the first time I've ever HEARD of a western backhand.

Your boy, Cooper, knows it.

the western backhand grip (http://tennis.about.com/od/forehandbackhand/ss/bh1gripclosewt_4.htm)

Cup8489
02-04-2008, 11:44 AM
so it exists. but who the heck uses it? ive never seen it used, i've never heard of it being taught anywhere, so unless YOU use it, its a non-practiced grip. but it would, nevertheless, be fun to try. but this argument over grips is kinda stupid, IMO, because we're all still playing tennis, and i personally switch between almost all grips depending on the ball. eastern is the most comfortable for me and the most consistent, but i tend to play my matches with more spin, inevitably needing to alternate between SW and Eastern, just because more and more people put spin at the top. it's actually kinda easy to beat someone who plays with too much spin/not enough placement, b/c at my height theyre setting me up for constant eastern driving shots. and those are pains in the *** to return, speaking from experience.

user92626
02-04-2008, 12:11 PM
CUP,
what do you mean by "too much spin/not enough placement" ?

Rickson
02-05-2008, 02:52 PM
3) user92626: loves his newly discovered semi western grip
4) my_forehand: Dorkus McDickey
5) Djokovicfan4life: never looked back
7) quicken: disgusted by the eastern forehand
8 )moxio: "I use it and it's the best thing since sliced bread."
9) Leoboomanu: laughs at soy
10) CantBeBeat2: likes to use the sw grip for spin
11) FraNkcn: "I feel sexy when I hit like it"
12) msc886: almost western
13) CityHeightsTennis: from the city heights
14) [ GTR ]: knows that Federer uses the semi western

kicker magic
02-06-2008, 02:28 AM
I use the semi-western grip I believe it is the most versatile IMO(hit topspin brushing up , flat more through the ball) and simply just out weighs the other grips

Sentinel
02-06-2008, 03:24 AM
Does anyone here have a closeup video of Tsonga hitting a forehand -- I mean the "whippy" one, in which he slings the rack back and then unleashes it.

I tried it the other day and one can really hit *big* strokes with that. The only problem I faced was with placement (netted a few), but that should be fixed with some practice.

Rickson
02-06-2008, 09:09 AM
I use the semi-western grip I believe it is the most versatile IMO(hit topspin brushing up , flat more through the ball) and simply just out weighs the other grips

The semi western forehand grip is the best forehand grip in the history of tennis. That's the reason Federer uses it.

Tim Tennis
02-06-2008, 01:03 PM
The semi western forehand grip is the best forehand grip in the history of tennis. That's the reason Federer uses it.

Hello Rickson, I was wondering when someone would start the Semi-Western club.

I agree Roger, does use the SW and so do a lot of other top pros.

The SW places the hand and wrist in a much stronger position vs the EF, for the fast swing speeds and steeper swing paths that we all can hit with now due to the light, very powerful racquets on the market today. It is a very versitle grip, you can generate all kinds of topspin and you can hit very powerful relatively flat drives.

Seriously, for all you guys stuck with the EF check out this link. It is time you started playing with the "Big Boys," Power up your game, hit out with maximun racquet head speed and still have control, turn the dogs loose. LOL, just having some fun.

http://www.tennisgeometrics.com/SemiWestern_power_forehand.html

Ed ***en/Tim Tennis
Tennis Geometrics Company

http://www.tennisgeometrics.com

Rickson
02-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Hello Rickson, I was wondering when someone would start the Semi-Western club.

I agree Roger, does use the SW and so do a lot of other top pros.

This man knows his tennis.

Rickson
02-08-2008, 11:27 AM
1) Rickson: founder of the Semi Western Forehand Group.
3) user92626: loves his newly discovered semi western grip.
4) my_forehand: Stinky McStinkface.
5) Djokovicfan4life: never looked back.
7) quicken: disgusted by the eastern forehand.
9) Leoboomanu: laughs at soy.
10) CantBeBeat2: likes to use the sw grip for spin.
11) FraNkcn: "I feel sexy when I hit like it".
12) msc886: almost western.
13) CityHeightsTennis: from the city heights.
14) [ GTR ]: knows that Federer uses the semi western.
15) kicker magic: believes the semi western outweighs the other grips.
16) Tim Tennis: truly believes in the semi western forehand.

[d]ragon
02-09-2008, 12:21 AM
wait wait wait...

so whats eastern forehand again? :twisted:
count me in

Rickson
02-09-2008, 12:35 AM
ragon;2078944']wait wait wait...

so whats eastern forehand again? :twisted:
count me in

This is an eastern forehand.

Pete's forehand. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgmBh7ScONc&feature=related)

and this is a semi western forehand.

Roger's forehand (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM0jYWfVFMw&feature=related)

user92626
02-09-2008, 01:37 AM

These vids show the grips quite clearly. Good job, ricky. Even better if you could find a similar video of Nadal's

my_forehand
02-09-2008, 04:32 AM
Rickson, why are you showing videos of Sampras' forehand?

I'm a Sampras fan, but who cares about his damn forehand, this is the semi-western group!! :)

Rickson
02-09-2008, 07:45 AM
These vids show the grips quite clearly. Good job, ricky. Even better if you could find a similar video of Nadal's

You got your wish. Nadal uses the semi western forehand.

Nadal's forehand (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEjtLGMd2p8&feature=related)

SalParadise17
02-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Our tennis coach sucks, I am one of two people on my twenty person high school team who uses a semiwestern. He grimaces at my grip and my OHBH... but he's just jealous ;-).

Sal

tlm
02-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Nadals forehand is sweet, notice he uses a windshield wiper technique.

Double Fault
02-10-2008, 07:01 AM
In for semi western forehands.

veryfatchocobo
02-10-2008, 07:42 AM
Add me thx.

[d]ragon
02-10-2008, 12:05 PM

i was joking
add me to the list

Rickson
02-10-2008, 07:17 PM
ragon;2081148']i was joking
add me to the list

I knew you weren't serious. I was just using Roger's forehand as an example so I could **** off the eastern forehanders who claim Roger uses an eastern grip.

kirschbomb
02-10-2008, 07:38 PM

I have to disagree. Just look at Federer's swing and Djokovic's swing and tell me there isn't a difference. Federer definately hits through the ball more (flatter), while Djoko brushes up and does a windshield wiper swing. Federer's grip is between Eastern and SW, like mine.

But aside from that I'm looking to adopt a SW grip soon because it is the "Future Forehand" IMO.

lilxjohnyy
02-10-2008, 07:48 PM
im in! went from eastern to semiwestern to full western back to semiwestern.... playing my best with semi

user92626
02-10-2008, 11:01 PM
You got your wish. Nadal uses the semi western forehand.

