PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions on a topspin/american twist serve

chrisab508
03-22-2004, 06:20 AM
I just want a reliable second serve, i don't care what it is, because right now if i need a 2nd serve i have to hit it real slow over the net. Any drills that you guys can suggest to learn the easier of the two? i've read all the articles online that you can think of reading, and still can't get it.

Thanks.

Bungalo Bill
03-22-2004, 07:37 AM
There is a good drill you should use. Go to a court with a basket of balls. If your working on just spinning the ball faster, I would stand back at the fence and spin the ball as fast and as high as you can and watch the action you get on the other side of the court.

Dont worry about if it lands in the box, your not working on that yet. Once you have the feel of how fast your racquet should move and hit the ball, then start to try and keep the same spin but aim for the service box.

If your working on speed and you believe you have a good service motion, then you should practice, practice, practice. Nothing replaces practice.

If you can be a little more specific I am sure all of us can help you with some more drills and be more specific.

chrisab508
03-22-2004, 08:41 AM
well, I have tried this serve before, and what i do is i throw the ball up a little closer to my body than normal and a little closer to my head than normal, then i bend my back and just swing my racquet up and nothing but up (with continental grip) and i do get a lot of spin, however, i've only gotten it over the net once, plus i don't even know if im doing it right, or what this serve is even called.

GregoryB
03-22-2004, 05:24 PM
the name of this serve is:

*drum roll*

THE KICK SERVE

:roll:

brijoel
03-22-2004, 08:44 PM
actually if you hit just straight up, that'd be top spin i do believe. kick serve would be if you came over the top of the ball, in the sense of curving the racquet over it.

ma2t
03-28-2004, 04:42 AM
I just want a reliable second serve, i don't care what it is, because right now if i need a 2nd serve i have to hit it real slow over the net. Any drills that you guys can suggest to learn the easier of the two? i've read all the articles online that you can think of reading, and still can't get it.

Thanks.

Topspin would be the clear choice over twist as far as which to learn first. You can also begin by adding a little topspin and then add more later once you get the idea. SIDE NOTE: If you're serious about learning a new serve, just be prepared to lose points (and games and matches) at first when using it during matches. After you learn how to hit a topspin serve in practice, you might want to try using it for all serves (first and second) during matches. I know this sounds suicidal because it means you might hit some of them too short and to the forehand. No worries, eventually, you'll be able to avoid that. The key is to give yourself two tries at the topspin serve during each point that you are serving. If you plan to only use it for second serves, you'll be hesitant to try it on big points because you won't be confident (initially) and you'll end up double-faulting all the time and then you might be prone to giving it up altogether.