PDA

View Full Version : Yonex vs. Wilson For Juniors

danniflava
12-18-2004, 07:28 AM
Okay, so almost everybody knows now that I am 14-years-old. I have played tennis for 4 years, and I think I'm in between 3.5-4.0. At least 5 of the other juniors (ages 12, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18) that I play with in my club seem totally horrified at the fact that I was thinking about buying a Yonex racquet. All of them love Wilson, Head, and Babolat. I thought that it might be because the look of Yonex racquets aren't as fancy as Wilson, Head, or Babolat, but they just plainly said that Wilson eacquets were better for juniors. I took that into consideration, seeing as I very, very rarely see a teenager using a Yonex racquet. Is this because Yonex racquets are just harder to play with? Is it because Wilson racquets just look better? Is it because we have grown up with Wilson? Is it because more players use Wilson than Yonex in the professional circuit?

Why do juniors just generally prefer Wilson over Yonex?

thejackal
12-18-2004, 08:35 AM
Wilson is more mainstream and well-known. Yonex are fine rackets as well but that being said I just chose a HPS 6.1 over a Yonex (I'm 15 btw).

Craig Sheppard
12-18-2004, 08:54 AM
Most likely the only reason you friends dont like Yonex are either a) they're not readily available and have never hit with them or b) their favorite players on tour use Wilson or Head or Babolat, or both.

Yonex racquets are quality racquets--many rank them as one of the highest quality racquets in terms of fit and finish. If they said to you "Wilson racquets are better for juniors", you should reply "You have no idea what you're talking about." Literally. There's no basis for that statement. Shoot, Martina Hingis was winning with Yonex when she was younger than you.

You should select a racquet based on how it fits your game and how it feels to you when you play it. Anyone who tells you one brand is "better" than another across the board isn't worth listening to. Now, if someone advised you a particular model is better than another for your particular game, I might listen to that person.

Craig

chicubs
12-18-2004, 10:34 AM
the good yonex racquets like the rdx mid and midplus are probably just too much too handle for a lot of juniors that age...But its mainly due to that they are not mainstream racquets and sold practically no where.

Roforot
12-18-2004, 02:19 PM
Is it not easier to get sponsored or get discount for wilson in the U.S? Economics may dictate. If not, go with whatever you play best.

danniflava
12-19-2004, 10:07 AM
Craig, some of the other juniors have been saying that with the way my generation is growing up, power tennis is what's popular, and Wilson gives it to the junior generation better. Do you agree with that statement?

andfor
12-19-2004, 10:17 AM
If a more powerful racquet is in order would you consider testing the RDX 300 series? I have not tried those two frames. I use the RDX 500 MP and find it has ample power for me. The 300 line is supposed to have more power the the 500 series.

I agree that there are some teaching pros and touring pros pusing and playing more powerful frames today. I guess the PureDrive and Surge for example are some of the leading frames in this category.

Just a thought? What do you think?

thejackal
12-19-2004, 10:30 AM
Out of the people my age I know or play with, we've got:

3 PD, 1 LM Radical OS, 1 Head i.x5, 2 Ncode 6-1 95, 1 Prince TT scream

me: I. Rad MP, HPS 6.1

danniflava
12-19-2004, 12:07 PM
If a more powerful racquet is in order would you consider testing the RDX 300 series? I have not tried those two frames. I use the RDX 500 MP and find it has ample power for me. The 300 line is supposed to have more power the the 500 series.

I agree that there are some teaching pros and touring pros pusing and playing more powerful frames today. I guess the PureDrive and Surge for example are some of the leading frames in this category.

Just a thought? What do you think?

I have considered the RDX 300. I find that I liked the RDX 500 more because more people were saying better things about it. I haven't heard much from the RDX 300.

Craig Sheppard
12-19-2004, 12:42 PM
danniflava, I agree that junior level tennis has more power now than ever before. I don't agree that Wilson is the only game in town to provide that power though. Any brand that has a full line of frames, Yonex included, will most likely have a model that is right for your game.

I suggest you find a great tennis shop near you with a demo program (or use TW's demo program), get a Wilson, a Head, a Yonex, etc and compare them back to back. If you think you play best with a Yonex, go with it, if you play better with a Wilson, go with that. Just because Wilson or Head may have the MOST frames, doesn't mean they have the best frames, or even the one that will be right for you. It's like me telling you which car to buy. I can't, because while mine fits my bill, you may feel more comfortable driving another. Same w/ racquets. That's why there's so many.

I haven't always used a "mainstream" racquet, and I even tried a Yonex once (didn't like it after a few months, but that's beside the point). I didn't pick them based on what other people on my tennis team were using, I picked them because they felt best to me. You're not losing any ground by using a racquet from a smaller manufacturer.

Craig

andfor
12-19-2004, 06:43 PM
danniflava, Craig's advise is very good.

Demo a bunch of racquets. I look forward to hearing what you choose.

danniflava
12-21-2004, 06:13 AM
danniflava, Craig's advise is very good.

Demo a bunch of racquets. I look forward to hearing what you choose.

Well, I'm going to Sporting Life in a couple of days, and I think I'll demo the Prince Shark, Prince Tour Diablo, Wilson n6.

timmyboy
07-07-2005, 06:04 AM
if ur curious about yonex, try them. they aren't bad at all. that's what the head wilson bab users try to tell you, when they have no grounds. I have a friend who started tennis for 2 months and I'm teaching him about racquets (the only reason is that he lives in another town) and when i told him i'm getting a yonex, he said "yonexs arent very good." and then i spend half an hour barking at him for his unruly statement. he blocked me from msn. anyway, somehow, people think yonexs suck (I did, until i randomly demoed one) but they are always groundless.

Feņa14
07-07-2005, 06:17 AM
When I was 13 I was using the SRD Tour 90. Yonex have that feel that you either love or hate and many Kids prefer to be like all the others and use the "in" frames.

The isometric head shape takes some time getting used to but I am a big Yonex fan. You should certainly give them ago and take pride in being different!

Kevo
07-07-2005, 07:11 AM
My wife plays with a Yonex Ultimum Ti 210m. It is a light tweener racquet with good power and excellent feel. If I were a teenager I would certainly consider this one. I like hitting with it myself, and the only thing that it doesn't have that I need in my game is weight. I play a hard hitting game, and heavier racquets add the extra control that I need.

I've also hit with the RDX 300 which my brother now plays with. It's a good frame as well. As are most of the other frames from the big name brands. Just be sure to demo several different types of frames to see what fits your game.

Return_Ace
07-07-2005, 08:22 AM
I'm 15, so not much older, I've used the RD Ti-80 for around a year now, its a great racket. Like the RDX500 MP but less power i think, i've played with the Mid, (more powerful than that) and there was a better feel for me, not "buttery" but soft,......Though Yonex is a good brand, and as Fena14 said the Iso. Head takes a little getting used to but is lovely.........

counterpunch
07-07-2005, 09:51 AM
Ive played with yonex since i was 14, they are really good, you should definitely try them. I played with head and wilson before that, and they didnt compare to the yonex, which i much prefered.