Nadal's forehand (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEjtLGMd2p8&feature=related)

Very good, rickson. In return I shall support this club, this grip and find ways to improve it. :)
I've bookmarked Nadal's video and will use it for "training" haha your effort is not wasted :)

Rickson
02-11-2008, 11:42 PM
That's good news. Some people claim Nadal hits with a western grip, but I don't see it. Nadal's forehand grip definitely looks like a semi western to me.

boojay
02-12-2008, 05:28 AM
Lately, I've been making the transition to a SW. I'm still an EE user, but it seems I'm a part-time SW now as well. I've always been able to hit with all the grips, but just lately I've utilized the SW about 30% of the time during rallies, which is drastically more than what I used to do.

I think the future forehand is an EE held like a SW, if that makes any sense.

NamRanger
02-12-2008, 08:07 AM
That's good news. Some people claim Nadal hits with a western grip, but I don't see it. Nadal's forehand grip definitely looks like a semi western to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEjtLGMd2p8&feature=related

You sir are defintely wrong.

Rickson
02-12-2008, 09:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEjtLGMd2p8&feature=related

You sir are defintely wrong.

It's a semi western, soldier. If Nadal used a full western, his palm would face the sky at contact and as you can see, it clearly does not.

NamRanger
02-12-2008, 11:22 AM
It's a semi western, soldier. If Nadal used a full western, his palm would face the sky at contact and as you can see, it clearly does not.

You really do not know what you are talking about. Look at Nadal's contact point, his takeback, and and his wrist/hand position in relation to the racquet. That's enough to tell you he hits with a western grip. If you want some more evidence, ask Tricky, Jeff, BB, or John Yendall and the'll all tell you that Nadal hits with a western grip.

tricky
02-12-2008, 11:33 AM
JY has Nadal holding racquet with index knuckle on edge between bevels 4 and 5. That's a Western grip to me.

Nadal uses a straight-arm FH. That enables Nadal to hit the ball at a MUCH lower contact point than the typical Western grip users. In that sense it can be misleading.

kirschbomb
02-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Federer = Extreme Eastern

Nadal = Western

Get it right Mr. I started a Semi-Western Forehand Club, but I dont even know what one is.

Rickson
02-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Federer = Extreme Eastern

Nadal = Western

Get it right Mr. I started a Semi-Western Forehand Club, but I dont even know what one is.

Wrong and wrong! Federer uses a semi western and Nadal uses an in between semi western and full western which qualifies as a semi western.

NamRanger
02-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Wrong and wrong! Federer uses a semi western and Nadal uses an in between semi western and full western which qualifies as a semi western.

Someone should just honestly ban you, because your club making and ignorance has really gone to an all time high.

Rickson
02-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Here's a thought, ignorant one. You could simply ignore the posts and threads. Nobody asked for your annoying presence.

kirschbomb
02-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Fed's playing style
Federer has a versatile, all-court playing style and can hit all of the fundamental shots with a high degree of proficiency. He is an adept volleyer and an excellent baseliner who can dictate play with precise groundstrokes from both wings.[42] Federer uses fairly conventional grips. His forehand is between a modern eastern and mild semi-western as his hand is about halfway underneath the racquet, allowing for either a flat or topspin shot. He hits through his forehand on a straighter plane and finishes his swing wrapped around his back.[43] He also can generate extreme top-spin with the shot, allowing him to open up cross-court angles while still hitting the ball with pace. David Foster Wallace has described the exceptional speed, fluidity and brute force of this forehand motion as "a great liquid whip",[44] while John McEnroe has referred to it as "the greatest shot in our sport" on numerous occasions.[45] Federer plays with a one-handed backhand, which has improved over the last few years. Although critics and coaches consider his backhand as his weaker side, it has developed into one of the best in the game. He has an excellent slice which knifes through the court with great pace and throws off opponents, but can also fire great top-spin shots that seem to catch the baseline as if magnetically drawn to it. Federer tends to hit his groundstrokes early, while the ball is still on the rise, much like Andre Agassi did. While this requires excellent reactions and footwork, it means that Federer hits his groundstrokes closer to the net than most of his opponents. This reduces the reaction time of his opponents and allows him to hit the sharply angled winners that are a trademark of his game.[44]

Nadal's style
Nadal's playing style is best tailored for clay courts. Playing with a strong two-handed backhand, well-angled topspin strokes, fast mobility on the court, excellent defense, and a preference to play from the deep court, he has developed into the best clay court player in the game, and maybe the best the sport has ever seen. He uses an extreme western grip forehand, which allows him to hit heavy, powerful topspin forehands giving him a large margin of error because of the height he clears the net. He is naturally right-handed, but he plays left-handed, and uses his dominant hand as an anchor for his two-handed backhand which he can flatten out. Known for his excellent defense, Nadal hits on the run well and creates many winners from seemingly defensive positions. Nadal is extremely athletic, and tends to go after every shot, even apparent winners from his opponents.[20]

from wikipedia.org

You can't argue with Wiki :oops:

NamRanger
02-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Here's a thought, ignorant one. You could simply ignore the posts and threads. Nobody asked for your annoying presence.

I'm ignorant? I'm not the one spewing everything out like he knows everything only to be proven wrong time and time again.

Rickson
02-12-2008, 11:34 PM
I'm ignorant?

Yes you are.

I'm not the one spewing everything out like he knows everything only to be proven wrong time and time again.

Yes you are.

Rickson
02-13-2008, 01:35 AM
Fed's playing style

Nadal's style

from wikipedia.org

You can't argue with Wiki :oops:

Wikipedia? That's accuracy personified.

NamRanger
02-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Yes you are.

Yes you are.

Good thing BB hasn't proven you wrong about the whole BH Theory, Tricky about the semi-western with Nadal, and a whole slew of others about the serve and toss. You were proven wrong three times in a span of a day.

Rickson
02-13-2008, 08:38 AM
1) Rickson: founder of the Semi Western Forehand Group.
3) user92626: loves his newly discovered semi western grip.
4) my_forehand: Stinky McStinkface.
5) Djokovicfan4life: never looked back.
7) quicken: disgusted by the eastern forehand.
9) Leoboomanu: laughs at soy.
10) CantBeBeat2: likes to use the sw grip for spin.
11) FraNkcn: "I feel sexy when I hit like it".
12) msc886: almost western.
13) CityHeightsTennis: from the city heights.
14) [ GTR ]: knows that Federer uses the semi western.
15) kicker magic: believes the semi western outweighs the other grips.
16) Tim Tennis: truly believes in the semi western forehand.
17) [d]ragon: doesn't even know what an eastern forehand is.
18 )SalParadise17: even his coach envies him.
19) Double Fault: likes to camp out behind the baseline.
20) veryfatchocobo: wants to lose weight.
21) lilxjohnyy: grips are cyclical for him.

user92626
02-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Rickson,

Judging by the number on the list, this looks like an elite breed ...lol

Anyway, let's get back to discussing and improving the grip and its swing. Last weekend I seemed to have lost it occasionally because I was trying too hard to get it "right". I kept fixing it. But I think I have it back under control now after reviewing. I need to keep it simple.

