PDA

View Full Version : my feedback on the PS 6.0 95...

finchy
12-18-2004, 07:28 PM
Hi, i just hit with my new PS 6.0 95 today and it felt like HEAVEN!!!!

changing from my surge was a slap in the face today but it was soooo worth it. i can basically tell the ball to do whatever i want with this magic stick! and it feels so smooth hitting with it, i'd swear im hitting with butter. since i was used to hitting with a way lighter racquet, it might take some time to realign my timing. sometimes, i feel myself getting to the ball late with my racquet, but it is still worth it. my one handed backhand was feeling great when it worked. i was not playing my best though because i was on a full stomach and it was a night with some semi-flat balls, but it still felt good.

the only downside to it is my serve. i can put tremendous spin on the ball, but i cant get it in very much. the good thing though is that my coach said i have improved on my consistency since the summer (we havent hit together since july when i was playing with the surge). wow, my arm feels great. btw, i have it strung with Prince Orignal Syn gut (no dflex) @ 56 pounds. i thought i could string it a bit lower because of the power difference between my surge and this racquet and because i needed something not too tight.

anyone else feel the same way? btw, I LOVE THIS RACQUET!!!

Ryoma Kun
12-18-2004, 07:51 PM
glad to hear you have found your racquet!

have u tried out the 85 yet??? if you want butter than the 85 is your racquet. the 95 is great too though. i mostly use the 6.0 85 as a training racquet to hit the sweetspot more consistantly.

my usual racquet is the slazenger probraied henman

finchy
12-18-2004, 08:01 PM
i have never hit with the 85. this was the first time hitting with this racquet and i am so happy i have found it.

if i can consistently get my mechanics right and warm up correctly, i would plow through the ball all day long! my backhand slice has to be my best improvement though. it feels great and stays fast and low!

RedGinseng
12-18-2004, 10:07 PM
Sometimes I want to switch to a less demanding racquet and actually I'm thinking about it seriously but I can't make up my mind. when I'm outpowered by my hard-hitting partner who's bigger and taller than me with a more powerful racquet and he makes me run side to side, I wish I had a more forgiving one. But when I feel good and hit the ball on the sweetspot, It's one of the sweetest racquets. I know it's me who's responsible for my poor shots but there are more forgiving racquets out there so It's hard to decide whether I should dump my prostaffs and cop some less demanding racquets or not. Maybe the answer is I should just work out and train harder :)

BreakPoint
12-19-2004, 12:05 AM
finchy,
Would I steer you wrong? Did I steer you right or did I steer you right? :wink:

BTW, you should be able to string it up to 60 lbs with a basic syn. gut like Prince Syn. Gut and still get a soft but crisp feel from this racquet. I string mine at 59 lbs. with Gosen OG Sheep Micro 16g and it feels great. :D

I'm sure you'll learn to serve with it over time. It's one of the best serving racquets out there IMHO. Great for volleys, too!

intense2b
12-19-2004, 04:24 AM
I agree with Breakpoint....its one of the best serving racquets of all time. I play a game where I set up four cones in a box. Out of the 4 strategically placed cones I usually am only able to hit one cone with a bucket of balls ...on a good day maybe I can hit two. With the ncode I hit three with not even half a bucket.

finchy
12-19-2004, 10:37 AM
lol breakpoint. thanks alot! actually, im thinking of keeping the tension low to compensate for the power loss. it helps the racquet do some of the work, not just me all the time. last night, i couldnt keep my eye on the ball (partially because it was night and it was cold, drying my eyes alot) and i could probably fix that during the day or what not. volleys were great with this racquet but i had one really bad ball.

my coach his a hard passing shot to my forehand volley that was so fast, i framed it and it torqued my wrist. it hurt a bit, but i just shook it off. the TW review for this racquet was very true in that u have to have really good mechanics in order to volley well.

with my surge, i just about never went to the net due to control problems, but now, with my improving slice/approach shot, i will most likely come in half the time now. it does become a chore to lug this beast around though. getting used to this weight will be a huge task for me (im not exactly the biggest person at my age (15)). i will however work as hard as i can. i will be going to john newcombe's tennis ranch in january so hopefully ill be ready to play my heart out there.

BreakPoint
12-19-2004, 10:45 AM
finchy,
I'm sure you'll get used to the weight soon enough. The PS 6.0 95 swings very, very light for its static weight. Now, the nSix-One Tour, nSix-One 95, Tour 90, PS 6.1 Classic, HPS 6.1, and PS 6.0 85, those ARE heavy sticks to lug around. The PS 6.0 95 feels like an 11 oz. stick to me in comparison. You should have no problem with it.

intense2b,
Wow! We finally agree on something! Great!! BTW, I read the Bill Scanlon book. Very interesting and a fun read, despite the few inaccuraccies. :D

SocalTennis
12-20-2004, 07:47 PM
Damn fellas, I just bought a used 6.0 95 today, hit with it for 5 minutes, and came the "crrracccckkkk" and it broke right in the middle of the throat area where the main string go through. I'm so bumped out right now. Is the 6.0 that cheaply made?, although it's used but the racquet seem to be in great shape. But I have to admit, it was a good five minute though.

finchy
12-20-2004, 08:39 PM
ouch, thats sad to hear socal. i dont think 6.0's are that cheaply made.

because you bought it used, it was probably used ALOT. playing and stringing graphite racquets generally creates microscopic fractures in the fiber, weakening them gradually over time and severely damaging for each stringing (from what i've read).

it would also help telling what string you used.

