PDA

View Full Version : ST. VINCENT IS TOOOOOOO... EXPENSIVE !!!

ProStaff 85
12-18-2004, 09:57 AM
Is it really worth to buy this such high price racquet. I have several of them that are very close condition to this one (nearly mint but not brand new), and I only pay $200-$250 each.

http://cgi.*********/ws/****ISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=66831&item=7122326 690&rd=1

CliffH
12-18-2004, 10:03 AM
yep.

Craig Sheppard
12-18-2004, 10:06 AM
Paying $700 for a tennis racquet is absolutely insane UNLESS you're a collector or want to hang it on your wall or something. At that point it becomes more than a racquet, it's art and the price becomes less relavent, IMO.

If your intent was to play with it, let this one go and buy a used one. Or better yet (not directed at you specifically, but St. Vincent maniacs in general)--stop fixating on the St. Vincent as some sort of uber-racquet and use something that newer that won't break your bank. Bet you the difference that your tennis game won't notice the change.

Craig

ProStaff 85
12-18-2004, 11:07 AM
Craig-

Even though I am a St. Vincent maniac but not CRAZY for this one. Well St. Vincent is stiffer and heavier compare to the Taiwanese and Chinese version as well everybody that played with it have known about it. Furthermore, now I switch to play with a very cheapy racquets like DUNLOP MAXPOWER with Kevlar/Fiberglass and also the HEAD XRC FiberGlass. These vintanges racquets play great and right now I am in love with it.

SocalTennis
12-18-2004, 11:20 AM
What is so special about St. Vincen racquet?

PrestigeClassic
12-18-2004, 02:08 PM
I noticed a playability difference between a St. Vincent and a China, enough for this poor college student to prioritize owning and playing a St. Vincent over other fine things, like eating sometimes. Actually, a St. Vincent makes its place alongside a nice bottle of red wine and cheese and crackers. A St. Vincent feels like it comes from the same mold as a China but is mixed with 1980's solid racket manufacturing techniques. I don't know if it is a lot stiffer (I forget exactly how the China plays), but it definitely has more power and more feel; it feels like the whole racket was chiseled out of a solid piece of carbon with some sweet Kevlar thrown in.

I don't consider art synonymous with anything that comes off an essembly line, or anything that is mass-produced. These things were made to be played! If you scratch it, who cares, as long as you hit a sweet half-volley that time. There's plenty of additional St. Vincent sticks out there; Wilson made them for what, eight years, and 13 years after the factory burned, you still see them often enough on the Internet. I'd hate to think what might have happened had Al Gore not invented the Internet; I would heard of the St. Vincent only in passing during Sampras matches.

Also, I have owned three St. Vincents (currently just one), and they were all lighter than a China. China is 12.6 ounces or thereabouts, while a St. Vincent is closer to 12.5 ounces. Perhaps the later St. Vincent that Sampras stocked up on is thicker, heavier, stiffer, or what have you. I couldn't imagine anything significantly better than the usual earlier St. Vincent sticks that I've had, but I'd like to see!

Regarding the St. Vincent grommets that were listed by this person, the person doesn't know what he's talking about, and/or he's going for a scam. The St. Vincent grommets, while being able to fit a St. Vincent racket like a hot knife through butter, aren't going to fit a "Chicago," AKA River Grove, Illinois, model. At the very least, you'll need some after-market throat grommets, and maybe cut the strips/bumper into pieces. The throat grommets aren't long enough for a River Grove model. If he tried it, he would know.

Furthermore, as of late, I've read here often enough that Wilson will just send you the grommets if you ask for them. I couldn't imagine Wilson charging more than normal prices ($25.00??) for grommets. Grommets are made of this beautiful thing called plastic, it tends to be pretty light-weight and inexpensive.

All hail St. Vincent!

joe sch
12-18-2004, 04:07 PM
racquets like DUNLOP MAXPOWER with Kevlar/Fiberglass and also the HEAD XRC FiberGlass. These vintanges racquets play great and right now I am in love with it.
There are lots of other vintage small head, dense graphite models that play great, like the 2 mentioned above. Look at the strokes that Mac was able to hit with the dunlop max 200g. I personally would much rather have that racket than the st vincent, although both are great player sticks. There were several diff variants of the max 200g and Im happy to have any version that is in structural good condition. I dont understand why more prostaff 60 players are not the same. You all are soo lucky that you can still find new 60s for less than the price of many of the new air shells :wink:

drakulie
12-18-2004, 04:22 PM
St. Vincents have a much different feel than the Taiwan/China models. They are much stiffer, more power, swing heavier, and better sweet spot. The newer models feel like you are hitting with an aluminum can, compared to the St. Vincents.

Until a racquet manufacturer comes out with something that feels better to ME-I will continue to play with them. I don't see why it bothers other people that we enjoy/prefer playing with the St. Vincents. It doesn't bother me that other posters enjoy playing with the crap they play with (hypercarbon, titanium, intellifibers, liquid metal, ncode, bionic material, etc). These racquets do not make people play better either. But if it makes you feel good buying a new and improved racquet-more power to you. Personally-I think they are all crap and all of you are waisting your money.