Question for you and others: do you spread the fingers out a bit with this grip?

Rickson
02-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Rickson,

Question for you and others: do you spread the fingers out a bit with this grip?

No, the bottom 3 fingers stay together on my grip. You'd think they'd be spread out, but when I grabbed my racquet after reading your question, 3 fingers were all touching.

Rickson
02-16-2008, 08:11 AM
Rickson,

Judging by the number on the list, this looks like an elite breed ...lol

It's the modern breed.

dave333
02-16-2008, 08:13 AM
YEAH SEMI-WESTERN IS THAT BOMB BIZTATCHES!!! lolz i amz funntz!

But yes, Semi-Western is the grip for a new age of awesome tennis.

ondray
02-16-2008, 10:51 AM

I just want to point out the fact that one cannot judge a grip by just looking at the position of the palm. Racquet angles, contact points, swing paths and ball heights are taken into account too.

This is not a personal attack. Please correct me if I am wrong about this.

Rickson
02-16-2008, 11:05 AM
I just want to point out the fact that one cannot judge a grip by just looking at the position of the palm. Racquet angles, contact points, swing paths and ball heights are taken into account too.

This is not a personal attack. Please correct me if I am wrong about this.

No worries, I just like busting Nam's chops.

tennispro11
02-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Sign me up! The SW is the only way to fly!

T

Rickson
02-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Sign me up! The SW is the only way to fly!

T

That's what I like to see.

soyizgood
02-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Semi-Western is for folks that are scared to hit flat and lack proper placement and control skills. Hit hard, brush violently and high, and oooh look at the spin pretty much sums up the Semi-Western. Also it's for people that would rather have a 30 stroke point battle from 10 feet behind the baseline instead of going for the kill like you would with an Eastern/Extreme Eastern.

You have fun with your shot and I'll have fun with mine. Enjoy being the flavor grip of the moment. Tennis has lost its variety in playing styles largely because of the Semi-Western's rise. You should be proud of such an achievement. HAHA

ondray
02-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Semi-western grips can generate flatter shots too.

tennispro11
02-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Semi-Western is for folks that are scared to hit flat and lack proper placement and control skills. Hit hard, brush violently and high, and oooh look at the spin pretty much sums up the Semi-Western. Also it's for people that would rather have a 30 stroke point battle from 10 feet behind the baseline instead of going for the kill like you would with an Eastern/Extreme Eastern.

You have fun with your shot and I'll have fun with mine. Enjoy being the flavor grip of the moment. Tennis has lost its variety in playing styles largely because of the Semi-Western's rise. You should be proud of such an achievement. HAHA

I can flatten out my forehand if I want. I think you are mistaking the SW for the Western grip. Why are you in this thread again? Isn't this for people with SW forehands? Go to your Eastern Forehand thread. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Oh and I can put my forehand wherever I want. No trouble in the placement and control department. Maybe you just suck with the SW. Ever think of that?

T

ogruskie
02-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Count me in.

Alexio92
02-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Is it possible to use a western but hit it like a semi western?

[d]ragon
02-16-2008, 02:18 PM

i hit flat...

Tim Tennis
02-16-2008, 02:55 PM

Oh my goodness, listen to yourself, "tennis has lost its variety in playing styles because of the SW," and why has the SW taken over high performance tennis? The results speak for themselves, PLAYERS WHO MASTER THIS GREAT GRIP GENERALLY HAVE A MUCH BETTER FOREHAND THEN THOSE WHO DON'T USE IT.

You sound like all those announcers who think everyone should serve and volley. If high performance players thought they could win by serving and volleying, they would.

Having said all that the EF is a great grip for mid-level players who can't generate all that much racquet speed in the first place. Ha, Ha, Ho, Ho, LOL You got to love the game.

Best regards,

Ed
Tennis Geometrics

http://www.tennisgeometrics.com

Sentinel
02-16-2008, 09:00 PM
deleted post

Rickson
02-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Semi-Western is for folks that are scared to hit flat and lack proper placement and control skills. Hit hard, brush violently and high, and oooh look at the spin pretty much sums up the Semi-Western.

Andy Roddick uses a strong semi western which is close to a full western and his shots are extremely flat. Where did you get this notion that semi western forehands aren't good for flat shots? Even westerners hit flat bombs.

Also it's for people that would rather have a 30 stroke point battle from 10 feet behind the baseline instead of going for the kill like you would with an Eastern/Extreme Eastern.

What are you taking because it must be some powerful stuff? You're telling me that the semi western forehand players are known for pushing more than eastern forehand users? Go for the kill with an eastern and push with a semi western. What planet does such a thing take place? Definitely not on this planet.

Andres
02-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Andy Roddick uses a strong semi western which is close to a full western and his shots are extremely flat. Where did you get this notion that semi western forehands aren't good for flat shots? Even westerners hit flat bombs.
No, that was the Roddick of 2003. Now he hits heavy topspin.
But the point still stands, you can hit flat with every grip, and heavy topspin with every grip. It's a matter of changing the swingpath.

Rickson
02-18-2008, 08:24 PM
No, that was the Roddick of 2003. Now he hits heavy topspin.
But the point still stands, you can hit flat with every grip, and heavy topspin with every grip. It's a matter of changing the swingpath.

But for soy to say that eastern is known as the heavy bombing grip while the semi western is known as a pusher's grip sounds absolutely ridiculous.

madamadadane
02-19-2008, 12:03 PM
i have a semi western grip!.... when i first started playing tennis i had an eastern grip but then after a while of playing i woke up one morning and i had a semi-western! I have no trouble getting the ball full of spin but i have trouble in controlling the placement of the shot, but this grip is really new for me and i need help in improving it! may i join!?

jeffro93
02-20-2008, 11:47 AM
I'm back to a semi western grip after a brief stint with a full western. I'd like to join.

zebano
02-20-2008, 12:27 PM
I love having the option of hitting with topspin or almost flat (though I usually prefer the spin), count me in.

g9clem
02-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Recently switch from eastern to semi-western. Still working out some of the kinks in my stroke but count me in.

NamRanger
02-20-2008, 01:29 PM
No worries, I just like busting Nam's chops.

It's mutual. At least we don't completely slander each other like BeHappy and the Serv Doc.

Rickson
02-20-2008, 03:29 PM
It's mutual. At least we don't completely slander each other like BeHappy and the Serv Doc.

