PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Tennis Courts

DaveG
02-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Does anyone have indoor courts in your area? I am looking at putting in a few here where I live? Lot's of players and no indoor courts. It gets HOT and hunid here in the summer and somewhat cold for us here in the winter (Hi's 35-40) but with the time change no-one can play at nigh becouse it is cold here.

Thanks

iradical18
02-04-2008, 08:58 AM
No indoor courts in my area, or any in the Greater Sacramento area as far as I know.

Bodacious DVT
02-04-2008, 09:41 AM
We've got indoor courts. lots of them. all over the place

DaveG
02-05-2008, 07:51 AM
I guess my question was more of a "If you build it will they come" type question. Are your indoor courts full? any particular time of year?

origmarm
02-05-2008, 07:54 AM
Mine are full to the point of bursting all through winter and nights during the summer (lights are difficult to get permission for over here). Depends on where you are, I imagine there is less call for this stuff in rural areas. IMO if you built it, they will come but I would ask lots of these players if you can

gully
02-05-2008, 08:10 AM
We recently had a local private indoor tennis facility go bankrupt -- much to our collective chagrin. The place had had six courts, went to five, then, four, and later three over its 30-year lifespan (western Wisconsin). Each successive court was replaced by the flavor of the day -- racquetball, a pool, nautilus/aerobics equipment, etc. Simply put, the owner tried to compete with non-tennis venues and failed, despite the courts staying reasonably busy.

Our winters are much worse than yours sound, though, and indoor tennis is the only alternative from November - March. Many of the locals now commute 30 miles to an indoor club across the river in Minnesota to play. Some drive further for leagues.

There's a lot to consider: who will build and pay? Where's the revenue -- in memberships, fees, leagues/lessons/events? Is there a pro to manage and draw people to the courts? Would any schools or teams provide any income?

Given that tennis courts are costly and require substantial square footage per participant, I'd think a new indoor facility a shaky proposition, especially when it would be used intensely just a few months of the years, as yours might. Almost no one plays indoors here from May-September, by the way, unless the rain is torrential.

I say all of this hoping, though, that we get a new facility here in the future.... For it to happen, it takes some capital, a vision, some passion for tennis, and a real plan.

Moz
02-05-2008, 08:13 AM
You could consider putting up a bubble round the courts during the winter and taking it down during the summer. It costs a fair bit to put it up and take it down though.

A couple of places over here with bubbles are also really struggling with energy bills at the moment...

origmarm
02-05-2008, 08:28 AM
Thats a good point. Mine are subscription based, its a club, albeit a private one

ollinger
02-05-2008, 09:59 AM
I live in the chilly NYC suburbs; of the four indoor tennis facilities closest to me, three have folded in the past 10 years (one is now a radiology facility, one a warehouse, one has batting cages and rock-climbing walls). This is not a business where success is automatic, or even likely. The largest, best run, and most diverse (with gyms, pool, etc.) facilities seem to have the best chance.

PROTENNIS63
02-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Does anyone have indoor courts in your area? I am looking at putting in a few here where I live? Lot's of players and no indoor courts. It gets HOT and hunid here in the summer and somewhat cold for us here in the winter (Hi's 35-40) but with the time change no-one can play at nigh becouse it is cold here.

Thanks

Indoor courts tend to be up North. And in the summer, if you live in a place with a lot of public tennis courts, no one will come indoor. Indoor courts are used when it is extremely cold, not when you sweat.

joncoke
02-05-2008, 10:27 AM
There is one where I live but its coupled with basketball gymnasium and some other outdoor stuff. It has eight courts and stays pretty busy with tournaments and leagues mostly.

zapvor
02-05-2008, 10:31 AM
where are you located daveG?