PS: If you are patient you could get a St. Vincent for around $30-50.00 on ****. Just have to know how to look. Also, garage sales. I got one not too long ago for $2.00 (almost new, with the cover).

Ultra2HolyGrail
12-19-2004, 06:19 AM
A wilson ultra2 will make a st.vincent feel like a aluminum can IMO :lol:

drakulie
12-19-2004, 07:11 AM
Ultra2HolyGrail wrote:

A wilson ultra2 will make a st.vincent feel like a aluminum can IMO

Exactly my point. If someone feels good playing with the ultra2, I am sure they will feel like everything else feels like tin can. Why should someone who enjoys playing with this racquet be forced to play the "new and improved" technology?

Again, the newer technology has not really impressed me at all. And there is no way I am going to stop playing with a racquet I feel comfortable with just because the current pro players have paintjobs of the newer stuff.

Ultra2HolyGrail
12-19-2004, 08:03 AM
Looks like someone snatched up the st.vinnie for $700 :shock:

Drakulie, i dont blame you switching racquets...I too agree all of the new wilsons ARE crap....Seems like anything made in that china factory is crap...However i think there still are good quality newer racquets such as head, yonex, volkl, that are high quality...

drakulie
12-19-2004, 09:07 AM
Ultra2, yeah I am sure some there could be an argument made for some of the newer racquets. But why should I change what I like to play with, just to have something newer? Newer does not mean better. Most new technology changes every 1-3 years anyway, promising to be better than its predecessor. The truth is-it isn't.

The St. Vincents were made for about 9 years.

TNT
12-19-2004, 06:42 PM
PEOPLE GIVE IT UP WITH THIS st.VINCENT STUFF; I DON'T KNOW IF YOU NOTICED A GUY NAMED FEDERER BUT HE'S BEEN PLAYING WITH THAT "CHEAPO CHINA 6.0" AND LEFT EVERYBODY IN THE DUST THIS YEAR, BESIDES I DON'T SEE ANY OF YOU st. VINCENT WORSHIPERS BRAKING OUT ON THE TOUR ANY TIME SOON.

Newby
12-19-2004, 07:35 PM
do we have to get back on the topic of what racket federer is REALLY using?

TNT
12-19-2004, 08:03 PM
He's not playing with a St. Vincent and that's all I'm concerned with.

SocalTennis
12-20-2004, 08:39 PM
how can you tell from just looking at it if it's indeed a ST. Vincent?

drakulie
12-21-2004, 04:53 AM
TNT Wrote:

BESIDES I DON'T SEE ANY OF YOU st. VINCENT WORSHIPERS BRAKING OUT ON THE TOUR ANY TIME SOON.

This is perhaps the dumbest remark I have read on this forum to date. TNT, there is very few people "breaking out on the tour", regardless of the racquet they are using.

The racquet does not make you break out on the tour. If it does, please give us all the secret racquet so I could "break out on the tour". I will happily stop playing with my PS 85.

drakulie
12-21-2004, 04:59 AM
By the way, here is a perfect example of what I was talking about earlier. Already, people asking when the new Head Radical will come out. I suppose they are not satisfied with the current Liquid Metal/Intellifiber/titanium/twin tube-Radical. They are still searching for something with more...? Who knows what.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/viewtopic.php?t=26567&highlight=

TNT
12-21-2004, 10:28 AM
I play with a PS 85 myself although the china version. I do think that the majority of new stick are not player's racquets, but although the ones searching for "something with more...? Who knows what " are doing it at this end of the spectrum while you drakulie are searching for the same thing at the other end.

drakulie
12-21-2004, 12:21 PM
TNT wrote:

while you drakulie are searching for the same thing at the other end.

Again, pretty dumb comment. I am not searching for anything. I have a racquet that I have been using since the mid 80's, and am satisfied with the way it performs. I am comfortable with it, so why should I change it to something I do not like, and plays like crap.

I am not out looking for the "newest/best" thing. I realize that a racquet only does so much, and the rest is up to the hands that wields it. On the other hand, there are people on this forum who are dreaming that one day they will find a racquet that will play for them while they sit on thier asses, rather than going out and try to improve their strokes.

My most recent post with the link to the post about the radical lines proves this. The liquid metal racquets just came out and here are a bunch of people already looking for the next best thing.

TNT
12-21-2004, 03:10 PM
where did I ever say you should change racquets??? let the ones that haven't found what racquet best fits their game to look for it. some older model radical or any other models are not for sale anymore so those who can't find to demo them can only wait for the newer generation of racquets to come out. For example I played for a long time with the first generation radical trisys 260 mid plus and I just couldn't get used with anything else. Anyone who has played with it knows that is is unlike any other radical model that came out since. Even so I never thought to stock up on it so when production came to an end I could only find some beaten up ones for sale that cracked after a few years. So if some find the i.Radical more suited to their game than the LM radical or any other model currently produced let them hope that some future generation racquets will have what they are looking for. By the way I don't think that anyone thinks that the racquet can play for them "while they sit on their sit on their asses", they just search for the same great feeling racquet you seam to have found.