Then you knew I was just funninya.

NamRanger
02-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Then you knew I was just funninya.

*shrug* what would this board be without our harmless insults and multiple clubs though?

Rickson
02-20-2008, 06:17 PM
*shrug* what would this board be without our harmless insults and multiple clubs though?

You know what, nam? This board would be boring if we didn't take shots at each other, but let's be for real; most of us don't take any of it seriously. If everyone agreed about everything, life would be boring. As long as we're sensible enough not to be like those extremists (terrorists), a little disagreement won't hurt anyone and if it does hurt, that just means you're not ready to argue.

Sentinel
02-20-2008, 09:27 PM
super thought-for-the-day, Rickson.

Rickson
02-20-2008, 10:02 PM
super thought-for-the-day, Rickson.

I disagree with you, Sentinel.

Sentinel
02-20-2008, 10:29 PM
I disagree with you, Sentinel.
I am not ready to argue with people like you, that's all.
People like you make me want to leave this forum and stick my head in wet sand.

Rickson
02-20-2008, 10:45 PM
I am not ready to argue with people like you, that's all.
People like you make me want to leave this forum and stick my head in wet sand.

I see. Does that mean I hurt you?

user92626
02-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Will you two get a room!?

Rickson
02-20-2008, 10:50 PM

Don't you understand dry humor?

Sentinel
02-21-2008, 03:55 AM
Chillax, man.

See Gonzales' 180 km/hr forehand (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFibX-inICg&feature=related). Now go try it !

And here's something that popped up out of the blue: A south korean high-school tennis player (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcffxVaSCWY). Enjoy (except for the weak backhand *wink* )!!!

tennis_player09
02-21-2008, 06:24 PM
hello pple,
i would also like to join this club...
I am a beginner but i enjoying the versatility of this grip...
GO TOPSPIN AND FLATNESS!!! yay! lol

Rickson
02-25-2008, 10:47 PM
hello pple,
i would also like to join this club...
I am a beginner but i enjoying the versatility of this grip...
GO TOPSPIN AND FLATNESS!!! yay! lol

You made the right choice.

user92626
02-25-2008, 10:52 PM
I have a question:

whose sw grip is like the chopper/axe grip, ie continental, with the racquet turn exactly 90 degree?

I have evolved to this grip. Extremely powerful and easy to change to other grips for me, ie bh, lob, etc.

tennis_nerd22
02-26-2008, 01:24 PM
We are proud members of a group who uses the modern forehand grip also known as the semi western forehand. Come join us and leave that old school, eastern forehand behind. The eastern forehand is for beginners and senior citizens so if you use the most devastating and versatile forehand grip in tennis today, come and join us.

haha i dont know what the point of this group was but im in.. lmao

Rickson
02-27-2008, 05:38 PM
3) montx: feels the semi western looks solid
4) user92626: loves his newly discovered semi western grip
5) my_forehand: Dorkus McDickey
6) Djokovicfan4life: never looked back
7) tlm: "it is time to bury these old techniques."
8 )quicken: disgusted by the eastern forehand
9) moxio: "I use it and it's the best thing since sliced bread."
10) Leoboomanu: laughs at soy
11) CantBeBeat2: likes to use the sw grip for spin
12) FraNkcn: "I feel sexy when I hit like it"
13) msc886: almost western
14) CityHeightsTennis: from the city heights
15) [ GTR ]: knows that Federer uses the semi western
16) kicker magic: believes the semi western outweighs the other grips.
17) Tim Tennis: truly believes in the semi western forehand.
18 )[d]ragon: doesn't even know what an eastern forehand is.
19 )SalParadise17: even his coach envies him.
20) Double Fault: likes to camp out behind the baseline.
21) veryfatchocobo: wants to lose weight.
22) lilxjohnyy: grips are cyclical for him.
23) dave333: "Semi-Western is the grip for a new age of awesome tennis"
24) tennispro11: flies with the semi western
25) ogruskie: from the valley
26) Alexio92: uses a strong semi western
27) madamadadane: woke up with a semi western one morning
28 )jeffro93Z: went back to the semi western
29) zebano: likes the versatility of a semi western
30) g9clem: working out some kinks
31) tennis_player09: topspin and flat options turn him on
32) tennis_nerd22: laughs at his own comments

Djokovicfan4life
02-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Rickson's comments next to the members always crack me up. :lol:

zapvor
02-28-2008, 06:29 PM
sign me up baby.

Mansewerz
02-28-2008, 06:50 PM
SW for the mother****ing win!!!!!! Join me up. Btw, how much spacing do you have between your index finger and the rest of your fingers when you grip a racquet?

Djokovicfan4life
02-28-2008, 06:56 PM
sign me up baby.

Maybe your comment will be something like "Feels that the semi-western is as smooth as a baby's bottom." :wink:

zapvor
02-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Maybe your comment will be something like "Feels that the semi-western is as smooth as a baby's bottom." :wink:

LOL. maybe. i dontknow what a baby's bottom feels like though

Rickson
02-28-2008, 07:40 PM

Or it could be, tell it to the hand.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/image.php?u=12093&dateline=1169929060

Rickson
03-04-2008, 02:39 PM
LOL. maybe. i dontknow what a baby's bottom feels like though

You never changed a diaper?

Djokovicfan4life
03-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Is it OK if I use an extreme eastern grip on sitters to flatten out my shots? Otherwise my putaways just have too much spin on them, allowing my opponent to run it down and use the high bounce to hit a passing shot. :(

Am I betraying my Semi Western brethren? I'd hate to have to go join soyisgood's crappy club.

Rickson
03-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Is it OK if I use an extreme eastern grip on sitters to flatten out my shots? Otherwise my putaways just have to much spin on them, allowing my opponent to run it down and use the high bounce to hit a passing shot. :(

Am I betraying my Semi Western brethren? I'd hate to have to go join soyisgood's crappy club.

Just because you belong to a group doesn't mean you can't use other grips. I use the eastern and sometimes the continental when I return low balls. I do the opposite of you though on putaways. I tend to go even more western and put the smackdown on high balls that are close to the net. I believe you're probably going from low to high even on putaways and that's giving you the misconception that efh can flatten out high balls better than the western grips. You should take a closed face and drive straight through on high balls with a near western grip like Andy Roddick does. Give it a try and you'll see that the efh is not the ideal putaway grip on high balls. The strong semi western seems to be the ideal grip for that.

guitarplayer
03-06-2008, 04:33 PM
My grip is so far West....I feel like I'm out in the middle of the Pacific. Hummmm, could it then be called a far eastern grip?

wyutani
03-07-2008, 04:17 AM

what if i use a semi-western but double handed? can i join?

my_forehand
03-07-2008, 04:49 AM
what if i use a semi-western but double handed? can i join?

