PDA

View Full Version : how do i get taller?

dAgEnIuS
12-18-2004, 12:43 PM
i'm 14 years old and about 5.6 feet tall...

i was growing at least a third of an inch every month about 1 or 2

years ago...

but recently, i find myself not growing AT ALL no matter how much i

eat and drink milk...

and i find my my legs getting crooked between the ankle and the

knee....

I know that i don't have to be tall in order to play tennis, but i

think being a bit taller would give me an advantage on my serves

and volleys...

So does anybody have an advice how to grew even a little bit

once you stopped growing???

Trey
12-18-2004, 12:49 PM
unless you are planning on taking HGH you are genetically going to be limited assuming normal nutrition.

I wouldn't worry about it. First how tall are people in your family? Lots of people hit growth spurts in their late teens. If you end up being 5'9" well there are some pros that are that height and some even shorter.

8)

dAgEnIuS
12-18-2004, 12:56 PM
well, my familly isn't very tall either...
my dad is just a wee bit taller than me and my mom and my 17year old sister is about 3~4 inches shorter than me..
and i'd say im desperate to be even 5'9"...

Ronaldo
12-18-2004, 02:04 PM
Google gravity boots and add light dumbells

vin
12-19-2004, 05:33 AM
Short people have a lower center of gravity and can move more effectively as a result. Think of Michael Chang. Maybe that should be part of the basis of your game.

If you have bad posture, you may be able to squeeze out an extra inch or two by improving it, but I wouldn't use any drugs, hormones, or exercises to alter your genetic height. How would you like to be short AND have permanent problems?

I recently read somewhere why it is bad to hang upside down, but I can't remember much of it. I don't think it's a good idea, but if you insist on it, do your research. Maybe discuss it with a doctor and/or your parents.

At 14, you have a lot of years ahead of you and a lot to learn. Consider what effect things you do now will have in the future and if you might regret them later on.

Here's another thing. Check out www.**********.com. The author is a 5.0 player, a serve and vollyer, and I think he's only 5'5". Maybe you can send him an email about the topic.

Ronaldo
12-19-2004, 06:57 AM
My bad, didn't mean inversion boots and hanging from a bar but these, http://www.hammacher.com/publish/71354.asp?source=google&keyword=gravity%20boots&cm _ven=NewGate&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Holiday%20Previe w&cm_ite=gravity%20boots

andfor
12-19-2004, 10:24 AM
Ronaldo, are you serious or kidding? How is bouncing up and down going to make you taller? If this really works how about a Pogo Stick?

raftermania
12-19-2004, 10:35 AM
I don't know andfor, but it looks like he will have a helluva lot of fun either way!

andfor
12-19-2004, 11:06 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Trying to hold the dumb bells and Pogo at the same time could be very challenging and even dangerous for the novice Pogoer. When I was young and pogoed I could pogo with no hands. If you could do that then you could hold the weights while pogoing.

I was about a 5.5 poger back in the day. Unless you're at least a 5.0+ poger do not start off trying to hold the dumbells and pogo at the same time.

For the moment I am getting a chuckle out saying the word POGO.............

Ronaldo
12-19-2004, 04:35 PM
Uh, just meant standing up in those boot makes u taller. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

andfor
12-19-2004, 07:46 PM
That make sense. But what does the light dumbells have to do with it?

MegacedU
12-19-2004, 07:57 PM
You don't want to be too tall. I'm 5'8'', I'm a girl, and when you're tall you're 75% more awkward than everyone else. If you have blonde hair make that 85%. Take it from me, I'm tall and blonde and I hit my head on things, get hit in the head, etc etc. Plus, I wouldn't worry about your serve. There are other things you can do to enhance that.

Oh and by the way, If you're a guy, guys grow until they're 23. You've got lots of time.

Marc C.
12-21-2004, 03:44 AM

You must be kidding!!

Ace Rimmer
12-30-2004, 10:28 PM
Studies show that continued physical activity during the teen years extends the growth period as far as the early to mid 20's for males and up to the late teens / early 20's for females. This is partly because the blood supply to the secondary ossification centres is more active, allowing more growth to take place before these centres are fused onto the primary centres of the bone. Also, with adequate protein intake, the body will manufacture greater amounts for HGH and enhance structural growth while the secondary centres are still active. Therefore, if you want to grow taller, do not sit on your butt watching TV or playing video games - stay active and get plenty of dietary protein.