AndrewD
12-21-2004, 12:39 AM
Okay, I'm assuming given the topic of this thread that the answer to my question will be the PS 6.0 95 but I'll ask anyway.
Of the PS 6.0 95 and the nSix- One 95 did everyone find the PS the better racquet? It's rated as a stiffer frame, was that highly noticeable?
They're both a touch heavier than my Precision Mono and a little stiffer (Mono rates 62 for flex) but I picked up the nSix today and it felt fantastic in the hand, much better than the over large or over wide type.

Definately would appreciate the input as both frames come in at around the $280 mark here in Australia.

BreakPoint
12-21-2004, 12:56 AM
The stiffness rating of the PS 6.0 95 is very misleading. It feels more like it should be rated 60 or under because it has a flexible hoop which makes the entire racquet feel very soft and forgiving. The nSix-One 95 definitely feels stiffer and more powerful to me. Also, due to its extremely headlight balance, the PS 6.0 95 swings more like a 11 to 11.5 oz. racquet, which shouldn't be a problem for anyone to swing.

AndrewD
12-21-2004, 01:53 AM
As it's very head light, did you find it hard to generate good power with the PS 6.0 95 BreakPoint? How do you think it would handle low tensions? My Mono is strung at 45 (no, I dont just push the ball I do have a full swing but like the extra touch) although should probably be tightened up to around 50lbs. Would either deal with that better.

Never used a Wilson before and know it doesnt have anything to do with flex, swingweight or power but I have to say, going purely on feel, they've got the most comfortable handle shape Ive encountered. Just sits 'right' in the hand, at least for me.

bertrevert
12-21-2004, 02:06 AM
feel [is] very soft and forgiving [...] due to its extremely headlight balance, the PS 6.0 95 swings more like a 11 to 11.5 oz. racquet, which shouldn't be a problem for anyone to swing.
so that earlier comment that is was perhaps a sort of tweener wasn't entirely in jest - that is the PS 6.0 95 is better than the nSix- One 95 for the weekend player, still a serious player, just one wanting a little bit more of a forgiving racquet than a player's frame?

weed
12-21-2004, 04:25 AM
Breakpoint,
This is off topic but I know how you like the ps 6.0 95 so much and I was wondering what other racquets you enjoy playing with
I really like the prostaff but I want to demo other racquets before I buy this one

finchy
12-21-2004, 10:43 AM
feel [is] very soft and forgiving [...] due to its extremely headlight balance, the PS 6.0 95 swings more like a 11 to 11.5 oz. racquet, which shouldn't be a problem for anyone to swing.
so that earlier comment that is was perhaps a sort of tweener wasn't entirely in jest - that is the PS 6.0 95 is better than the nSix- One 95 for the weekend player, still a serious player, just one wanting a little bit more of a forgiving racquet than a player's frame?

whoa whoa whoa, the PS 6.0 95 is not a tweener is ANY way. sure the swingweight might fool you, but the static weight will still tire your arm. that allows it to plow through the ball. the 6.0 is not necessarilly better than the ncode 95. it depends on the player and how they feel with both. u should demo both and post your feedback.

btw, the 6.0 95 is a players frame. lol.

BreakPoint
12-21-2004, 01:07 PM
Yes, the PS 6.0 95 is definitely a player's racquet as you do need to have good stroke mechanics to use it. It is low powered and will not do any of the work for you. You have to do the work and you will get out of it what you put into it. It also has a small sweetspot for its head size. The big plus is that it's easier to swing than most player's racquets but still give you good stability and a solid feel due to its static weight. Allows you to whip the racquet head through quickly on serves and on groundstrokes to generate spin, but at the same time, still puts weight behind your shots.