Yes.

But, can I ask you a few questions about double handed?

a) Why did you choose it?
b) Is it easier to use?
c) Volleys! Please explain. (Santoro uses double I think, do they normally?)

Don't really watch Bartoli, Santoro (unless HL's with his matches with Fed), or Seles for that matter.

Sentinel
03-07-2008, 04:55 AM
I'd hate to have to go join soyisgood's crappy club.
haha, lol, that remark alone qualifies you to be here :-D
OMG lmao.

Am I betraying my Semi Western brethren?

You have to play your best tennis bro, don't worry about betraying. Keep it up.

Once again ROTL !!!

my_forehand
03-07-2008, 05:13 AM
haha, lol, that remark alone qualifies you to be here :-D
OMG lmao.

You have to play your best tennis bro, don't worry about betraying. Keep it up.

Once again ROTL !!!

ROTL?

Don't you mean ROTFL?

wyutani
03-07-2008, 05:30 AM
Yes.

But, can I ask you a few questions about double handed?

a) Why did you choose it?
b) Is it easier to use?
c) Volleys! Please explain. (Santoro uses double I think, do they normally?)

Don't really watch Bartoli, Santoro (unless HL's with his matches with Fed), or Seles for that matter.

i used one handed at first but it was too heavy. so i used 2 haded. it is easier to use...duh! my unforced error cut to half, more consistency. and i volleys one handed.

my_forehand
03-07-2008, 05:33 AM
I meant, was it easy to adapt to quickly?

True, your errors cut to half, but did it also cut your power in half? Plus, isn't harder to hit inside-out forehand?

wyutani
03-07-2008, 05:46 AM
I meant, was it easy to adapt to quickly?

True, your errors cut to half, but did it also cut your power in half? Plus, isn't harder to hit inside-out forehand?

power by half? yeah, true, but double handed offer disguise, confusion is a powerful tool. i prefer beating my opponents wif trickery rather than raw power. anyway, im not that strong, but being quick does help.

Djokovicfan4life
03-07-2008, 05:47 AM
power by half? yeah, true, but double handed offer disguise, confusion is a powerful tool. i prefer beating my opponents wif trickery rather than raw power. anyway, im not that strong, but being quick does help.

I think there's room in here for a Fabrice Santoro type of player. :)

greedyness
03-07-2008, 07:54 AM
I had a question, why is using SW for serving bad?

smoothtennis
03-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Sign me up...SW all the way.

blackfrido
03-07-2008, 08:09 AM

Is there any pic that you can post of this new SW modern grip?

Djokovicfan4life
03-07-2008, 08:10 AM

I would imagine it would be hard to pronate properly in a semi-western.

Rickson
03-07-2008, 08:54 AM

It's ok if you want to send the ball over to the next court.

user92626
03-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Is there any pic that you can post of this new SW modern grip?

SEMI-WESTERN
http://www.tennis.com/uploadedImages/Your_Game/TENNIS_101/2006_04_19_grip_guide_4.jpg

A Much easier way to understand this grip is the Continental with the racquet turned 90 degree. Period.
Pure Continental:
http://www.tennis.com/uploadedImages/Your_Game/TENNIS_101/2006_04_19_grip_guide_2.jpg

1hand4ever
03-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Add me, I started using a semi-western a month ago and it give me much more power and topspin.

ohhgourami
03-07-2008, 07:09 PM
iv been using semi western for over about a year now. i cant imagine playing with any other grip. i used to hit eastern when i barely started out but its crap.

greedyness
03-07-2008, 08:26 PM
I would imagine it would be hard to pronate properly in a semi-western.

my serves (with sw) seem to have a lot of side(?) spin, when it hits the ground, it goes my right (aka their left/backhand) rather than just flat.

greedyness
03-07-2008, 08:27 PM
It's ok if you want to send the ball over to the next court.

if i concentrate enough, most of mine land in, just really near their service line..

Rickson
03-07-2008, 08:50 PM
if i concentrate enough, most of mine land in, just really near their service line..

Let me put it another way.

Do not use the semi western forehand grip for serves!

Use a continental or an eastern backhand grip for serves

my_forehand
03-07-2008, 08:52 PM
I have barely read this thread; so let me get it straight..(aside from peltering wyutani with questions ;))

People are using the semi-western for serves?

Wow.

wyutani
03-07-2008, 08:53 PM
semi-western for serving is sooooooo weird...i myself use a eastern backhand grip for my serve, kinda like borg.

Rickson
03-07-2008, 08:57 PM
semi-western for serving is sooooooo weird...i myself use a eastern backhand grip for my serve, kinda like borg.

Because it's not correct! That's like using a semi western forehand grip for a one handed backhand. Why would anyone do such a thing?

my_forehand
03-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Why would anyone name a member of their club, Titties McJigglesworth? :(:cry:

Rickson
03-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Why would anyone name a member of their club, Titties McJigglesworth? :(:cry:

People love your new name! Besides, I stopped at McJiggles. Alright, I'll look for a new name because you're probably really crying.

my_forehand
03-07-2008, 09:03 PM
LOL, yeah, sure I am Rickson.

I don't even cry for things like that.

Rickson
03-07-2008, 09:07 PM
LOL, yeah, sure I am Rickson.

I don't even cry for things like that.

How about Forehand McDingle? Do you like that one?

greedyness
03-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Let me put it another way.

Do not use the semi western forehand grip for serves!

Use a continental or an eastern backhand grip for serves

oh I know continental is the "correct" way of serving, it just hurts my wrist a butt load. :\

my_forehand
03-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Rickson, I don't give a crp anymore. Name it whatever you want.

Rickson
03-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Rickson, I don't give a crp anymore. Name it whatever you want.

Really? I've got a new name for you!

my_forehand
03-07-2008, 09:24 PM
I don't really care. Crappy ***** suits me fine too.

Rickson
03-07-2008, 09:29 PM
I don't really care. Crappy ***** suits me fine too.

I'll give you a good one. You are hereby named King McBiscuit.

my_forehand
03-07-2008, 09:37 PM
As I said, I don't care anymore...name me Biscuit God if it helps you get to bed.

Rickson
03-07-2008, 09:40 PM
As I said, I don't care anymore...name me Biscuit God if it helps you get to bed.

I'll just call you, one night in Bangkok.

my_forehand
03-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Rickson, you don't have to tell me, I don't care.

Rickson
03-07-2008, 09:47 PM
I think you'll like this one: Storm Trooper AKA Thai Fighter.

my_forehand
03-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Just put whatever you feel like dude.

phoenicks
03-08-2008, 10:47 PM
started out with the Eastern forehand,
but it is downright inconsistent, hard to sustain in rally with little or no topspin at all !!!