Nosoupforyou
01-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Your height is purely genetic. There is nothing that can modify your height. Sorry, but you're limited to your genetics here.

andfor
01-04-2005, 09:26 PM
I knew a guy once who went to a doctor about this very problem He was much shorter than 5'6". I think he had some kind of sugery to his pituitary gland and took HGH. He grew afterwards.

See your doctor and talk with him about it.

Read this before you go to the doc.

http://kidshealth.org/teen/diseases_conditions/growth/growth_hormone.html

Hope it helps.

Good luck

Rickson
01-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Forget the milk, take calcium tablets. The calcium doesn't actually make you grow taller, but strong bones will certainly help more than hurt you during your growing years. Your growth will be determined by your genetics so don't think about it too much and just let nature take its course.

andfor
01-06-2005, 06:47 AM
Rickson. Good advice. I probably was not clear. As I am not a doctor it does not sound to me as if this guy has a medical problem. I wanted to post the information so he could see for himself and make his own call. Certainly do not let yourself worry to about it.

There have been many successful pro athletes who are small/short. In tennis we have the Rochus brothers, Eddie Dibbs, Harold Soloman and Michael Chang to name a few. I think Rios was only 5'8" but listed at 5'9"

Rickson
01-06-2005, 08:20 AM
There is a type of surgery that could make you taller, but it's mainly performed on dwarfs.

Ronaldo
01-06-2005, 08:37 AM
Ckout this website, http://www.betaller.com/

Rickson
01-06-2005, 08:41 AM
Ckout this website, http://www.betaller.com/
That website's a scam. It's very funny though.

andfor
01-06-2005, 10:54 AM
This thing has come full circle. Funny, serious, funny again. Back to the gravity boots and dumbells idea!

Power Game
01-06-2005, 12:30 PM
I knew a guy once who went to a doctor about this very problem He was much shorter than 5'6". I think he had some kind of sugery to his pituitary gland and took HGH. He grew afterwards.
Hope it helps.
Good luck

This kind of treatment is not for everyone. This is caused by lack of hGH (human growth hormone) (hypothyroidism....etc), and can have different causes. This treatment is also not 100% safe and without side effects, that's why your doctor probably won't give it to you unless it is serious.

I would only be concerned if both your parents are tall (and basically most of your family) and you are not. Since this is not the case just load up your diet with Ca and K. There are many things that stunt growth, so make sure you aren't involved with any of those (I'll leave them up to you to research). Also, you are 14, you still have a good 6 years until you stop growing.
Good luck

finchy
01-06-2005, 04:06 PM
tip: do not take too much calcium. my friend who is 16 already has calcium deposits in his knees. probably genetic, but i'd ask a doctor about everything.

tennismx
01-06-2005, 05:22 PM
Don't worry too much! You're only 14, and guys grow a lot through their teens. My brother sure is. You probably have a few more growth spurts coming.

I'm only 5'5, but I'm a 17 year old girl, so I probably won't grow anymore, BUT heels are great. I'm not sure if you could run well on the court with them, though...

No, seriously--stretching lengthens your muscles, so stretch frequently. And don't slump--stand and sit up straight. Also, yoga lengthens and tones if that is not too girly for you.

Eat your veggies, drink your milk, and be patient--growing takes time. You can't fight nature.

Ronaldo
01-06-2005, 09:54 PM
Do not ignore, http://www.growtaller.net/high-heels.html

Ronaldo
01-06-2005, 09:58 PM
tennismx, wear these oncourt, http://store.5thfloorproductions.com/plst.html

tennismx
01-07-2005, 04:34 PM
tennismx, wear these oncourt, http://store.5thfloorproductions.com/plst.html
Those are soooo ugly, dude. Hate to break it to you, but today those are worn by prostitutes. The current look is bright colored flats. Don't you read your fashion magazines?

Ronaldo
01-09-2005, 06:26 PM
mx, those r the height of fashion

Serve-And-Volley
01-09-2005, 08:04 PM
I know how you feel but being short has it advantages. I still serve and volley on almost all my first serves and even some of my second serves. I also am sort of muscular since we can't be tall we might as well be strong. I also read if you keep working out that you will grow. So don't think of anything as a weakness just use it as a launchpad to get other areas stronger.

equinox
07-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Stand upside down and scream really loud.

mike53
07-17-2009, 11:31 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/48/Streckbett.jpg

SystemicAnomaly
07-17-2009, 02:10 PM
tip: do not take too much calcium. my friend who is 16 already has calcium deposits in his knees. probably genetic, but i'd ask a doctor about everything.