AndrewD,
I've never strung mine at 50lbs but the recommended range is 55-65 so I would think 55lbs should be no problem. The thing about this racquet is that you can string it as tight as 65lbs and still get good feel out of it. I string mine at 59 - 60lbs which is tighter than I've strung any of my previous racquets. BTW, I agree that Wilson has the best grip shape - for me anyway. :D

bertrevert,
The PS 6.0 95 is a player's stick as I discussed above. You get most of the same benefits as most player's sticks except that it won't tire your arm and shoulder after a few hours of play. I have never had any arm, elbow, nor shoulder pain nor soreness after using the PS 6.0 95 no matter how long or how much I play even several days in a row. :D

weed,
These are some racquets I've tried this year that I also like: Yonex RDX 500 Mid, Slazenger Pro X-1, Wilson nSix-One Tour and nSix-One 95, Prince Tour NXG Mid and MidPlus, Head LM Radical MP, ProKennex Ionic Ki 5, Wilson ROK 93, and Volkl Tour 10 V-Engine MidPlus. Check them out!

finchy
12-21-2004, 02:54 PM
lol breakpoint. sounds like you are trying to start a PS 6.0 95 cult. hahah. i have no problem with that.

kv581
12-21-2004, 05:26 PM
weed,
These are some racquets I've tried this year that I also like: Yonex RDX 500 Mid, Slazenger Pro X-1, Wilson nSix-One Tour and nSix-One 95, Prince Tour NXG Mid and MidPlus, Head LM Radical MP, ProKennex Ionic Ki 5, Wilson ROK 93, and Volkl Tour 10 V-Engine MidPlus. Check them out!

Care to compare Slaz X1 to PS 6.0 95? On paper they look rather similar. Both have low swing weight. Both are 95 sq in. Neither is super stiff nor flexible. I know you've compared PS 6.0 85 to Slaz in one of the TW comparison reviews, but I would be interested to see PS6.0 95 in the mix as well.

In fact, how would you have scored PS6.0 95 had you included it in your comparison study?

BreakPoint
12-21-2004, 11:17 PM
kv581,
The Slaz X-1 is much stiffer and more powerful than the PS 6.0 95. The X-1 feels like a lighter version of the PS 6.1 Classic or HPS 6.1. It has a very muted feel due to the System X technology in the handle which absorbs most of the shock and vibration. In comparison, the PS 95 has a sweeter feel and more touch and control due to more feedback.

Hmmm....I think I would have rated the PS 6.0 95 about the same as the X-1 because it really comes down to what you're looking for and your style and level of play. Since the X-1 has more power, one can get away with more compact strokes and still generate good pace with it. Not true with the PS 95 which requires a full, long stroke. The X-1 also has a larger sweetspot and can give you a little extra help. With the PS 95, it's all you, so it's even more of a player's stick in which you control everything and the stick doesn't give you anything more than you want. So I think a lower level player can do better with the X-1 than with the PS 95. Both are worth a demo. :D

bertrevert
12-22-2004, 01:22 AM
whoa whoa whoa, the PS 6.0 95 is not a tweener is ANY way. sure the swingweight might fool you, but the static weight will still tire your arm. that allows it to plow through the ball. the 6.0 is not necessarilly better than the ncode 95.

Thx heaps, that's great advice. I imagine I am not alone at liking the look of the nCode 95 from a distance but really wonder if I could live up to it - or heave it round. After a year or so I found I couldn't live up the MuscleWeave 200g 95 a few years ago. But now after a few detours I am starting to want to swing back to a 95 sq. in. head, I dunno the nCode 95 sure looks purdy...

I am adding lead to most racquets and I guess a demo wouldn't half sort this out, ta muchly.

How often per week would you need to be hitting to manage hefting a player's racquet? I manage hitting once-week + competing once-week... (I use a 300g with added lead)

AndrewD
12-22-2004, 04:04 AM
bertrevert, I got a chance to have a hit with the nCode 95 and loved it. Never found it too heavy, actually found it quite light but was able to easily generate power and spin ( I was hitting with the 16x18 which accounts for the extra spin). Personally, I'd probably want to add a little extra weight to the head

I know everyone has different ideas about what level you need to be at to use a 'players racquet' but I don't think it's quite as easy as saying you must be a certain skill level to wield it effectively. My opinion, and only my own, is that if you can hit consistantly, get good depth and pace on your shots without sacrificing accuracy then you can use most all of the 'players' racquets. That said, you probably wont do those things if you aren't at least, roughly, a 3.5
Guess it comes down to whether you yourself play the ball or if you need the racquet to do more of the work.

I didn't actually like the cosmetics first time I saw them but sure they'll grow on me. I'd still like to try the 18x20 and the PS 6.0 95 before I make a decision but the nCode 95 will be hard to beat.

finchy
12-22-2004, 09:48 AM
actually bertrevert, i felt that way because i was switching from a surge, a racquet an ounce or more less than the PS 6.0 95. to me, the ncode 95 felt quite heavy (while i was using the surge, a few months ago) and did not work well with my one handed backhand. it was my friend's and i used it for about 30 minutes one day strung with Lux BB ALU power at 65 lbs. that was around the time i was trying to recoup from a shoulder injury, so that might have affected my results as well.

if you are adding alot of lead to the racquets you use now, i would definitely go for a demo to feel the weights of these two racquets.

btw, i would want to play at least 4 times a week for practice and 1 time competitively. do note, that i am not playing much right now because it is very wet and cold.