Changed to SW grip long time ago after my friends' advice,
been playing consistent with it and have a wicked topspin, very versatile !!!
So here I am, I want to join this club !!!

Sentinel
03-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Welcome to the fold, phoenicks.

my_forehand, would you be so kind to show Phoenicks around ;-)

Rafael_Nadal_6257
03-09-2008, 04:26 PM
put me in the group!, mine is more of a modified semiwestern :p, but its good enough :D

Djokovicfan4life
03-09-2008, 06:00 PM
put me in the group!, mine is more of a modified semiwestern :p, but its good enough :D

What do you mean by modified? More towards a full western?

Whatever the case, welcome to our elite club! Those eastern grippers think they have the superior grip, but they're just jealous.

stav_babolat
03-10-2008, 12:41 AM
SW is a disgusting grip and feels weird!!
Extreme eastern/ modified eastern is the best!!
Although, sometimes i feel like changing to semi western for a joke, and i actually hit some lovely winners.......... so maybe ill start to try it out and give it a chance and who knows, eventually eutalize both EXT. EASTERN and S.W.........

Sentinel
03-10-2008, 12:58 AM
SW is a disgusting grip and feels weird!!
Extreme eastern/ modified eastern is the best!!
Although, sometimes i feel like changing to semi western for a joke, and i actually hit some lovely winners.......... so maybe ill start to try it out and give it a chance and who knows, eventually eutalize both EXT. EASTERN and S.W.........

Nooo no, you must not use the disgusting SW even if you hit lovely winners with it. Just stick to the Eastern or whatever, and keep losing. For you losing with a cool grip is more important than winning. Don't compromise on your priorities.

(hey, just pulling your leg, don't get ruffled so quick)

my_forehand
03-10-2008, 03:29 AM
started out with the Eastern forehand,
but it is downright inconsistent, hard to sustain in rally with little or no topspin at all !!!

Changed to SW grip long time ago after my friends' advice,
been playing consistent with it and have a wicked topspin, very versatile !!!
So here I am, I want to join this club !!!

Welcome to the fold, phoenicks.

my_forehand, would you be so kind to show Phoenicks around ;-)

Why, yes of course, Sentinel.

Phoenicks, this is Sentinel, the coolest poster :) And this is Rickson; watch out for him.

my_forehand
03-10-2008, 03:31 AM

"Modified"? Explain.

DJG
03-10-2008, 04:03 AM
Well, since I picked-up the bat recently again, I decided it was time for a change on my forehand - I've always struggled, it didn't feel natural, etc. For the past 2 weeks I've been honing the SW grip (changing swings, etc. etc.), and judging by my recent practice sessions, my fh is finally starting to "click". It feels right for the 1st time in my life, I get control, pace, hell, I just love it.

Still some way to go, but I think I'm a member of the SW club for life.

my_forehand
03-10-2008, 04:25 AM
3) montx: feels the semi western looks solid
4) user92626: loves his newly discovered semi western grip
5) my_forehand: Storm Trooper AKA Thai Fighter (?)
6) Djokovicfan4life: "Rickson's comments crack me up"
7) tlm: "it is time to bury these old techniques."
8 )quicken: disgusted by the eastern forehand
9) moxio: "I use it and it's the best thing since sliced bread."
10) Leoboomanu: laughs at soy
11) CantBeBeat2: likes to use the sw grip for spin
12) FraNkcn: "I feel sexy when I hit like it"
13) msc886: almost western
14) CityHeightsTennis: from the city heights
15) [ GTR ]: knows that Federer uses the semi western
16) kicker magic: believes the semi western outweighs the other grips.
17) Tim Tennis: truly believes in the semi western forehand.
18 )[d]ragon: doesn't even know what an eastern forehand is.
19 )SalParadise17: even his coach envies him.
20) Double Fault: likes to camp out behind the baseline.
21) veryfatchocobo: wants to lose weight.
22) lilxjohnyy: grips are cyclical for him.
23) dave333: "Semi-Western is the grip for a new age of awesome tennis"
24) tennispro11: flies with the semi western
25) ogruskie: from the valley
26) Alexio92: uses a strong semi western
27) madamadadane: woke up with a semi western one morning
28 )jeffro93Z: went back to the semi western
29) zebano: likes the versatility of a semi western
30) g9clem: working out some kinks
31) tennis_player09: topspin and flat options turn him on
32) tennis_nerd22: laughs at his own comments
33) zapvor: "sign me up, baby"
34) wyutani: the new Santoro
35) smoothtennis: think tennis is a smooth sport
36) 1hand4ever: leader of the "didnt make it" club - it should actually be "didn't"
37) ohhgourami: eastern is crap
38) phoenicks: so here he is, wanting to join this club
39) Rafael_Nadal_6257: what the hell is a modified SW?
40) DJG: has never been to Kenya! :(

I just made your life easier Rickson :) and I gave them nice comments.

Oh god..I really am bored.

Djokovicfan4life
03-10-2008, 05:15 AM
The new Santoro, haha, I'll take credit for that one. :lol:

Rickson
03-10-2008, 06:49 AM
Good job, Storm Trooper.

doogoshly
03-10-2008, 06:56 AM
i suppose if i'm joining the 1hbh elite club, i should join the SW FH club too. thanks rickson!

Sentinel
03-10-2008, 06:58 AM
i suppose if i'm joining the 1hbh elite club, i should join the SW FH club too. thanks rickson!
You are joining all the good clubs, bro.
Welcome to both.

doogoshly
03-10-2008, 08:22 AM
You are joining all the good clubs, bro.
Welcome to both.

hahaha thanks man. i can't help it if i play the same way as the elite lol.

Djokovicfan4life
03-10-2008, 12:36 PM
hahaha thanks man. i can't help it if i play the same way as the elite lol.

Stick with us and you'll be wiping the floor with those eastern grippers and two-handers in no time. :twisted:

P.S. 200th post! Looks like we're ahead of the game in posts as well!

Rafael_Nadal_6257
03-10-2008, 03:38 PM
lol, when I said modified, it was a reference to the debate about whether Federer uses an eastern, an extreme eastern, switches between a eastern or western...and ive heard people call the grip he uses a modified eastern, so I called my grip a modified semiwestern, cuz i switch between an semiwestern and western depending on my preparedness (caught late or on time) and the height (higher balls use western, medium use semiwestern for pace, extremely low, use semiwestern to get ball over net or western to get some racquet head speed to whip the ball in hard)
my grip is basically an extreme semi western tho on most shots, so yeah...thats why

Sentinel
03-11-2008, 12:32 AM
lol, when I said modified, it was a reference to the debate about whether Federer uses an eastern, an extreme eastern, switches between a eastern or western...and ive heard people call the grip he uses a modified eastern, so I called my grip a modified semiwestern,

lol, you make it sound like Federer modified the eastern grip, and you've modified the semi-western.
Anyway, its fine to let the grip change a bit, personally I am too lazy to change away from the SW on low balls. Recently, I even returned some serves on the backhand with a SW forehand grip, I sliced them back.

my_forehand
03-11-2008, 03:28 AM
lol, you make it sound like Federer modified the eastern grip, and you've modified the semi-western.
Anyway, its fine to let the grip change a bit, personally I am too lazy to change away from the SW on low balls. Recently, I even returned some serves on the backhand with a SW forehand grip, I sliced them back.

