PDA

View Full Version : Ever pushed against a pusher?

Shashwat
02-04-2008, 03:20 PM
I was playing yesterday against this kid who goes to my rival school. I know his style of play. Consistent on both wings and a consistent serve. So i just felt like pushing and the match went on for a little more than three and a half hours.

I ended up winning 7-5, 6-7 (3-7), 7-6 (9-7) :D

Now i will never try to play my opponent's game, i'll play my own game and keep attacking. Learnt my lesson.

Tempest344
02-04-2008, 03:51 PM
I was playing yesterday against this kid who goes to my rival school. I know his style of play. Consistent on both wings and a consistent serve. So i just felt like pushing and the match went on for a little more than three and a half hours.

I ended up winning 7-5, 6-7 (3-7), 7-6 (9-7) :D

Now i will never try to play my opponent's game, i'll play my own game and keep attacking. Learnt my lesson.

I've done that before
against a Guy I loathe

luckily now i can own his ***

CAM178
02-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Yes. I only do it when I'm in peak shape, and I do it to have fun with them. They thrive off beating someone mentally, and there is no better feeling than beating them at their own game.

TonyB
02-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Never. I play my own aggressive, attacking style of play regardless of who I play against.

The only danger when playing a pusher is to get overconfident and think the point is over when it's really not. Always make sure you're ready for another shot, even if you hit what you think should be a winner.

I actually have no problems at all with pushers. I suppose it's because I'm very confident at the net and most pushers don't have the capacity to hit a good passing shot under pressure. And unless their lobs are perfect, they're usually easy to put away as well, since they're almost always hit flat (without topspin).

Be aggressive. Don't be passive, because that's how pushers beat you.

Shashwat
02-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Yes. I only do it when I'm in peak shape, and I do it to have fun with them. They thrive off beating someone mentally, and there is no better feeling than beating them at their own game.

Yeah it was great beating him in his own game. And i only pushed and had fun because i had nothing to do for another 4 hours till Superbowl :).

Never. I play my own aggressive, attacking style of play regardless of who I play against.

The only danger when playing a pusher is to get overconfident and think the point is over when it's really not. Always make sure you're ready for another shot, even if you hit what you think should be a winner.

I actually have no problems at all with pushers. I suppose it's because I'm very confident at the net and most pushers don't have the capacity to hit a good passing shot under pressure. And unless their lobs are perfect, they're usually easy to put away as well, since they're almost always hit flat (without topspin).

Be aggressive. Don't be passive, because that's how pushers beat you.

Yeah i sometimes have problems with pushers but i know what to do. Attack and go to the net, but sometimes you just have those days when nothing works and you lose.

Vision84
02-04-2008, 07:22 PM
I've done that in the past. However I just make sure I keep the ball deep and capitalize on a short ball. Though I usually get to impatient to play this style.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
02-04-2008, 08:36 PM
I've heard that if you're not naturally a pusher, then pushing against a pusher is a very bad idea. They've done it much longer than you have, and are much better at it.

theace21
02-04-2008, 09:36 PM
That is what pushers do. They get you out of your comfort zone, and cause you do change your game. You become for conservative, play tight and end up in a pushing battle. If you play long enough, you will find a steady player that gets everything back. In the pros they are called grinders...

mcpon
02-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Oh crap, that means I'm a pusher.

Steven87
02-04-2008, 10:40 PM
No because my whole game is to play a style that makes it difficult for my opponent

35ft6
02-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Yes, I've pushed against pushers. Not really push so much as mixing up the pace big time. One guy in particular, he was fast and consistent and loved pace. He would have beat me for sure if I tried to hit through him.

PROTENNIS63
02-05-2008, 04:25 AM
I have also pushed before. But never for a whole match. I will mix it up and get my opponent off balance. Excellent strategy.

my_forehand
02-05-2008, 04:29 AM
The only pusher I know of is scared of me (hates playing me) :) *proud*

Richie Rich
02-05-2008, 04:29 AM
when i push against pushers i usually lose. if i play my regular game against pushers it's 50/50. strategy that works best for me is to wait for a short ball and come to the net to cut off their angle. along with this i also bring them to the net as this gets them out of their comfort zone. works pretty well

Tempest344
02-05-2008, 04:34 AM
Heavy spin....thats all it takes

Serve em Up
02-05-2008, 04:44 AM
Move them:

L to R
R to L
Front to Back
Back to Front

Pushers push best when you hit pace to them in the middle of the court. They feed on you getting tired by hitting so hard. They use pace against you.

Make them work for every point by making them run.

Dedans Penthouse
02-05-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm wary of pushing against pushers; they usually push back ..... :neutral:

I like to bring 'em into the forecourt, then:
hit a 'bomb' right at their kiwis. Since they're fish-out-of-water at net, they'll be looking to scamper back to the baseline after getting to the next ("bring 'em in) dropshot. At that point, while they're retreating, I "drop em" again. Pushers love side-to-side. Pushers do not like "up and back."

A pusher likes setting up camp at the baseline? Bring 'em in ......then BOOM! -- aim a forehand howitzer right at their stones. Imho, a great tactic--and, non stop fun for the whole family! After you have them shell-shocked, you can pick your poison: soft, angled 2-ball pass, half-lob winners, whatever.

So whenever I think "pusher" and then think of bringing 'em in and then lowering the "boom," I put two and two together and think of that late 70's DISCO song by Mistique: "Push, Push, In the Bush." Great fun for the whole family!

Moz
02-05-2008, 12:58 PM
nice Steppenwolf reference...

kidz
02-05-2008, 09:05 PM
I beat a pusher today 6-2 7-6(5) .. i played my game in first set, then 2 nd set, i was tired n just hit everything back ,wait for his errors lol

mcpon
02-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Who likes pushers here?

Commando Tennis Shorts
02-05-2008, 10:57 PM
It's nice to hear success stories here about people beating pushers at their own game, but most of the time, this isn't going to happen. You usually can't beat a pusher by pushing. When you start pushing, that's usually when they put you away. They are much more familiar with the pusher game and much better at it than you. If you play your own game against a pusher, rather than pushing back, you are more likely to come out on the winning side (if your game is solid enough).

Tempest344
02-06-2008, 01:22 AM
Who likes pushers here?

you mean their gamestyle?

or the people themselves?

I always find they are up themselves and rate themselves highly

mcpon
02-06-2008, 06:10 AM
you mean their gamestyle?

Yep. (10 char)

madmanfool
02-06-2008, 06:51 AM
once, for 2 points, i was down 2 set points so i didn't want to take any risks. won the points and the set, also the match