To my knowledge, no link between calcium deposits and a high intake of calcium has ever been established. From what I've read, reducing calcium intake is never a treatment for calcium deposits. However, it is conceivable that extremely high levels of calcium taken or an extended period of time can possibly cause other problems -- perhaps, hypercalcemia.

Note that calcium is best utilized when vitamin D levels are adequate. The sun is probably the best source of vitamin D. Milk, which contains calcium, is commonly fortified with vitamin D. Note that some OJs are available that are enriched with both calicium and vitamin D. Calicum is often supplemented with Mangesium = Cal-Mag supplements.

Bud
07-17-2009, 04:43 PM

years ago...

eat and drink milk...

knee....

and volleys...

So, the OP is now 19 years old... let's hear from him as to his final height! :)

topher.juan
07-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Did you ever see the movie Gattaca? OP should wait until he's 18-19 then consider such operation.

Team_Volkl
07-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Guys, I'm a 23 year old guy and 5'4" barefeet.

Yes, someone always has it worse. You'll learn to accept whatever you are when you become an old man like me, hah.

SystemicAnomaly
07-17-2009, 05:41 PM
So, the OP is now 19 years old... let's hear from him as to his final height! :)

Wow! Didn't realize that this was a 5 yr old thread. Unfortunately the OP hasn't posted anything in the past 2 years, so we may never see a response from him.

plasma
07-17-2009, 06:06 PM
jumping on a trampoline will make you taller, jump for 20 or more minutes a day. The girl who said being tall means being akward should save her dumbass comment for other girls. Obviously being tall means getting more in life for a guy, feeling more confident, etc. Tallness is a gift.
Women loooove tall guys. Being tall in boxing is often a greater advantage than strength. Being tall feels wonderful. Run and jump and play and your body will naturally elongate and grow super tall. THe best way is to play as much tennis as possible.

reesespiecestennis
07-18-2009, 02:24 PM
^^ that was kind of uncalled for.

Ronaldo
07-18-2009, 04:23 PM
jumping on a trampoline will make you taller, jump for 20 or more minutes a day. The girl who said being tall means being akward should save her dumbass comment for other girls. Obviously being tall means getting more in life for a guy, feeling more confident, etc. Tallness is a gift.
Women loooove tall guys. Being tall in boxing is often a greater advantage than strength. Being tall feels wonderful. Run and jump and play and your body will naturally elongate and grow super tall. THe best way is to play as much tennis as possible.

Agree, in fact just watching girls jump on a trampoline 20 minutes or more a day seems to make me taller.

Noveson
07-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Hey man I was 5'3 going into my freshman year of high school. By the start of Junior year I was 6'2, and now I'm closer to 6'4 than to 6'3. Not time to worry yet.

pvaudio
07-18-2009, 08:13 PM

Hope it helps.

Good luck
Do not recommend this, it isn't necessary.

pvaudio
07-18-2009, 08:20 PM
dagenius, I'm just going to lay this out as straight as possible: don't even worry about it. Trust me on this one, when you're younger, there is a lot of "competition" to see who is going to start shaving first, who can feel up the blonde girl in social studies with the huge rack first and who will break 6ft tall first. At 14, I was about 5'5. I'm a junior in college now and as far as I can tell have stopped growing at just under 5'11. It's the perfect height for me.

There are far more things you can do on the court when you're not huge. You will be a lot more agile than most. If you're worried about how girls will react to you being shorter, again, they don't. A great friend of mine has women falling all over him and is no taller than 5'5. It's personality.

So, basically what I'm trying to tell you is that you really haven't even hit your main growing stage yet, and even if you have, it won't even matter in the future. You'll have just as many friends and play just as good tennis. Eating more calcium will NOT make you taller, and taking growth hormones is quite frankly one of the stupidest things I've ever seen posted on this forum and am actually upset someone thought it was a viable solution. You are 14 and are still growing. Your balls are going to be boiling with testosterone for the next few years, so just wait until you're about 20. By the time you're there, you'll either be taller, or realize that it doesn't matter in the slightest.

Mdubb23
07-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Wear heals.

Mansewerz
07-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Pray at night.

Ronaldo
07-19-2009, 05:37 AM
Wear heals.