Is it just me, does that part sound kinda weird? I return the serves to my forehand with a SW...

And I'm like Agassi.

Sentinel
03-11-2008, 05:55 AM
Is it just me, does that part sound kinda weird? I return the serves to my forehand with a SW...

And I'm like Agassi.
I said the serve was to my backhand, and I had the rack in a SW (forehand) grip, instead of moving to continental and slicing back (which even a moron would have done), I lazily just flipped my hand and sliced it back with the SW FH grip. I think it worked as a dropshot.

my_forehand
03-11-2008, 05:58 AM
I said the serve was to my backhand, and I had the rack in a SW (forehand) grip, instead of moving to continental and slicing back (which even a moron would have done), I lazily just flipped my hand and sliced it back with the SW FH grip. I think it worked as a dropshot.

Ohhh..:oops::oops:

Sorry, didn't read that part...hehe. Stupid me. *slap*

Djokovicfan4life
03-11-2008, 10:12 AM

Is your wrist OK? That would kill me to hit a backhand like that. :confused:

Sentinel
03-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Is your wrist OK? That would kill me to hit a backhand like that. :confused:
It was just a slice backhand compliment (for crying out loud). Not a hard drive, or all-out winner!

Actually, I rarely get to return serves. Usually I serve alone in the court. Play a lot of ralies and points with partner. Points usually start with feeding the ball underhand. So my serve return is weak.

I think with summer coming up, mebbe will be playing more dubs, which means more matches.

Sentinel
03-12-2008, 12:40 AM
I could just keep looking at this clip of Federer's FH (http://www.hi-techtennis.com/) day and night. So mesmerizing.

Rickson
03-12-2008, 09:36 AM
1-Rickson: founder of the Semi Western Forehand Group
2-Sentinel: "You mean there are folks still using the EF ? Shame."
3-montx: feels the semi western looks solid
4-user92626: loves his newly discovered semi western grip
5-my_forehand: The bounty hunter known as Boba Fett
6-Djokovicfan4life: never looked back
7-tlm: "it is time to bury these old techniques."
8-quicken: disgusted by the eastern forehand
9-moxio: "I use it and it's the best thing since sliced bread."
10-Leoboomanu: laughs at soy
11-CantBeBeat2: likes to use the sw grip for spin
12-FraNkcn: "I feel sexy when I hit like it"
13-msc886: almost western
14-CityHeightsTennis: from the city heights
15-[ GTR ]: knows that Federer uses the semi western
16-kicker magic: believes the semi western outweighs the other grips.
17-Tim Tennis: truly believes in the semi western forehand.
18-[d]ragon: doesn't even know what an eastern forehand is.
19-SalParadise17: even his coach envies him.
20-Double Fault: likes to camp out behind the baseline.
21-veryfatchocobo: wants to lose weight.
22-lilxjohnyy: grips are cyclical for him.
23-dave333: "Semi-Western is the grip for a new age of awesome tennis"
24-tennispro11: flies with the semi western
25-ogruskie: from the valley
26-Alexio92: uses a strong semi western
27-madamadadane: woke up with a semi western one morning
28-jeffro93Z: went back to the semi western
29-zebano: likes the versatility of a semi western
30-g9clem: working out some kinks
31-tennis_player09: topspin and flat options turn him on
32-tennis_nerd22: laughs at his own comments
33-zapvor: has a crush on Sharapova
34-Mansewerz: wants to play on the Dubai Hotel heliport
35-guitarplayer: has her grips mixed up
36-wyutani: uses a 2 handed forehand
37-greedyness: he even uses the semi western on serves
38-smoothtennis: like silk
39-blackfrido: likes burned corn chips
40-phoenicks: from Arizona
41-Rafael_Nadal_6257: feels his semi western is good enough
42-stav_babolat: is giving the semi western a try
43-DJG: calls his racquet a bat
44-doogoshly: wants to run the gauntlet by joining the best groups

Sentinel
03-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Today, I played with a new guy for about 30 mins. What shocked me was the topspin this guy was getting on each shot. Even when he hit a slow ball it just sprang up on me.

Since I have only one partner who can really play, and that chap (now I realize) can't topspin much, I never realized what topspin is all about !!!'

My forehand and backhand just broke down, due to bad timing. It took me quite some time to get used to it and be able to play, but frankly it was like a quite a milestone for me.

daku10
03-17-2008, 04:56 AM
hey guys...so how do you join this group? i started off with an EG but then realized that the SWG gave me soo much more spin...i have never looked back since i changed...the only thing is...i'm having a bit of trouble generating power...can any of you help me...oh, and i'd like to join the group...

bluegrasser
03-17-2008, 05:34 AM

Please......how old are you kid ???:confused:

Rickson
03-17-2008, 06:26 AM
Please......how old are you kid ???:confused:

Not as old as you, grasser.

Sentinel
03-17-2008, 07:02 AM
hey guys...so how do you join this group? i started off with an EG but then realized that the SWG gave me soo much more spin...i have never looked back since i changed...the only thing is...i'm having a bit of trouble generating power...can any of you help me...oh, and i'd like to join the group...
You are on, daku. You'll be there on the next update.

You'll have to tell us a bit more so our experts can answer.

bluegrasser
03-17-2008, 03:13 PM
Not as old as you, grasser.

Hey, I'm not that old , just very mature:???:

Rickson
03-17-2008, 03:15 PM
Hey, I'm not that old , just very mature:???:

I've never heard of a young fella playin a banjo!

Djokovicfan4life
03-17-2008, 03:59 PM

Looks more like a mandolin to me!

Rickson
03-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Looks more like a mandolin to me!

It's actually a violin, but grasser is so good he doesn't need a bow!

symon_say
03-18-2008, 07:37 PM
sign me in, i'm a beginner and my best FH shots are with SW my coahc just tell spin the raquets when i hit with the EF so SW is the grip.

daku10
03-19-2008, 12:42 AM
You are on, daku. You'll be there on the next update.

You'll have to tell us a bit more so our experts can answer.

Well, the thing is, I can hit decent topspin shots because the up and down motion comes very naturally to me...however...when I have to drive through the ball, i have trouble...my upper arm feels strained...i've tried bending my knees and springing up while hitting...i also bring my left shoulder parallel to the baseline before hitting...but everytime i seem to go for more, the ball sails long...i don't know how to control this shot at all...plus it hurts...i guess that's down to technique eh?

Sentinel
03-19-2008, 02:14 AM
Have a look at this ...
http://www.hi-techtennis.com/forehand/topspin.php
This shows hitting through the ball with a low to high motion.

See Nadal in action: http://www.hi-techtennis.com/video_sample/index.php?movie=nadal_leverage.swf

The main page (http://www.hi-techtennis.com/) has a wonderful clip of Federer hitting a fh.
He's hitting thru the contact point, low to hi.

Daku, I think you may be arming the ball, rather than first getting a unit turn with the shoulders. Why don't you check out the forehand clips on www.fuzzyyellowball.com first to get a better idea.

Rickson, where are you ?

daku10
03-19-2008, 07:18 AM
hey sentinel, thanks a lot for the links...

will get back to you guys if i have any more problems...

Rickson
03-19-2008, 07:22 AM
Just hit from low to high and not from high to low. That's the difference between topspin and slice.

bluegrasser
03-22-2008, 06:01 AM

Hey Rickson ! go to " Youtube" and search - Sierra Hull (salt creek) - it will blow your freegin mind - talking about a couple of 12 yr old kids. Let me know what you think sonny.:shock:

Rickson
03-22-2008, 08:22 AM
You mean this one? It's true what they say about seniors, they really do shrink as they age.

mandolin and banjo combo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evo6fb9sc7U)

bluegrasser
03-22-2008, 08:48 AM
You mean this one? It's true what they say about seniors, they really do shrink as they age.

mandolin and banjo combo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evo6fb9sc7U)

Funny - but seriously those kids rock..

Rickson
03-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Funny - but seriously those kids rock..

And to think, I didn't even know what a blue grass band was before.

metsjets
03-22-2008, 05:57 PM
i use eastern and semi western depending on the ball and where i am on the court. can i join?

Rickson
03-23-2008, 12:34 AM
i use eastern and semi western depending on the ball and where i am on the court. can i join?

I do the same thing too so the anwer is yes.

my_forehand
03-23-2008, 04:18 AM
I use the eastern when I'm about a foot back from the baseline. (Usually stand inside - more comfortable there and easier approach shots).

Djokovicfan4life
03-23-2008, 06:12 AM
I FINALLY conquered my problems with high balls to the forehand yesterday and "put a smackdown" on those short balls.

Thanks Rickson, you really helped me out. :)

Rickson
03-23-2008, 06:26 AM
I FINALLY conquered my problems with high balls to the forehand yesterday and "put a smackdown" on those short balls.

Thanks Rickson, you really helped me out. :)

You're welcome, but when did I do that?

Djokovicfan4life
03-23-2008, 06:28 AM
You're welcome, but when did I do that?

I think it's in this thread somewhere. I remember you telling me to 'put a smackdown" on the ball.

I guess you forget easily with all your post-whoring.

Djokovicfan4life
03-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Post #148.

Rickson
03-23-2008, 07:55 AM
Post #148.

Excellent! So you took that advice? I've been putting away short, high balls for the longest time like that. I couldn't even imagine how an efh could put away those balls, but I suppose some guys like the wimpy method (efh).

Djokovicfan4life
03-23-2008, 07:57 AM
Excellent! So you took that advice? I've been putting away short, high balls for the longest time like that. I couldn't even imagine how an efh could put away those balls, but I suppose some guys like the wimpy method (efh).

I was referring to high balls that were landing past the service line in my original post.

Litmstr10
03-23-2008, 12:45 PM
May I join in? I switched to the SW a few weeks ago from the EG, and I don't plan on going back. I'm still working out a few kinks here and there (the switch has been pretty easy so far), but I really love the increased topspin, and now when I strike it off a high bounce, I get much more pace. Frankly, I'm hitting the yellow-fuzzy crap out of the ball. Pretty sweet.

Djokovicfan4life
03-23-2008, 04:23 PM
May I join in? I switched to the SW a few weeks ago from the EG, and I don't plan on going back. I'm still working out a few kinks here and there (the switch has been pretty easy so far), but I really love the increased topspin, and now when I strike it off a high bounce, I get much more pace. Frankly, I'm hitting the yellow-fuzzy crap out of the ball. Pretty sweet.

You're in and that line would make a sweet signature quote! Just remember to vote our thread 5 stars!

Litmstr10
03-23-2008, 06:00 PM
You're in and that line would make a sweet signature quote! Just remember to vote our thread 5 stars!

Excellent. I just voted, and I'm happy to be a member!

Djokovicfan4life
03-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Excellent. I just voted, and I'm happy to be a member!

Better have been 5 stars, I'm sick of this 4 star rut that we're stuck in! :mad:

We deserve much better.

Rickson
04-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Better have been 5 stars, I'm sick of this 4 star rut that we're stuck in! :mad:

We deserve much better.

We're at 4.43. Once we're over 4.5, we'll be at 5 stars again.

tennisplayer1981
04-01-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm in. And my vote is a 5/5.

Rickson
04-01-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm in. And my vote is a 5/5.

Good for you, tp81! You'll get special recognition for bringing us back to 5 stars.

Vision84
04-01-2008, 08:17 PM
I switched from an eastern to SW last summer as the eastern wasn't good enough. Now I play a lot better apart from a severe shoulder injury.

Rickson
04-01-2008, 08:35 PM
I switched from an eastern to SW last summer as the eastern wasn't good enough. Now I play a lot better apart from a severe shoulder injury.

That was a very good move, mate. Another good move would be to 5 star our thread.

Sentinel
04-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Hey nice thread mates. I just gave you 5 stars. Keep it up !

Vision84
04-01-2008, 09:32 PM
That was a very good move, mate. Another good move would be to 5 star our thread.

Done. :)

10chars.

Rickson
04-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Done. :)

10chars.

Thanks, mate! You'll get a special comment on your member number.

Thanks go out to Sentinel as well, but what the heck took you so long to vote?

Djokovicfan4life
04-02-2008, 05:34 AM
I still have trouble getting my forehands to go deep enough into the court. I find that using the windshield wiper motion helps a lot, I'll be practicing that a lot today. Does anyone have any other advice for hitting a little flatter of a shot?

Not really flat, mind you, just flatter than it is right now. It looks kind of like Gasquet's at the moment, usually hitting somewhere around the service line and not really penetrating through the court at all.

P.S. Lets do our best to revive this thread, it's been kind of dead for a while! :(