Peewee's platforms http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVKsd8z6scw

plasma
07-19-2009, 12:22 PM
c'mon guys, be serious. All I did was play tennis tournaments, and hit balls all day and I tower over most of you guys. How many posters here are intelligent enough to admit that a person can affect their own height?
How many other posters here have spent significant time with kids who were stunted by malnutrition.
I went to a poor place where beggar kids were beaten once, one of many. My rich gf at the time sped back to the states. I stayed a couple of months to study their martial art but wound up being a mentor to the street kids who were beaten by authorities, family and teachers.
I taught them safely what I had to endure headshots, headaches and damage to learn, good wing chun blocking.
As I walked down the dirt street every day I would hear the cries of these tiny undergrown worker kids, begging for their next lesson...
"Boxing Man" they would say "boxing Man"..."yay" ...Boxing Man"

MesQueUnClub
07-19-2009, 12:51 PM
^^^:D :D :D

Off to jump on a trampoline :D

Mick
07-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Hey man I was 5'3 going into my freshman year of high school. By the start of Junior year I was 6'2, and now I'm closer to 6'4 than to 6'3. Not time to worry yet.

your chance of developing a serve like karlovic one day is greater than most of the people who have posted on this thread :shock:

Ronaldo
07-19-2009, 02:28 PM
c'mon guys, be serious. All I did was play tennis tournaments, and hit balls all day and I tower over most of you guys. How many posters here are intelligent enough to admit that a person can affect their own height?
How many other posters here have spent significant time with kids who were stunted by malnutrition.
I went to a poor place where beggar kids were beaten once, one of many. My rich gf at the time sped back to the states. I stayed a couple of months to study their martial art but wound up being a mentor to the street kids who were beaten by authorities, family and teachers.
I taught them safely what I had to endure headshots, headaches and damage to learn, good wing chun blocking.
As I walked down the dirt street every day I would hear the cries of these tiny undergrown worker kids, begging for their next lesson...
"Boxing Man" they would say "boxing Man"..."yay" ...Boxing Man"

So proper nutrition is more effective than specific exercises? http://www.growtaller4idiots.com/?hop=darbank

plasma
07-19-2009, 03:36 PM
I'm just saying I taught boxing to poor kids who huddled together on the streets to keep warm when they slept at night. They worked in the day. Many of them were 16 and looked 12. This was a few years back in Kerela, India.
Short of being to toal d-bag, what is your point sir? I told of my own story and how I grew tall, and of how kids I taught and befreinded, mentored and loved, who lived as slaves, were very short and undergrown due to malnutrition.
if you have any questions feel free to ask, unless they're stupid and argumentative and disrespect and discredit the honesty I bring...
These kids were given a protein milk subsidy to keep them alive and didn't have the protien to grow.
wtf are you asking me dude?????
seriously???

pvaudio
07-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Any kid who can spend time chatting on an internet forum is not malnourished, so that doesn't even apply.

WildVolley
07-19-2009, 04:15 PM
My best advice is to get enough sleep, eat quality whole foods, and make sure to get plenty of vitamin D.

Too much stress, too little sleep, and poor nutrition kept people from reaching their potential height during the industrial revolution. Some people today almost only consume junk food and don't get much sleep during their teen years. They'd probably be taller if they ate better, including animal protein and fats, and got more sleep.

plasma
07-19-2009, 05:22 PM
I love that industrial revolution info. The nervous systems function is highly underrated and misunderstood

Ronaldo
07-19-2009, 06:41 PM
I'm just saying I taught boxing to poor kids who huddled together on the streets to keep warm when they slept at night. They worked in the day. Many of them were 16 and looked 12. This was a few years back in Kerela, India.
Short of being to toal d-bag, what is your point sir? I told of my own story and how I grew tall, and of how kids I taught and befreinded, mentored and loved, who lived as slaves, were very short and undergrown due to malnutrition.
if you have any questions feel free to ask, unless they're stupid and argumentative and disrespect and discredit the honesty I bring...
These kids were given a protein milk subsidy to keep them alive and didn't have the protien to grow.
wtf are you asking me dude?????
seriously???

Seriously, you cannot be talking to me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJNnDCOK_gw

charliefedererer
07-19-2009, 07:11 PM
Bump.
Thread posted in 2004.
One of several revived by equinox.

pvaudio
07-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Holy ****, how did I not notice this?

plasma
07-20-2009, 06:06 AM
that was the funniest god damn video I've ever seen. sooooo well done...hillarious...it just get's more absurd and funny, I love it!!!!

Ronaldo
07-20-2009, 07:57 AM
that was the funniest god damn video I've ever seen. sooooo well done...hillarious...it just get's more absurd and funny, I love it!!!!

This thread is as nuts as the old, recommend a racquet for a beginner threads. Always included a Wilson PS 6.0 85.

LanEvo
07-21-2009, 10:35 PM

years ago...

eat and drink milk...

knee....

and volleys...

puberty man, search for it on google, and for ur age ur tall